Home

Iron Man 2 (Spoilers)

HK-42

ironman2x-large.jpg

The first image from Iron Man 2.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2009-04-30-first-look-ironman2_N.htm

Can't wait. What was everyone's opinion of the first movie, and what is there hopes for the 2nd?

Personally I loved the first, but disagreed with the ending when he announced he was Iron Man, he should have remained secret.

Ideas?

EDIT: Marvel's Slate:

marvel_javits_061008.jpg

Iron Man was one great movie. Downey Jr. is definitely the prefect choice for the role of Tony Stark. What I hold against the first movie is that they changed the origin storyline location from China to Afghanistan. I also hope the villain in the sequel is going to be the Mandarin.

Loved the first. I remember being a little skeptic before watching, but it did surprise me. Definetely watching this.

What I hold against the first movie is that they changed the origin storyline location from China to Afghanistan.

I thought it was an interesting move, myself. Making it somewhat more contemporary.

The first one was awesome... the first flight scene made me want one of those suits right now! The next suit with the red and gold was sheer awesome. :carms:

The second one will likely be just as good... Though I'll miss Terrence Howard as Rhodes.

Should be pretty sweet, Iron Man was possibly the best Marvel superhero movie yet. I am really looking forward to this and really all of Marvel's upcoming movies.

Personally I loved the first, but disagreed with the ending when he announced he was Iron Man, he should have remained secret.

Iron Man's identity was never secret in the comics so it was best that they follow that.

The first one was awesome... the first flight scene made me want one of those suits right now! The next suit with the red and gold was sheer awesome. :carms:

The second one will likely be just as good... Though I'll miss Terrence Howard as Rhodes.

Q.F.T!

Also loved those little funny things. It was a cool movie, but all those little 'Downey' looks and fun things made it great. Imo, better then the first Spiderman.

They aren't overrated if they pull in the reviews and cash.

IMO over-rated, and I don't mean run of the mill over-rated, I though the movie was horrible, boring and dragged on like a race between 2 snails that had brain damage.

And raking in cash doesn't make a movie good, either.

IMO over-rated, and I don't mean run of the mill over-rated, I though the movie was horrible, boring and dragged on like a race between 2 snails that had brain damage.

Considering it was made with a trilogy in mind, it follows what most 1st movies tend to do. A long, long introduction with some character elements gotten out of the way as to make way for a sequel in which all that can be replaced with explosions and all that other fun stuff Americans love in their summer blockbusters.

And raking in cash doesn't make a movie good, either.

True, but over rated would imply that the estimations were set too high for the movie to live up to. Not only was it a box office hit, but it got stellar ratings which would imply an exact opposite of over rated.

Considering it was made with a trilogy in mind, it follows what most 1st movies tend to do. A long, long introduction with some character elements gotten out of the way as to make way for a sequel in which all that can be replaced with explosions and all that other fun stuff Americans love in their summer blockbusters.

That's probably the problem then.

True, but over rated would imply that the estimations were set too high for the movie to live up to. Not only was it a box office hit, but it got stellar ratings which would imply an exact opposite of over rated.

True, I won't bother arguing against that

Loved the first movie. I think they hinted at a sequel there, too. I'm glad to see I was right...however, I'm not sure a sequel can *quite* live up to such a spectacular first.

Iron Man was one great movie. Downey Jr. is definitely the prefect choice for the role of Tony Stark. What I hold against the first movie is that they changed the origin storyline location from China to Afghanistan. I also hope the villain in the sequel is going to be the Mandarin.

Well, the palpable element, the feel of "relation to today" is part of what makes these movies so successful. True I did kind of get disappointed to see that.

While I want to see mandarin make an appearance...I'm afraid that is still very much in the air...

True. I do think, though...that War Machine was hinted at in the first.

Also I would not be surprised with the ending of the second Hulk movie that there is an Avengers movie on the horizon.

IMO Stan Lee is doing with his movie exactly what Walt Disney co. did with theirs: spacign them out enough to get people practically killing to see another title. I'd estimate Iron Man 2 isn't going to be seen until ~2011. Maybe.

True. I do think, though...that War Machine was hinted at in the first.

Also I would not be surprised with the ending of the second Hulk movie that there is an Avengers movie on the horizon.

The guy who will become War Machine appeared. And he knows about the Iron Man suit. It's the fighter pilot guy, I believe.

And there is a post-credit scene after the Iron Man credits showing THIS.

So there have been some hints in this movie :)

The guy who will become War Machine appeared. And he knows about the Iron Man suit. It's the fighter pilot guy, I believe.

Sigh, another difference from the comics. :rolleyes:

Whatever works I guess.

And there is a post-credit scene after the Iron Man credits showing THIS.

Sammy...Hohohoooooo!

So there have been some hints in this movie :)

As well, yes.

Well, I just hope it doesn't get over-hyped and set up for disappointment.

I have high hopes for all the marvel movies like everyone here.

Thanks big Z.

Rhodes and yes... hence his looking at the MK-1 suit and saying "Next time baby!" near the end of the film.

I hope not. Part of the allure of the first movie was that it was somewhat character driven rather than relying on big explosions to fill the time.

Meh. 10 billion sheeple are often wrong. Doesn't mean that this movie was over-rated, but it does mean that we can't rely on the masses to determine what is good and what isn't.

And before I'm accused of elitism, I'll point out that Slumdog Millionaire and Crash both won (multiple) Oscars, so even the snooty upper-crust is sometimes guilty of drinking the kool-aid.

• 4 weeks later...

Wait, I thought his origin was in Vietnam. After all, the first Iron Man comics were made in the 60's.

Of course, all of that is now invalid, because Marvel's "rolling timeline" continuity means that the characters origins continually roll forward to ~1-10 years ago in order to make sense (Of course, there are some exceptions, such as Captain America). Wait a minute, did I just say comic book continuity makes sense?! That's the most blatant falsehood I ever typed.

I will see Iron Man 2 if War Machine makes an appearance, otherwise I'll end up checking it out on demand or renting it. It looks like the whole Marvel lineup is coming to theaters soon enough, with Thor, Captain America, and the Avengers all being slated for 2010-2011 releases. I wonder what's happening on the DC end of the stick?

• 6 months later...

Archived