Home

Improving TALES OF MONKEY ISLAND!

Guy.brush

The skycolor looks a little too much like lagoon water for my taste, but that is my opinion.

Actually, you're right to comment on that; the sky in that screenshot is actually polluted with something (to avoid spoiling the game, I don't want to say.) Said pollution makes the sky green until you, y'know, un-pollute it.

EDIT: Also, no, that's not a ship, it's a building.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No of course not Fealiks. MONKEY ISLAND - IS - style. I wouldn't want FINAL FANTASY: SPIRITS WITHIN characters running around my beloved Caribbean Islands.

But to sum it up: In my view of Monkey Island I wouldn't mind if a secondary character would die some time. There would be real actual DEATH (!) [sHOCKING].

Remember there were some pretty gruesome animations in LECHUCK. e.g. when his leg breaks apart in the tunnels.

I'm not talking horror or mayhem and massmurder here, but why not do a game with something like a FULL THROTTLE premise? Where the stakes are high. Where there is something to be gained, lost.

The eternal wedding struggle between LeChuck-Elaine-Guybrush is growing a little old by now. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have the old fellas and themes back, but I wouldn't mind for the universe to grow a little, both in size and in maturity.

While I completely agree with what you're saying, I don't think it's something that can really be helped. The third and fourth games established a style for a lot of newcomers (myself included, technically.. but I've played the first couple of games a lot too - in fact, I've just come off MI2 :p). That style was more child-friendly and cartoony than the first two games, and they can't just ignore the style of half the games, it would be too damaging to sales. That is, if they went back to the dark, gruesome overtones of LeChuck's Revenge, a lot of people would think "hey, this isn't the Monkey Island I got into ten years ago! This isn't what I know and love! These aren't my pants! What's going on here? Why am I in a tent? Whose mints are these?". I do, however, understand your frustration - you're probably thinking "it would be easy to just go for a middle ground, why don't they?" - I can sympathise. I just don't think it would be as easy/desirable as you think.

Also, in regards to Elaine and Guybrush's marriage, Mike Stemmle said in an interview that they've come up with a list of reasons why Elaine is still with Fancy Pants to make it more believable, and as for LeChuck, I'm not sure his motives still lie in Elaine's bra - I think he just wants to get rid of Guybrush now in order to sustain his loveable role as villain and secure future titles (he can probably only get so much work outside of adventure games).

But to sum it up: In my view of Monkey Island I wouldn't mind if a secondary character would die some time. There would be real actual DEATH (!) [sHOCKING]

But there HAS been death in every Monkey Island game :confused: CMI was full of it! I was actually about to list it then but I didn't realise how much there was until I started thinking about it. Way too much to list! And some pretty gruesome deaths too... that fold down bed on Blood Island always gave me chills... Heck, even Guybrush dies in that game!

Haha, that COG guybrush is excellent... it should get added as an emoticon here.

Done. :guyofwar:

Sweet :guyofwar: hehe, all that work paid off :) This was the first time i ever tried to make an animated gif, it was pretty fun.

the original Gears gif was created by a pixeljoint user named AdamAtomic

the original Gears gif was created by a pixeljoint user named AdamAtomic

Ahh yes, I was wondering who originally made that. I couldn't actually find it on google images and was starting to think you actually made it yourself :eek:

Good that you've finally given credit where it's due though :thmbup1:

Since you are so obsessed with who's wrong and who's right, can you tell me exactly that "first point" that I was wrong about?

LOL, yeah right, I'm going to waste my time on you again. You made claims that you said certain things, I posted direct quotes from your post clearly showing you said something completely different. You just ignored them.

We already buried this hatchet, TWICE! But you can't stop can you?

Waste of time arguing with you. You just love stirring up trouble. I have better things to do than feed trolls. You get off on internet squabbles and ****ting on other people for no reason, I have better things to do. So peace out.

LOL, yeah right, I'm going to waste my time on you again. You made claims that you said certain things, I posted direct quotes from your post clearly showing you said something completely different. You just ignored them.

We already buried this hatchet, TWICE! But you can't stop can you?

Waste of time arguing with you. You just love stirring up trouble. I have better things to do than feed trolls. You get off on internet squabbles and ****ting on other people for no reason, I have better things to do. So peace out.

I think his post was a retort to yours (hence the quotes); he wasn't just trying to bring it up again out of nowhere :p

Yeah, let's just drop it again though :)

(I'm guessing it's really mostly done with textures, which would take a lot longer to produce).

At the moment, I'm hearing that on the backgrounds the textures have the lighting baked in, but the characters are using the lighting from the engine, which is something they are working on and tweaking at the moment.

But yeah, it would take longer to produce so I hear.

But to sum it up: In my view of Monkey Island I wouldn't mind if a secondary character would die some time. There would be real actual DEATH (!) [sHOCKING].

Remember there were some pretty gruesome animations in LECHUCK. e.g. when his leg breaks apart in the tunnels.

I'm not talking horror or mayhem and massmurder here, but why not do a game with something like a FULL THROTTLE premise? Where the stakes are high. Where there is something to be gained, lost.

I agree about the stakes as well. I mean there was less of a horror element in Secret of Monkey Island, but there was still the underworld, the cannibals, and all of the ghosts. Not all of those elements were completely over the top at first, but to me it feels they have been for the most part castrated since the last game. Curse of Monkey Island had some of those elements as well and did convey a lot of the piratey, dark, voodoo world well, but maybe the roller coasters were a little bit too much over the top? The ending puzzle and demise of LeChuck was just so anticlimactic that it gets hard to judge what Larry Ahern and Jonathan Ackley were going for overall.

Maybe not a huge dramatic death scene, but some one could be killed for sure, as there is death all around in the whole series, maybe elements of it on every screen, just not so graphic. After EMI, the Monkey Island series seems to have become some guys at a costume party just goofin' around crackin' jokes. LeChuck's not as evil and scary as he once was. Monkey Island 2 had some really goofy parts, but when LeChuck came on the screen, it got pretty serious. Horror, in my opinion, should make it's way in somewhere between pirates and voodoo.

I agree, Full Throttle is a great example. The game is not ridiculously heavy handed like a Final Fantasy in it's drama, but it still sets the stakes high. The game is also hilarious to boot. That's gotta be tough to balance all of that as a game or story writer, and I'm no writer with any sort of credentials to criticize, but I would love to see it more often.

Monkey Island 2 had some really goofy parts, but when LeChuck came on the screen, it got pretty serious.

I disagree, the final section of MI2 with LeChuck on screen was the goofiest. Do I need to remind you just how that voodoo doll got made? and what happened after that? XD

I disagree, the final section of MI2 with LeChuck on screen was the goofiest. Do I need to remind you just how that voodoo doll got made? and what happened after that? XD

I mean that stuff was funny, but I was really afraid of giving LeChuck a wedgie when I first played it. I mean you can't die in LucasArts games, but I was still finding myself afraid. To me that's achievement enough.

It was goofy but, for me at least, it was also terrifying. I remember my heart pounding in my chest and my plams being so sweaty I couldn't control the mouse properly.

For me it was the music that made it scary... it would be all magical and relaxing and I'd be trying to work out the puzzle, and then, suddenly, BAM BA BA BA BAM BA BAM!! the iMuse would slam in to my ears and LeChuck would appear.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

I don't really understand why you compared these two scenes :S There are plenty of worse death scenes in BOTH games. And I believe they were talking about secondary characters deaths...

Stuff like: People's flesh burning off on the rollercoaster of death and Corley's death in Full Throttle.

Anyways, I actually think Guybrush's "death" is a lot less suggestive. You actually see him proper hallucinating and dropping down "dead" on screen. Whereas in Full Throttle it's more of a Road Runner-esque, fall off cliff, death. Where you don't even see him die

Yeah, I have to pitch in here and agree that the showdown with LeChuck in MI2 scared the s**t out of me as a child. Like Gabez, I think it was mostly the music that did it.

Of course, we were children. :)

Me too. It really stirred something deep down. The stuff of nightmares. Where you have to fix something you broke and you don't have enough time and then BAM! LeChuck Gotchya!

I think they did a really clever thing with that sequence, cause it turned a core element of how adventures work upside down: Normally you have plenty of time and everything is fixed to your speed, but this sequence (at least at first) felt like you didn't have control of the game flow.

I think I was 13 in 1992 when I had bought it and it still scarred me a little. It's that combination or amalgam of two distinct genre elements and mixing them up with the right voodoo that was the secret.

As I said earlier, kind of like GHOSTBUSTERS.

Archived