Home

Happy Birthday (would be) to the late Nikola Tesla

Well, I'd like to share with my fellow LF'er friends and everybody else here (extended friends), today July 10th is the would be birthday of Nikola Tesla.

This is a man who is a hero in my eyes. I'd also say the genius father of much of the modern technology we have today. Or at least its basis of it.

It amazes me how little known this historical figure is...well in a relative sense anyways. :rolleyes: I've played around with small scale replications of his works (even know where to buy them for those interested). He made AC and wireless power which is the groundwork for radio signals.

He predicted in his papers (late 1800s, early 1900s) that one day we would have the news brought right into our own homes and printed out at our leisure and that we would communicate with one another using multi tasking interfaces capable of great computation. Also, wireless communicaiton devices that were handheld and could fit in our pockets.

I'd have to say his predictions were spot on. This is amid a great deal many other things he accomplished, predicted, etc. within his life. He worked on devices for electro surgery, robotic devices and remotely controlled mini vehicles, and work in predicting trends seeing the rise of the aluminum industry. How he did it I'll never know.

Supposedly he had plans for some death ray device, but any hard info on that is sketchy at best--least that I could uncover. But regardless, it is in the lore of this man.

More than that he was a kind, genuine soul. Only pursued something until he knew it worked, and did so solely for mankind's benefit. His goal was to further the human race more than anything--a trait which got him admiratoin by everyone, as much as trampled on by men of industry. Ever heard the REAL story behind how Westinghouse "survived" his encounter with bankruptcy, creditors, and the banks? Go read it sometime if you haven't. It's amazing and ultimately heartbreaking. J.P. Morgan is a successful figure as well, but it wasn't because of his work alone.

At any rate, Here is my tribute to one of history's greatest humanitarians as well as technological geniuses.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/google/5793540/Nikola-Tesla-Google-commemorates-birthday-of-pioneering-electrical-engineer.html

From above Article:

Tesla's patents and theoretical work formed the basis of modern alternating current electric power (AC) systems, including the polyphase power distribution systems and the AC motor.

The inventor, who died impoverished in 1943, aged 86, is credited with helping usher in the Second Industrial Revolution with his groundbreaking work.

Born in 1856, Tesla studied electrical engineering at the Austrian Polytechnic in Graz, before moving to Hungary where he worked for the National Telephone Company in Budapest.

He later moved to the United States where he established his own company, Tesla Electric Light & Manufacturing, and embarked on his most significant works.

These included inventing polyphase systems, which would allow transmission of alternating current electricity over long distances, and ultimately became the chief method of powering homes and business across the globe.

Won't you all discuss. Please.

Ah! Nikola Tesla, he was quite the scientist indeed:D His technological advances and theories were qutie amazing, and it's unfortunate that he was not hailed as one of the greater inventers of his day...though I believe he was thought to be crazy in his later years...{hence, the Death Ray Lore}:D I think he sort've shrouded in mystery, we don't know about everything he had discovered, or everything that he experimented with, but his accomplishments were still amazing:D

Happy Late Birthday, Nikola Tesla!

NikolaTesla.jpg

You know you're awesome when David Bowie plays you in a movie.

david-bowie-tesla.jpg

YES! The truth indeed! I couldn't help but chuckle when they used him as Tesla in The Prestige:D He did a very good Tesla:D

Also...I feel a need to quote the distinguished New Zealander Jemaine...

[awesome accent]I'm not Jemaine, I'm David Bowie from the Ziggy Stardust Tour of 1979![end awesome accent]

:D

This is the first I've heard of the Death Ray thing. However, what I have heard is that he had finished making schematics for a power plant that would produce electricity by attracting lightning, but didn't manage to gather funds to build a prototype. Like the Death Ray thing, this is just speculation.

Tesla must be spinning in his grave in the thought that the greatest utilization of his coils is making video game music remixes:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Thats almost as nerdy as that guy from Myth Busters making his own maltese falcon. xD

^^^Yeah. Shame indeed. I do wonder how much of his works never saw the light of day.

Speaking of his masculinity, You should read Margaret Cheney's rant about the medias negative portrayal of Tesla during his life just b/c he never married. Basically telling them to go stick it where the sun don't shine as you should not expect a man of Tesla's caliber to be like everyone else on a social level. Nor judge him on it, for that matter.

Source: Tesla: Man out of time, 1986 first edition. Margaret Cheney.

http://www.amazon.com/Tesla-Man-Time-Margaret-Cheney/dp/0880294191

Note to media: *Don't* have it, it ain't wise to upset old feminists on these matters. (Unless you wish to get castrated!)

@ Jeff: Awesome link. Thanks. Yeah, amazing what you can do with a neon sign transformer.

Made me a Nitrogen Gas Laser for my senior project that utilized one. Had a few mishaps with it as well.

This is the first I've heard of the Death Ray thing. However, what I have heard is that he had finished making schematics for a power plant that would produce electricity by attracting lightning, but didn't manage to gather funds to build a prototype. Like the Death Ray thing, this is just speculation.

I do tend to agree with you there. Probably just things to generate interest for Tesla so that he is not forgotten.

So far as the plant, I've heard the same stories. Closest thing he did but in the opposite fashion was that he built Wardenclyffe. I think he, more like, damn near breached the electrical breakdown of our planet's atmosphere. Which would not have been good.

For your amusement. (And muph's as well! :dev9:)

The Death Ray lore: Well, the rumors are that he supposedly set to work in 1929 for a bid by the Soviets. Took him a few years. Supposedly there is still a working completed prototype somewhere over in Russia since 1935. And that he had the only other set original plans besides the russians. What ever happened to his set when he died? Could be

1) his nephew got them and took them to Yugoslavia to put into their Belgrade museum

2) the US Government confiscated them

3) US duplicated them and sent the nephew on his way

In any case, I don't know what to believe. Not sure I want to know, either.

Some eye candy:

tesladray.jpgfig6.gif

Tesla made Command & Conquer: Red Alert that much more awesome.

Thank you, Mr. Tesla. :science:

Exactly like he envisioned and wrote about in his memoirs. For the exact same purpose, too. Glad to see game developers are enthusiastic about it.

Tesla must be spinning in his grave in the thought that the greatest utilization of his coils is making video game music remixes:

:rofl: YES! That is AWESOME! ...Mmm, well, if my understanding is correct, even Nikola wasn't above a little mischief and fun once in a while. I don't envision him being too awfully upset.

Tesla coils are fun toys. Try holding onto the end of one with one hand and picking up a flourescent tube with the other. Freaky.

I know. How your hairs tend to stand up on end, how you can either attract or repel stuff. That freaky feeling you get as the HF crawls on your skin. Baloons, or craft balls of Styrofoam or similar, St. Elmo's corona/fire. Stuff like that.

I want to link to some stuff (fun products) actually, but I'm afraid this discussion will have to continue in private b/c I don't want any minors getting any funny ideas.

You know you're awesome when David Bowie plays you in a movie.

Also some more mega cool points for these:

An electric sports car faster than a Porsche

Jack & Meg from The White Stripes - with Jack showing Meg his Tesla Coil, from the Jim Jarmusch film Coffee & Cigarettes

Getting mentioned in the (awesomely titled) early White Stripes track Astro

Nvidia makes a supercomputer named after you

nvidiatesla.jpg

Here's an interesting scene from a film featuring Orson Welles, depicting the famous meeting between Thomas Edison, JP Morgan and Tesla - which would decided the fate of the Electric Power Industry in the US. There was some collaboration amidst fierce rivalry between Tesla and Edison(hinted at in The Prestige) Personally, I'm more a fan of Edison for his method and practical application. Nevertheless, Tesla did undeniably have a 'brilliant mind.'

There are some great documentaries about Tesla on youtube for those interested ; though please take some of the information with a grain of salt. Many reports lauding Tesla often fail to describe the inherent dangers of the practical application of even his milder ideas.

One thing we can all love Tesla for was his early involvement in the development of good ole remote control technology

remotebuddy_380x297.jpg

SW Geek edit: I thought it looked familiar.... that Death Ray drawing was the inspiration of Ralph McQuarrie's concept art for TESB, in particular the Ion Cannon.

McQuarrie's painting

mcq-hoth5.jpg

From TESB

IonCannon.jpg

mtfbwya

Archived