Home

J7's random tinkerings thread... (56k beware!)

jonathan7

Hey j7, I didn't realize you added this to a thread. I'll put further comments here instead of PMs.

Aye, I opened it up after a certain stage...

yeah, I noticed that too, and mentioned in a PM:

One major thing that just jumped out at me, is that the loin cloth (BTW better now that it is red like the mask) passes through the gold ring, and then folds out to the sides, but you've still got those side cloths coloured black. Perhaps you want them to be red on one side, and black on the other? If so, you might want to put hints of the other colour on each part, so that it looks like part of the back side can be seen along the edge. For example, have the bottom edge of the black fold over and show a bit of red. Hmm :raise:, I might not be making this any clearer.

Or, maybe you'll want to make the side cloth red to match the loin cloth? Either way, pay special attention to the middle part of the mirrored loin cloth, as there should be some space there, since the loin cloth is technically two pieces of cloth hanging side by side.

I was both aware of it, and understand what you mean, I'm doing several different versions people will be able to choose from depending on personal preferance, so see below to one solution to that particular problem...

Also, the red line on the middle of the mask seems weird, you should make it as the other red parts.

See below to possible solution, although partly it's bioware's fault they've done a few funny things with the mask...

Totally agree. Also that gold on the belt looks really awesome. Maybe you could add in a few more subtle gold highlights on the other hooks/buckles/whatever they are. This version so far is really great though.

Done...

picture.php?albumid=435&pictureid=6920

picture.php?albumid=435&pictureid=6921

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See below to possible solution, although partly it's bioware's fault they've done a few funny things with the mask...

Ah, I see, Bioware strikes again! :D

I like the new version, with the side clothes red, it looks nice.

Also, I don't know if it's because of the screens, or if it's like this in game too, but in the small screens, we can only see the red parts of the mask, and the rest is too dark. If in game it's clearly visible, then I guess, i don't see anything that *needs* to be improved, if it looks the same in game, you should make it lighter.

Ah, I see, Bioware strikes again! :D

I like the new version, with the side clothes red, it looks nice.

Also, I don't know if it's because of the screens, or if it's like this in game too, but in the small screens, we can only see the red parts of the mask, and the rest is too dark. If in game it's clearly visible, then I guess, i don't see anything that *needs* to be improved, if it looks the same in game, you should make it lighter.

It's more the alpha channels to be honest, they're not needed on the mask, and the mask itself looks much better without them...

Will this work Sithspecter's Flowing Revan's Robes mod?

All of the above are used with Sithspecters mod, so the skin is on his Flowing Revans model, the only thing to note is that for a skin to work with Sithspectre's mod it has to be called "pmbj01" (not N_Revanrobe01). This is because he embedded the texture within his model...

I think it would be nice if the red armour on the chest would have more etched details.

It's sort of empty, I think it would a nice little extra. And to really make it look unique.

Not sure what needs to be done, just swirling lines? I guess something simplistic. Cause its only a small area of the texture itself.

I think it would be nice if the red armour on the chest would have more etched details.

It's sort of empty, I think it would a nice little extra. And to really make it look unique.

Not sure what needs to be done, just swirling lines? I guess something simplistic. Cause its only a small area of the texture itself.

I had kind of attempted to already put an "etched" look in, but clearly wasn't too successful :xp: It also depends on the particular type of etching you mean, swirly etching is typically the type of etching used on a Samurai blade which will give the wave like effect along the blade. Although Samurai also often had messages etched onto their weapons too, so you also see japanese etched in black onto the blade. European etching tends to be alot more decorative with patterns or pictures on the armour.

Had a little unsuccessful play for the past 30 mins, perhaps if you could find some good samples we can have a further look at some form of etching on the chest plate :)

Edit: Had a play and here are attempts 1 and 2 at etching...

picture.php?albumid=435&pictureid=6922

Edit:

Japanese Dragon etching...

picture.php?albumid=435&pictureid=6923

Mmmm, the difficult thing here is it should sort of "pop-out", but not look photoshopped to much :lol:

I guess I was more thinking on European style, decorative to the max!

Still, it's not something you have to do; all by all, the texture isn't 4096x4096pix.

Are you thinking of this kind of detail? (the horses & griffins on Maximus' chest plate)

maxbleeds2.jpeg

or something like these?

http://www.livesteelarmor.com/tech/bur.html

Or something more stylized like the swirls on Lucien Draay's armour/robes?

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Lucien_throttles_Xamar.jpgZayneclumsy.jpg

In all these cases, the details are raised or embossed so that they throw a bit of shadow. Plus they are higher contrast simply because they are a different colour than the armour plate.

j7, I don't think that kind of detail would be necessary, but it sure would look cool. I guess it all depends on what you're trying to portray... is Revan's armour more functional or fancy detailed?

Mmmm, the difficult thing here is it should sort of "pop-out", but not look photoshopped to much :lol:

I guess I was more thinking on European style, decorative to the max!

Still, it's not something you have to do; all by all, the texture isn't 4096x4096pix.

I think unfortunately due to the workings, something highly elaborate isn't possible :(

j7, I don't think that kind of detail would be necessary, but it sure would look cool. I guess it all depends on what you're trying to portray... is Revan's armour more functional or fancy detailed?

Well, for me I've always though of Revans armour as a psychological weapon over anything else, it, at least seems to me isn't the most practical of armours. However I was aiming to give different people the kind of armour they would like their Revan to wear so have tryed at least to give a bit of variation...

As follows... (56K Beware!)

Show spoiler
The first is the default version....

picture.php?albumid=435&pictureid=6928

The second was the no shine version...

picture.php?albumid=435&pictureid=6929

Next is the "original" colour scheme, that is to say, I've tryed to make the colours much more as Bioware had made them...

picture.php?albumid=435&pictureid=6930

There's a brighter version....

picture.php?albumid=435&pictureid=6931

There's "the Quanon", which is darker and has an etched in Japanese dragon on the front chest plate...

picture.php?albumid=435&pictureid=6932

There "The RedRob", which has chain mail instead of cloth, and extra bolts on the mask...

picture.php?albumid=435&pictureid=6933

And then there is the armour which started the whole thing....

picture.php?albumid=435&pictureid=6934

Great stuff J7!

Now this is modding, multiple choices :p

I certainly lovey the one with the extra "bling".

My etched Q version... is a bit impossible :lol:

Though it's still cool ^_^

@RedRob: I was more aiming at the 17th- and 18th century fancy armours. I had fat big book about such armours; think from the Spanish kingdom, mainly the armours worn by the royalty. Very decorative, but not something to wear when you go to war.

And Revan was a bit of a fighter. So perhaps the normal armour works best.

Darth Vader wasn't fancy dressed either :lol:

So Quanon, redrob41 and myself have been tinkering with Juhani... redrob has done some wonderful work on making Juhani's face more cat like, Quanon is producing her some smexy clothes, but I shall allow them both to post pictures emphasising their work, what I'd love is some input on the skins... I've been working on, at this point I'm not sure if I'm going to do the Tiger variation as well as the Cheetah and Lion ones that are nearly finished (minus tinkerings).

Lioness Juhani....

Show spoiler
picture.php?albumid=435&pictureid=7036

Cheetah Juhani...

Show spoiler
picture.php?albumid=435&pictureid=7037

Thoughts, criticisms, suggestions on the above are welcome!

Héhéhé, well then I shall post something J7, darling :p

Mind this is still WIP, but I'm nearing the finished product for this skin.

I'm putting Juhani in corset sort of thing, with more leather x-D

Overall, it's not a huge alteration of her standard skin. Anyway, not much to say just have a peek. Mind the brown on her arms and legs is just filler. It'll be replaced ;)

Show spoiler
quickprev01.jpg

It's certainly smashing to work with folks like J7 and Redrob41.

for those who want to know what changes I've made to the model, here are some pics:

static screenshot ------ animated gif

juhanibeforeafter.th.jpg juhanibeforeafter.th.gif

I've still got to tweak a few things. In J7's screenies, you can see that in-game, the right eyeball clips with the socket. Plus, I'm going to try moving the pony tail so that it isn't a top knot anymore.

The skin I've done will be for those who want Juhani to remain closer to her canon appearance, but with a slightly more catkind look. J7 is certainly going all out with the lion and cheetah skins, and I'm sure they're going to be phenomenal when complete :D

@J7: comments so far are that the noses and mouths look spot on :thumbsup: and the lioness looks close to finished IMO. The hollows in the cheek bones look great. She does look like she has a bit of a goatee though :xp:. The cheetah's spots on the cheek look a little bit too stretched. We'll both have to work on the hair line, so that it looks less pasted on.

@Q: very vibrant :). There seems to be a bit of a mismatch at the shoulder (left most screenie) where the red on the back doesn't match the black on the front. What are you gonna replace the brown with? The brown ties in with the chest & shoulder plates, IMO.

@Q: very vibrant :). There seems to be a bit of a mismatch at the shoulder (left most screenie) where the red on the back doesn't match the black on the front. What are you gonna replace the brown with? The brown ties in with the chest & shoulder plates, IMO.

Yeah, there are still a few faults in the skin. Juhani's body is rather UVWmapped... whacky/weirdly IMO. So I need to figure out what to do to correct it.

The brown should turn into Juhanis skin. Since Predators is out I want a net over her body, to make her a killer hunter x-D

for those who want to know what changes I've made to the model, here are some pics:

static screenshot ------ animated gif

juhanibeforeafter.th.jpg juhanibeforeafter.th.gif

I've still got to tweak a few things. In J7's screenies, you can see that in-game, the right eyeball clips with the socket. Plus, I'm going to try moving the pony tail so that it isn't a top knot anymore.

That head model has earned an instant download from one VarsityPuppet.

Archived