Home

jobs to apple dev: "**** you. Sent from my iPhone"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/20/jobs_email/

Dear Mr. Jobs,

My name is John Devor and I’m the co-owner of a small Mac shareware company named The Little App Factory and a long-term Apple customer and shareholder. I doubt you’re aware but we recently received a letter from a law firm working on Apple’s behalf instructing us that we had violated several of Apple’s trademarks in our application iPodRip and asking us to cease using the name and Apple trademarks in our icons.

(...)

In fact, we are quite aware that Apple support and store staff have recommended our software on numerous occasions as far back as 2004 so we have felt that we were doing something right!

(...)

With this in mind, we are in desperate need of some assistance and we beseech you to help us to protect our product and our shareware company, both of which we have put thousands upon thousands of hours of work into. Our company goal is to create Mac software of the highest quality with the best user experience possible. I myself dropped out of school recently to pursue a path in the Mac software industry, and you yourself have been a consistent inspiration for me.

If there is anything at all you can do with regards to this matter, we would be most grateful.

Best,

John Devor

Change your apps name. Not that big of a deal.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

the "sent from my iphone" bit makes it

Yeah, I've invented this awesome nacho cheesy chip and called it Doritos. Now all the sudden I'm getting flak from frito lay company telling me I'm infringing on their trademarks. What's this about. After all, I did put work into this tasty snack AND dropped out of school to pursue a career in snackable goodness, and now out of the blue, I find out that huge corporations don't care about my personal plight or self sacrifice and they're telling me to cease and desist. Well, I'm going to send a carefully worded letter to some rich, faceless corporate exec, then I'll sit back and watch the wheels turn in my favor.

:rolleyes: naive much. Change the name already. Apple owns it. You can't have it.

I dunno, I can see where the dude is coming from. He's been using that name for years, and probably already has a brand reputation among his customers. Surely there is other independent software that "infringe" in the same way as this product that haven't been asked to change their name. Plus Apple has been recommending the software to customers. Also Steve Jobs is a dick.

I dunno, I can see where the dude is coming from. He's been using that name for years, and probably already has a brand reputation among his customers. Surely there is other independent software that "infringe" in the same way as this product that haven't been asked to change their name. Plus Apple has been recommending the software to customers. Also Steve Jobs is a dick.

the part where apple support says to use their app is what gets me, since its a continuation of apple's policy of packaging the work of others (their entire dev toolchain, for instance) in a shiny, translucent package and profiting off of it. plus the part where apple has suddenly decided that the icons included with os x for developers to use in their apps can't be used in apps anymore because they are apple trademarks. it's the equivalent of microsoft saying developers can't load the folder icons included with windows to use in their apps. this business with the icons has happened with other companies as well

Archived