Home

EC calls for limit on maximum volume on MP3 players.

Astor

Story.

The European Commission is calling for a suggested maximum volume to be set on MP3 players, to protect users' hearing.

The commission wants all MP3 players sold in the EU, including iPods, to share the same volume limits.

This follows a report last year warning that up to 10m people in the EU face permanent hearing loss from listening to loud music for prolonged periods.

Aside from the general annoyance of having to listen to someone else's heavy metal or rap on the bus, this seems a little intrusive.

I doubt many people listen to music at that volume anyway, and i'm all for protecting people's hearing, but this just seems well, stupid.

Think of the children! :devscare:

Sounds like an alright enough move to me, it's not like the cops are going to barge into the bus, seize your player and tune down its volume and watch you listen to your music without increasing the volume. That's intrusive. This is about as intrusive as making cigarettes illegal.

***snip~by mimartin*** What's wrong with a little regulation, it's not like you NEED that much volume. ***snip***

I do not dislike government. I dislike regulation like this because it should be up to the individual to decide what is too loud. If they damage their ears, it's their own damn fault.

I wouldn't tell a smoker to stop smoking for exactly the same reasons - it's not my place to dictate to them.

And I think that the EC should perhaps be spending more time on more important issues.

I do not dislike government.

Just this government! :xp:

I dislike regulation like this because it should be up to the individual to decide what is too loud. If they damage their ears, it's their own damn fault.

It's just more 'Nanny-state' regulation. You know, the complete draining of any kind of risk out of society type regulation?

Actually I'm surprised no-one has sued in the past for hearing loss due to the lack of volume restriction to compensate for their innate stupidity, causing these companies to put the things in place. That'd be a good laugh to read.

And I think that the EC should perhaps be spending more time on more important issues.

QFT

It's just more 'Nanny-state' regulation. You know, the complete draining of any kind of risk out of society type regulation?

Actually I'm surprised no-one has sued in the past for hearing loss due to the lack of volume restriction to compensate for their innate stupidity, causing these companies to put the things in place. That'd be a good laugh to read.

QFT

Too true. On both counts. I wonder how many people still hurt themselves even with all the warning tags on items these days. :rolleyes:

@ Astor and mimartin: Oh come on, gov't. knows best and that's the bottom line because the gov't. said so. We *need* some entity to step in, tell us what to do, and be all intrusive and all that.

I can't believe the massive fail I'm seeing here.

[:D]

I mean if we can't get people to stop using swimming pools as garbage and sewer pits in homeowners' associations with passive regulations then we certainly cannot trust them to listen to their iPod at a safe volume!!!!!111!!!1!!!1!!!11

[/liberal equiv to limbaugh]

Y'know...It probably wouldn't surprise you that it probably has been tried in America... or so I'd wager?

That's one of the dumbest laws I've heard. No wait... I've heard dumber. I agree with what's been said already. It's intrusive and a violation of the peoples rights to deafen themselves. :carms:

It becomes my problem when I have to pay the Medicare taxes for hearing tests and hearing aids.

More proof that the EU is a waste of time. I mean really, THIS is what they're doing with their governing power? Making stupid rules to "stick it" to teenagers? Woooo good going there Europe, you really showed them kids.

Personally, I've found most people with their music up too loud can be asked politely to turn it down, most oblige. Only a few become jerks about it. As far as your own hearing goes, well, that sucks for you.

It becomes my problem when I have to pay the Medicare taxes for hearing tests and hearing aids.

I'm generally not into the whole "all government is evil" viewpoint, but the fact is government is partially responsible for this system where everyone has to chip in for the health of others (the other major influence of course are overcharging pharma corporations). Now they want to pass a law that infringes on personal rights in order to cover a problem that is the result of the broken system they made?

[OFF TOPIC]This ironically has significant ties to the current health care debate. Yes, reform is necessary to stop the massive budget problems our current system will result in and stop social injustice, but the fact remains that the basic idea of health care is critically flawed. We are paying for drugs and treatments that for people other than ourselves AND these drugs and treatments may cause current health issues and save lives, but ultimately result in an increase in health issues as the result of each new generation's lower natural immunity. We need the government to solve the current crisis through regulation and spending, but ultimately we need to solve the crisis that is building over time.[/OFF TOPIC]

Agreed with Astor, I don't care how high your MP3 player goes, you'll have to live with the hearing loss.

Edit: Hit the wrong button :( Anyway, this looks like a black market of old mp3 players will be formed now. :xp:

Naw, they should require volume controls on most iPods, but also allow volume control-free devices with a $500 hearing aid tax. Slap some huge bad boy tax on all souped up car stereo speakers, too. That way, there might be a few less cars that can vibrate my minivan with their red-lining bass.

Archived