Home

Valve starting a viral ARG using Portal

BongoBob

It looks more like they are announcing both Portal 2 and HL2:E3.

My Guess is Orange Box 2, with HL2:E, Portal 2 and a new multiplayer game.

Wow. That would make me one happy man. I still can't believe they've been working on Episode 3 for this long. I had sort of assumed that they nixed the project and moved directly to HL3.

Wow. That would make me one happy man. I still can't believe they've been working on Episode 3 for this long. I had sort of assumed that they nixed the project and moved directly to HL3.

We may well both be very disappointed.

In other news those crazy people have decoded that there is likely to be a formal announcement on the 11th of this month.

It looks more like they are announcing both Portal 2 and HL2:E3.

My Guess is Orange Box 2, with HL2:E, Portal 2 and a new multiplayer game.

I can't see them announcing 3 games at once, more likely that they would include Left 4 Dead 2 in it or something. I really hope that it is HL2 episode three, but honestly I think it's more likely just to be Portal 2.

Let's hope that Valve releases something, anything about Episode 3 at the GDC :(

I would assume there's still going to be SOME sort of surprise for the GDC... It's silly for everything to be publicly released beforehand.

Seems like Portal 2 will be a full retail release, with a new single-player campaign, a new co-op campaign, new characters, more Aperture Labs, more test chambers, more GLaDOS, and more awesome.

It's hard for me to say I'm "disappointed" in this announcement. I've stopped expecting news on Episode 3 a long time ago. Even if they do announce something at GDC, they've pretty much blown their chances on the whole episodic content thing at this point.

Even if they make Episode 3 a full retail game, it still won't be Half-Life 3, and that's a let-down. But at the end of the day whatever they release will still be awesome and I will still pay money for it. Valve might not have lived up to expectations, but I'm not about to boycott anything.

I'm sure Valve would love to have come out with Episode 3 a long time ago and already be coming out with Half-Life 3, but for one reason or another they haven't. The reality is, you can't force this stuff. Bitching about it won't make them work any faster and in fact may make them come out with less of a product to meet the demand.

Such a delay on Episode 3 is a loss for Valve, and they might have screwed up somewhere. It happens. But they aren't magic and all I can really expect from them is that they've learned from whatever happened with Episode 3 and will come out with more awesome quicker from now on. They still need to figure out how to balance content and development time. The sweet spot is somewhere between Episode 3 and L4D2, and I think they'll get there eventually.

I've got nothing nice to say about Portal or HL, so I'll just stick to the viral crap: That was bloody annoying...

Also, the people on those forum boards found in the links on that first page seriously need to get outside.

Seems like Portal 2 will be a full retail release, with a new single-player campaign, a new co-op campaign, new characters, more Aperture Labs, more test chambers, more GLaDOS, and more awesome.

It's hard for me to say I'm "disappointed" in this announcement. I've stopped expecting news on Episode 3 a long time ago. Even if they do announce something at GDC, they've pretty much blown their chances on the whole episodic content thing at this point.

Even if they make Episode 3 a full retail game, it still won't be Half-Life 3, and that's a let-down. But at the end of the day whatever they release will still be awesome and I will still pay money for it. Valve might not have lived up to expectations, but I'm not about to boycott anything.

I'm on the same boat here. Having only just gotten into this within the last year or so (less in fact), it's all coming as a whirlwind rush to me. I'm plenty happy with the announcement of Portal 2.

Whatever the expectations, I suppose it isn't unreasonable to expect mistakes along the way. Long as the products are the best they possibly can be in the end.

Meh, it's slow times right now and IMO the content of games lately is becoming less original. It's worth the wait so long as they don't give up on it after making you wait, like, 10 years. Until then, I agree, don't hold your breath.

I'm sure Valve would love to have come out with Episode 3 a long time ago and already be coming out with Half-Life 3, but for one reason or another they haven't. The reality is, you can't force this stuff. Bitching about it won't make them work any faster and in fact may make them come out with less of a product to meet the demand.

Such a delay on Episode 3 is a loss for Valve, and they might have screwed up somewhere. It happens. But they aren't magic and all I can really expect from them is that they've learned from whatever happened with Episode 3 and will come out with more awesome quicker from now on. They still need to figure out how to balance content and development time. The sweet spot is somewhere between Episode 3 and L4D2, and I think they'll get there eventually.

I have a feeling that there must be something big happening if they're taking so long on Episode 3. Like, a conversion in graphical fidelity, maybe? Updating the engine even more and redoing assets... who knows...

Also, thanks for mentioning Half-Life 3, that game is gonna be ****ing awesome when I comes out in Holiday 2013 2014 Spring Fall 2015. Sort of just a moment of mind **** for me there. Like, "Oh yeah... that's going to happen some day."

Well, Gabe Newell made his acceptance speech at the GDC awards. Near the end of the speech he started to talk about the Portal ARG, then the projector behind him with the computer screen with his slides on it cut to a Windows BSoD. Gabe said "I guess that's what I get for working at Microsoft" then quickly finished his speech and left with a "good luck figuring it out." The live stream of the speech didn't show the projector behind him so it took awhile to figure out what the BSoD said. Eventually pictures were posted and people pieced together what happened.

It started out as a regular Windows BSoD: http://i42.tinypic.com/id7q11.jpg

Then changed to a GLaDOS BSoD: http://i43.tinypic.com/2nj045.jpg

The code in the second one is hex. Someone converted it to decimal, then to another format, which ended up reading:

S U S : P E N D ... U N T ( I ) L ... E E E

aka suspend until E3

So yeah... now we gotta wait till June.

Archived