Home

XWA One Year Thread, Part VI, Return of the Bottle Deposit

Kuuki

@Ed best wishes

I know where your at, losing my mom earlier this year. And the Slow process of dying that my wife's mom is going through.

At the moment my mother-in-law cannot even talk anymore.

I cannot explain the feeling of loss when your mother cannot tell you that she loves you anymore.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, all! :)

She'll be in the hospital for a few more days. They are thinking it was a mild heart attack after all.

But she got treatment early, and it was about a mild as one as you can have, so they expect her to fully recover... but it's a hell of a scare and a wake-up call to get. She is in good spirits though... and she gave my GF a big hug when we walked in her room this afternoon... so I think all, if not forgiven and forgotten, is pushed far into the background now, under these circumstances.

Sorry to hear it, K_K. :(

Mom came home today. They moved her to Tufts yesterday morning, performed an angioplasty on the bad artery, removed the blockage, and put in a stint... all from snaking a line up through her leg. Pretty amazing!

She feels good, if a bit weak.

I'm COMPLETELY exhausted. So is my girlfriend. 4 days of worry and waiting will do that to ya, I guess.

Still playing some Rage. Not a bad game. Very excellent visuals and performance. Very compelling world. Fun gun play and surprisingly good arcade driving. Some things feel like they could be tightened up, though. All the weapons except for the shotgun seem pretty useless. I guess the sniper rifle is useful sometimes. But the machine guns are all crap. Also, and this REALLY ticks me off, it's a (sort of) open word game, with collectibles, but...areas get closed off without warning and you can miss a lot of the collectibles. Game designers, come on guys, seriously... You know what's great about Zelda games? It's a (sort of) open world to explore, but you can relax and enjoy it, because if you miss something, you can always go back later and get it. If you're going to have a world to explore and things to collect, this is the FIRST requirement.

I am playing Fallout 3 right now. ONce i figured out how to get it to work on my computer. I had to edit the *.ini file.

Fun game. Great game engine. Favorite momment so far is when a Raider came after me, I readied my hunting rifle, and then somehow I sighted in on the frag grenade, decided to beat feet instead and lined up for a headhsot. Scored a critical, and Had a "Bullet cam" shot that ended up with the raiders head rolling on the ground without it's body

best line so far "I am sorry I played with your DNA like how a kitten plays with a ball of string"

Dealing with a horrible, horrible show tonight. Had the run through last night, and it was a disaster wrapped in a trainwreck. I coined the phrase: "Clusterf***tastrophies" to describe exactly this type of event... but even that fails to do it justice.

*Sigh*

I also learned yesterday that I'm almost out of banked paid-time-off... so I have to choose all my upcoming days off carefully until I build up my account again. That means no more days off in the middle of the week... even if I'm working 16 hours a day all weekend. I still have to clock at least 7 hours a day Monday thru Friday anyways. Bummer.

Mom's doing well... but I just learned that dad is being sued for pretty much EVERYTHING by the guy who crashed into him last summer. The guy is saying (through his lawyer, of course...) that because of the accident he can't work, or walk, or talk... even though there was hardly any damage to his car at the time of the crash, and he hopped right out of his car and came over and started yelling at my dad, who was pinned in his car and couldn't move and had several cracked ribs.

It's always something...

Yeah... but quite a bit (though not all...) of the weekend work is optional: outside bands renting the venue, with me working for extra money, and not for the college... so those hours don't count towards salary fulfillment.

Still: it takes it's toll.

I can always give up those shifts to somebody else who wants to bust their ass for extra dough... but the extra money shifts make up about half of my income for the year. Since I've been there longest (except my boss...) I pretty much get first crack at most of the big money shifts.

I had to give up 3 such shifts last weekend to be around for my mom. It cost me almost $1,500 (above and beyond my weekly salary) to do so.

But if I keep taking days off now, my salary will start getting docked... undoing the benefits of the extra money.

I'm sure I could get by on straight salary... but things would be tighter... and spending money wouldn't exist.

Plus a work diet of only student and faculty concerts would wear on my soul in a very short time. Even though it's a PITA sometimes, working with touring bands and real professionals in the business is a respite and helps keep me sane.

Sort of...

Maybe. I'm not sure I'd want it, though. A lot of meetings, phone calls, reports... busy work... and dealing with collegiate bureaucracy.

I have the job he had before he moved up the food chain. That's the job I wanted.

I wouldn't mind less whacky hours and more money... but I'm really not a 9-5, suit-and-tie kinda guy, though.

I might change my mind in a couple of years, however. We'll see how it goes...

Went to milwaukee this weekend to pick up my Mother-in-laws ashes. My wife is emotionally spent. She is now with my cat, and both are curled up on the sofa taking a nap.

Going to get ready this weekend for Thanksgiving dinner Wednesday. Giving both our dads show up along with my Brothers family. Of course, my brother doesn't know if he is coming since my niece is in Collage taking classes. Me thinks he could come with no problem and my niece could drive herself after class... or at least skip class for one day

11 Gospel band concert yesterday. Got home from work last night at almost 1am.

TV shoot today. Started work this morning at 6:30am.

Do the math.

But the answer = tired. And cranky.

And the day has been a bitch so far. Not a great thing to deal with when already tired & cranky.

I'm starting to wonder if the extra money is really worth it.

Archived