Home

Activision Kills Guitar Hero: Commences Layoffs

JediAthos

Activision confirmed that its Guitar Hero division is closing, DJ Hero is being killed, and that True Crime Hong Kong is being canceled in its fourth-quarter conference call this afternoon. Our condolences to everyone who lost their jobs.

source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/02/09/rumor-guitar-hero-dead-massive-activision-layoffs.aspx

That's a big franchise that Activision has killed in Guitar Hero. I know some thought it was played out, but it was Rock Band's only real competition. Do you think the loss of those franchises above will hurt Activision in the long run?

I actually approve this (not the layoffs, of course). Gameplay wise, GH2 was the only one to add something new. Don't get me wrong, GH is amazingly fun. But turning it into another endless franchise, recycled every year with a new package and same content. They did the right thing.

My thoughts exactly. I can't fathom the logic behind buying the same game every year, and I'm glad that at least one such title is being axed (for now).

Archived