Home

XWA One Year Thread Part VII: Shadows of the Forum

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My sinuses are bothering me today. :(

I can breath ok... but it feels like my eyes are being pushed out of the sockets. And I can barely hear out of my left ear. It feels clogged.

No fun. My last totally free weekend for a while. Maybe a long while.

I don't wanna feel lousy.

I always use a spoon or butter knife to pop those pull tops. Those things are deadly.

My head feels a bit better today. My hearing isn't 100% back to normal yet... but at least it's getting there.

At least there's no shows I'm mixing this week. That would have been weird.

Nice. :)

I should probably get some new gear one of these days. It might inspire me to play and practice more.

Maybe.

Or perhaps I should just change the strings, batteries in the pedals, dust off the amps and rack effects, hook it all up again, and just see what I can actually do with what already have.

Not as fun... but more affordable.

New gear would be kind of hard to justify. Especially when my car currently needs a little tending to... tires, brakes, shocks, wipers, antenna...

Yeah, I had to talk myself out of some rack effects. Eventide H8000FW certainly looked temping, but ridiculously expensive, and not even that convenient to use for live playing. I couldn't even figure out how that would work with a guitar and amp setup. You can plug a guitar directly into it, but the outputs all seem to be line-level, so I don't think I could plug it into an amp from there. It could go in the effects loop, but if I wanted the processing to hit before the preamp, that wouldn't help (and the line levels don't seem to match all amps anyway, since the unit works on +4db, but a lot of amps use -10db).

I don't even see how such an effect would be that useful in the studio, since you can only have two different effects going at once at the most. So you can't just have 16 tracks with different reverbs and delays all going - you'd have to record versions of all the tracks with the effects, then see how the mix is working after each track, and if you want to go back and change one, you'd have to start all over with it. Unless you have a bunch of these machines, I guess - then you could adjust everything in real time.

Plug-ins seem far more flexible and convenient this way, and I actually got curious as to how this was actually done in studios in the days when only rack hardware effects existed, but I couldn't seem to find anything written about it.

Easy: Most studios owned a LOT of FX processors.

Most big mixing boards had 12 or more aux sends, and enough stereo returns and spare channels to accommodate the effects.

But if you still couldn't do it all, you tracked with effects like you described... or you could do a "bounce"... do a partial mix, and record the tracks with the special effects onto a spare tape track, and use that track as a base when you do the rest of the mix.

Bohemian Rhapsody was done with a LOT of bouncing... Mostly because there weren't enough tracks to record all the parts. (I think it was done on a 16 track machine if I'm remembering correctly...)

So they'd fill 14 tracks... bounce those off to 2... record 12 more, then bounce them (with the existing bounced tracks mixed it...) off to another 2. Any effects you wanted on the tracks had to be added at this point as well. You had to commit.

Sargent Pepper's was done that way too... that album was recorded on a pair of 4-track machines.

But it's actually very rare to use more than 2 or 3 different reverbs on a studio mix. You just send everything to one main one using an aux send, and use the other ones for special effects. Otherwise, the spacial imaging seems very, very strange.

I typically have a band reverb, a snare drum reverb, a vocal reverb, a "special" reverb (for strings or keys or choirs...) and maybe a delay or 2 (long and short) and perhaps a chorus or flange set up. And it's rare that I ever use any given 3 of those on any one mix.

or you could do a "bounce"... do a partial mix, and record the tracks with the special effects onto a spare tape track, and use that track as a base when you do the rest of the mix.

Yeah, I did a lot of bouncing - my first piece of recording equipment was 4-track Yamaha digital recorder/mixer back in the 90s (and it came with a free reverb unit!). But I found it very frustrating. I'd record like guitar and drums (stereo from a keyboard) or something, mix that, then bounce those three tracks to one other track. Then I'd add piano (again stereo from a keyboard), but once that was there I wasn't satisfied with the mix between the drums and guitar anymore, but it was too late to change it. I suppose practice and experience would have helped, but I didn't really care about messing around with that stuff - I just wanted to record the music and not have to worry so much about the details of making it sound right during production.

Bohemian Rhapsody was done with a LOT of bouncing... Mostly because there weren't enough tracks to record all the parts. (I think it was done on a 16 track machine if I'm remembering correctly...)

Yeah, I saw that documentary!

But it's actually very rare to use more than 2 or 3 different reverbs on a studio mix. You just send everything to one main one using an aux send, and use the other ones for special effects. Otherwise, the spacial imaging seems very, very strange.

I typically have a band reverb, a snare drum reverb, a vocal reverb, a "special" reverb (for strings or keys or choirs...) and maybe a delay or 2 (long and short) and perhaps a chorus or flange set up. And it's rare that I ever use any given 3 of those on any one mix.

But even if you are using one reverb for multiple tracks, wouldn't you still want to apply it to each track individually, so that you had control over the volume of the each track individually after the effects are on them (after they return to the mixing board)? Or is it sufficient to control the relative levels before they go to the reverb?

Plus you have EQ and compression...

Yeah, I did a lot of bouncing - my first piece of recording equipment was 4-track Yamaha digital recorder/mixer back in the 90s (and it came with a free reverb unit!). But I found it very frustrating. I'd record like guitar and drums (stereo from a keyboard) or something, mix that, then bounce those three tracks to one other track. Then I'd add piano (again stereo from a keyboard), but once that was there I wasn't satisfied with the mix between the drums and guitar anymore, but it was too late to change it. I suppose practice and experience would have helped, but I didn't really care about messing around with that stuff - I just wanted to record the music and not have to worry so much about the details of making it sound right during production.

Yeah, I saw that documentary!

But even if you are using one reverb for multiple tracks, wouldn't you still want to apply it to each track individually, so that you had control over the volume of the each track individually after the effects are on them (after they return to the mixing board)? Or is it sufficient to control the relative levels before they go to the reverb?

Plus you have EQ and compression...

You use the aux send to balance out the individual track levels to reverb. Stuff that's in the "back" of the mix, you mix softer, but with a lot of verb. The things "up front" in the mix you mix louder, but with less send to the verb.

EQ and compressors are inserted on a channel by channel basis, mostly... though I'm actually a VERY big fan of grouping like channels (background vocals, strings, multiple piano mics, drum set tracks...) to a stereo buss, and EQ'ing and compressing them as a stereo track.

I personally think it makes the whole thing gel a bit better to treat a 12 vocal mic choir, or a string or horn section with 10+ mics on it, or a drum kit with 8 or 10 mics, or a piano with 3 or 4 mics as a single thing you are hearing in stereo, rather than something you are trying to EQ and compress to sound uniform over 4 to 12 individual channels.

It's also often a bit quicker to get results... though actually setting that up is an extra couple of steps.

At least with effects plug-ins you can just do whatever you want without worrying about the physical limitations. I've seen comparisons between hardware and software versions of the same effects, but I don't see why they should be any different (for digital effects) - it's just math running on a processor :confused:

I imagine your need for EQ would be greatly reduced if you had a good room and you had the mic placement just right, too. I always record in a spare bedroom with carpeting, which I'm sure is not quite the ideal environment :dozey:

The ideal situation is:

Great player on a great instrument in a great acoustic environment with a great mic placed exactly right through great cable into a great preamp onto a very high definition recording medium.

In that case, there may be no need for any EQ on mixdown/ playback.

I'm from the old school... pre-ProTools "in the box" method of recording/ mixing. I've had to splice 2" 24-track reels of tape together... and the only way to get professional results was to have a place that was at least as big as a garage, with a mixer longer than your couch, and a tape deck as big as a refrigerator, and more expensive than most folks first house and first car combined.

Then I got into live sound... which doesn't use plug-ins much either. (Though that's changing with many of the newer digital consoles coming out...)

As a result, I've never worked much with plug-ins. Most older processors are now available as plug-ins with the original algorithms intact... so all you are really losing is the Analog/Digital conversion stage and the buttons and knobs interface that most rack units offer. Neither of these should be an issue.

I think R15 is going to try poisoning himself to death with booze.

Speaking of booze....

Curling season is starting up again next month. We had our first "Skips" meeting for the LaCrosse club. A lot of 2nd year curlers are going to be skipping... which is going to make it rather interesting. Since the club is short of experienced skips i will be playing two games on wednesday.

might get a chance to get Instructor certification beginning of the month.

Going back to madison for a Curling tournament just before Halloween

I will dispose their faces if they don't start putting power switches on things that should have them - especially things that are expensive already so it shouldn't be a matter of cost.

I used to have a metronome that had no way to turn it off. Seriously. It would run until 15 minutes had passed without you changing anything. And God help you if you actually wanted to practice with it for more than 15 minutes at a time, because like it or not, it was turning off after 15 minutes. I hope whoever designed that died of shingles while burning in a fire and passing a kidney stone.

Archived