Home

Game Features you are tired of hearing about

Taak Farst

"This game comes with the autosave feature. Each time you see *icon* the game is saving." - Every time I see a message like that one in a game I want to choke a developer. Why? Because seeing that message means the game has no manual save game functionality, which is one of the basic functionalities of video games.

"This game comes with the autosave feature. Each time you see *icon* the game is saving." - Every time I see a message like that one in a game I want to choke a developer. Why? Because seeing that message means the game has no manual save game functionality, which is one of the basic functionalities of video games.

Not necessarily true, but it's annoying nonetheless. And on that topic, there's the "Don't shut off or unplug or console/computer" message that comes up in some games when saving. Did some idiot seriously think "It's saving! Now's a great time to unplug my console!"? Because that's the only explanation I can come up with.

Advertising wise? Any game that claims it "integrates" or "Utilizes" something that is a standard feature of the system.

"The new Zelda title intigrates the Wii-motion controller!"

No...really? I had NO idea!

"The new X-Box Dance game utilizes the Kinect!"

*facepalm*

"TOR utilizes your monitor and integrates controls with your mouse!"

Ok, the last was made up, but just illustrates my point. :p

Actually the new Zelda title uses the Wii Motion Plus controller which had to be stated so blunty so that people knew that their standard Wii controller didn't work with SS unless you had the Motion Plus attachment for your controller or a Wii Remote Plus which has it built in.

....*looks around* just saiyan.

*grins* I was talking about the wii version of TP, actually. And it didn't even utilize the controller....just swinging the wii-mote simulated the button push on the Gamecube controller. I know this for a fact.........don't ask how/why.

<.<

>.>

<.<

^.^{( : : ) Big cookie?

"A cinematic experience": Translation: "You like movies right? Good because we'll be yanking control away from you any chance we get, while ruining immersion with a perspective change. As a bonus, you get to watch B-movie-grade CGI and voice acting".

(Why yes, I did just start playing ME3, why do you ask).

"A cinematic experience": Translation: "You like movies right? Good because we'll be yanking control away from you any chance we get, while ruining immersion with a perspective change. As a bonus, you get to watch B-movie-grade CGI and voice acting".

(Why yes, I did just start playing ME3, why do you ask).

This.

Forgot: "9 gazzilion unique items". Translation: "Random number generators are easy, making the items behave different is hard"

@Lynk: I'm enjoying it as well so far (combat is good, and the "war asset" system is fantastic). It's exactly because I enjoy it that the "cinematic" stuff hurts so much. Also my gripe is not just against ME3 (though it, and DEHR are the worst offenders), just about every modern RPG seems to suffer from it.

Not any I really hate, but the one I hate not being there is MAPS. Give me a map and make the map available at all times.

Other than that I love ME3, so far. I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for 1/2 the time. Can't find Tali' either....:)

What I've heard a few times recently is the use of the word "reinventing". Like Halo 4 will reinvent the multiplayer and more of this nonsense. I hate that. Also, buzz words like "epic", "visceral" and the like. I know, they're not really features, but sometimes they're presented as such ("visceral combat" for example).

Checkpoints(or rather a lack thereof): In some places this wouldn't be a problem, if you can save at any point in the game. But if the game only allows saving at certain points, the lack of them really gets annoying. Namely when the points are such that the boss fights do have one right before them, and since there are no checkpoints, you have to do the entire fight each time you die.

Forced Tutorial: No, not when you have to do the tutorial, but when you go through the sections that teach you how to use the various aspects of the game, and it isn't enough to just learn how to do it. You must do it correctly, and you'll keep doing it until you get it right. Even if you can skip the tutorial, that doesn't help when it gives you a few bonuses you don't get otherwise.

Archived