What should we call this mod?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What should we call this mod?

• Ultimate Saber Mod 2
    • Masters of TSL
    • Advanced System Lightsabers
    • Community Lightsaber Project
    • Other

For those who don't know, I've been working on a saber mod that will be compatible with TSLRCM. It will bring USM, HOTOR and all the other hilts you can imagine together in one big mod.

Well instead of speculation and discussion, we are now entering Phase 2 of the mod making process.

Phase 2 is the part where the mod actually works and could be released as is (no TSLPatcher ATM)

However, since this is intending to expand beyond its current scope, I figure we can start a new thread not about which are your favorite sabers, but an official update thread. I'll still take input of course, but the focus of this is to provide updates and get feedback about the mod itself, not just the sabers.

Also, if you could, I'm trying to decide on an epic name to call this mod so people will be intrigued and download it. I don't want all this work to go to waste after all. Just vote above or if you have another idea, just post it below.

Here's where we're at.

USM - I have permission from Chainz.2da to use USM hilts. 20 of which are converted

HOTOR - I have permission from Qui-Don Jorn to use HOTOR hilts, just waiting for the textures

Quanon - Permission Pending

Evasto - Evast's Lightsaber, Inrita's, Ametha's and Kilana's Lightsabers

oldflash - Any and all of his hilts.

DeadMan - Lightsaber Pikes (credit will be given)

And a few others (some Kotorfiles ones that slip my mind)

Here's the current system in action. (USM hilts and my own Sith Hilts included)

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as a name is concerned, how about something like a mashup music title to spice up the community lightsaber project angle:

Heroes of the Ultimate Old Republic Saber Mod (feat. Qui-Don Jorn, ChAiNz.2da, Darth333, Seprithro, svösh, T7nowhere, Quanon, Evasto, DeadMan, VarsityPuppet)

Yeah I know I just love new big time mods and can't wait to use them.

Problem being that there are way too many sabers from different mods to give them all a reference.

Masters of KOTOR or Masters of TSL was the one I was going with the most, because the name refers more to the authors of the mods and sounds fairly imposing.

Oh, also, I have permission from oldflash to use some of his saber mods.

I think because you are adding a new system that should be reflected in the name, just XXX Lightsaber Mod doesn't do it justice.

^This.

The problem is that if I use a name like "LightSaber Console", it's pretty vague as to what the mod actually does. To the average user, it could be just a computer that gives you infinite lightsabers.

That's really the problem - coming up with a name that does it justice.

EDIT AND UPDATE:

I forgot to add: oldflash has given permssion to use his lightsaber hilts

Oldflash mainly had replacement hilts for the default sabers if I recall.

Also, I was curious about compatibility with any of the flickering saber color mods such as http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/MovieStyle_Retextures_v9;121445

I'm using the animated textures in the video. Completely compatible.

But for the hell of it, I'm including and making a new version. Pretty much the same, just gets rid of the weird ghost image of the blade meshes. Also, the textures fps is waay higher so you get a sort of vibrating quality to the blade.

I had in mind to maybe remap the saber blades so they're a bit more consistent in a 360 degree angle around the hilt.

Very true about oldflash and his hilts, but as long as I can find a suitable name for them (backstory isn't always necessary, for instance), I think we'll be alright.

Lastly, on the issue of expanded colors (It came up on DeadlyStream), originally the plan was just to nix the expanded colors. But, if you guys want em all, let me know. It's certainly easy to add more colors, but I need to come to a conclusion or I'll have to redo a lot of the work.

Lastly, on the issue of expanded colors (It came up on DeadlyStream), originally the plan was just to nix the expanded colors. But, if you guys want em all, let me know. It's certainly easy to add more colors, but I need to come to a conclusion or I'll have to redo a lot of the work.

I vote yes on the colors. They were definitely a good addition to USM.

Woot, those look very pretty ^_^

I'm working on some new hilts aswell, just for this mod, but I'll show them a bit later.

Still fiddling with some bits on some of the models.

But this mod will be a great pack once its done.

More colors is always a good thing. I read somewhere that people become happier when getting to choose their own color palette.

Also, I don't like the Song Name mash up title, it's too... Rap for my tastes. I'd go with either the Community one, or what the poster was actually leaning toward and calling it Masters of TSL. That name would hook me in a heartbeat.

"Masters of TSL" doesn't mention lightsabers at all; it sounds like you've bent the entire game to your will (probably with Force Lightning :lightning).

Now, if you called it "Saber Masters" or "Hilt Masters" then you're getting somewhere. Add in "of Holowan Labs" and you've got your community angle. On second though, that starts sounding more like a team name than a mod name.

Here's a preview for my part of the mod, modelwise. Not as highpoly as above and differant; but that's a good thing isn't it? ;)

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

ibk5.jpg

1. How'd you get that long twist in the first one?

2. Oh, I just love that third one, Q!

Here's a preview for my part of the mod, modelwise. Not as highpoly as above and differant; but that's a good thing isn't it? ;)

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

ibk5.jpg

Excellent work, Q!

Something I forgot to mention though that I also mentioned to Trig.

Try to keep the poly counts on the low side. 1000 - 1500 polys for a more artistic saber is just fine, but I've been keeping normalish sabers in the 300 - 700 range.

That said, hilts are amazing. Any name ideas for the hilts?

"Masters of TSL" doesn't mention lightsabers at all; it sounds like you've bent the entire game to your will (probably with Force Lightning ).

Now, if you called it "Saber Masters" or "Hilt Masters" then you're getting somewhere. Add in "of Holowan Labs" and you've got your community angle. On second though, that starts sounding more like a team name than a mod name.

Holowan Saber Mod?

Archived