Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

1 hour ago, AndywinXp said:

EDIT: Also, being that there was no built-in synth engine in the Amiga (I think?), each of those music pieces had to be shipped in a self-contained way (samples+sequence), and it probably occupied too much space

Yeah, I was gonna say that I think the way those music files must have worked on the amiga, it would have taken up space. I mean, if the files were tiny then it wouldn't have made much sense to remove as much as they did. I don't recall the Stan theme being there either, and I don't think that one is very complicated to iMUSE. It must have been a space thing.

It probably would be possible to find out how much space the music took up on those disks...

On the topic of music, a very niché iMUSE-related curiosity I've noticed: The Dinky beach theme has two layers, the base which plays all the time and an extra layer that doesn't activate until after Guybrush has stood up post initial arrival. The part where this becomes a curiosity is that the rendition of the Dinky beach theme in the Special Edition was composed without the extra layer, similarly the various soundtrack compilations on youtube also lack the extra layer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

• a UI reveal (verb coin or bust! (yes, I know: "What's a verb bust?". You'll see.))

It definitely won't be a coin. I messaged Ron Gilbert back in August 2019 to ask what he'd replace verbs with in the (then fictitious) Monkey Island 3a. I said I liked the verb coin in Curse because it feels like a good compromise, but he said - and I quote -

'I despise the coin interface. I have a much better idea that I'll implement if I ever do another point-and-click game.

Much. Better.'

Looking back now, having played Delores, I think what he didn't like about the coin was that the three verbs are static, never changing. But we shall see. I definitely believe he's invented something Much. Better and I can't wait to try it out.

8 hours ago, AndywinXp said:

Also, being that there was no built-in synth engine in the Amiga (I think?), each of those music pieces had to be shipped in a self-contained way (samples+sequence), and it probably occupied too much space

Yep. MIDI music was "cheap" in DOS. It had little overheads as the instruments came with the soundcard (which is also why it sounded so awful). The Amiga meant they had to choose the instruments themselves (and load them). I think that's why SOMI sounded so good... someone took the time to find interesting instruments. But 2 was a much bigger beast, and sound was the first to go, apparently.

20 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

I'm not thinking of the Stan theme, though incidentally I don't mind the MI1 CD theme at all. I know it's not by the big 3 but I'm still quite fond of it. I think it's massively underrated. Has a particularly nice B section.

Detest is a strong word, but sometimes it's not strong enough :) I replaced my CD version with a blank audiotrack to make sure I never had to listen to it again. Maybe it's just me, but I felt it also undermined Stan's presence in SOMI. Hell the CD version is easily my least favourite version, come to think of it. It introduced so many bugs, too. 

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

11 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Detest is a strong word, but sometimes it's not strong enough :) I replaced my CD version with a blank audiotrack to make sure I never had to listen to it again. Maybe it's just me, but I felt it also undermined Stan's presence in SOMI. Hell the CD version is easily my least favourite version, come to think of it. It introduced so many bugs, too. 

Each to their own I guess! I kind of like its energy, kind of has this cheap-glitzy sort of vibe that I definitely associate with Stan. I must have liked it okay, as I made a MIDI of it, back when that's a thing people did. I just checked, it's still up on https://legendofmi.com/downloads/midis/ ... I really do like the second section that comes in, it feels very like a lot of MI2 music to me.

• Like 2

This also feels like a 'we're very close' hint to me.

My understanding is that credits usually come very late in the process. Because you don't want to have to keep maintaining them whenever someone else gets involved in the process. As I recall, the version of Psychonauts 2 I played didn't have credits in it yet.

Septembarrrrrrrr

• Like 1

I think we can be fairly certain that one of 2 things will happen at the end of all the Monkey Island Mondays:

1) We'll get a release date

2) The game will be out

Of course, part of me is hoping they do, like, 5 MI Mondays instead of 10. I'm just dying to get into this thing!

2 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

Each to their own I guess! I kind of like its energy, kind of has this cheap-glitzy sort of vibe that I definitely associate with Stan. I must have liked it okay, as I made a MIDI of it, back when that's a thing people did. I just checked, it's still up on https://legendofmi.com/downloads/midis/ ... I really do like the second section that comes in, it feels very like a lot of MI2 music to me.

I should give you credit then. Are all of them yours?

21 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

I think that's tremendously unlikely, but then I also said that about them doing a Nintendo Direct reveal.

If this game's marketing has taught me anything, it's that my guesses are VERY wrong. I was on the "it's an April Fools joke" side of the fence when Ron announced it on his blog. Anything can happen. 

6 minutes ago, Blondebeard said:

I should give you credit then. Are all of them yours?

I would say a few up on there are mine. Some of them have credits in the zip file, although they're very old credits. That one, Palace of Prostheses and Transmogrification school from EMI are mine, but there could be others, I haven't checked.

Don't worry, though, I don't feel strongly about being credited for some midi transcriptions I did in my teens over 20 years ago :D

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

I would say a few up on there are mine. Some of them have credits in the zip file, although they're very old credits. That one, Palace of Prostheses and Transmogrification school from EMI are mine, but there could be others, I haven't checked.

Don't worry, though, I don't feel strongly about being credited for some midi transcriptions I did in my teens over 20 years ago :D

Okay, also mine: "Music at LeChuck's ship hold.",

"Rollercoaster music." (But not "Improved rollercoaster music, wow, rude 😉 .. nah, the other one is better, a 2 person effort I think, and I just wanted to make something quick so I couldn't be bothered to include the full loops)

"At Voodoo Lady's swamp." (a weirdly unfinished version of the tune I made, which has some wrong notes in it and just cuts off suddenly. It was never a very good version of it anyway - my transcription ability at the time was really being taxed. You can hear my EMI ones a few years later are much improved)

speaking of which... all 3 of the EMI ones are mine, weirdly I remember the Herman one now I listen to it, but have no memory of doing it otherwise.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, OzzieMonkey said:

If this game's marketing has taught me anything, it's that my guesses are VERY wrong. I was on the "it's an April Fools joke" side of the fence when Ron announced it on his blog. Anything can happen. 

Heh, I'd say my guesses have been pretty good aside from the Nintendo direct thing. I actually missed the april fools joke as it went without incident, but I wish I hadn't because I think it would have dredged up some memory of his disdain for April Fools jokes and I might have been tempted to say something.

I wonder if one of the things we see in future Monday tweets is that series recap that Dave Grossman mentioned in that German translated interview. Would be cool to see how they're gonna get new players up to speed on the story, considering most people would expect a pirate story instead of being thrown into a carnival playing a kid with his parents and older brother. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dmnkly said:

*pssh*.... as if.

So there ARE woodchuck tonge twisters. 😊

9 minutes ago, OzzieMonkey said:

Would be cool to see how they're gonna get new players up to speed on the story, considering most people would expect a pirate story instead of being thrown into a carnival playing a kid with his parents and older brother. 

The interesting thing is that they even feel it's necessary. For each new Monkey Island to date, you got along fine as a new player. Particularly as Guybrush veered into the blank slate character type starting with CMI.

Edited by Vainamoinen
  • Haha 1

I really hope we get a release date next Monday, especially if it comes out in September. Would only be two months away (if it comes out on "International Talk Like a Pirate Day," it would be one day short of exactly two months) and it would be perfect time to open up preorders. Would also love if they keep tweaking Stan's dialogue trees on the site to match the reveals.

Edited by demone
  • Like 2

Always encouraging to see they're still heading for a 2022 release – especially since Sea of Stars got pushed back to '23 and since November and December are undevolvery months to release anything in.

I'm not seeing that release date just around the corner though. It's indie development in the roaring twenties ... as soon as they're more or less done, they announce a release date in the following days, and even that might get pushed back as new bugs resurface.