Home

A Conversation with Aaron Giles, Clint Bajakian, Annie Fox, Ken Macklin, Michael Land, Steve Purcell, Mike Stemmle, Larry Ahern, Hal Barwood, Mark Ferrari, Ron Gilbert, Dave Grossman, Aric Wilmunder, Noah Falstein, Gary Winnick & more (Updated: March 3rd)

danielalbu

Thanks for all these fantastic interviews. As a hardcore LucasArts soundtrack fan, the one with Michael Land was obviously my favourite so far 😉

Maybe you‘ll get also the chance to talk to Clint Bajakian and Peter McConnell too in future 😉

11 hours ago, LGH_ said:

Thanks for all these fantastic interviews. As a hardcore LucasArts soundtrack fan, the one with Michael Land was obviously my favourite so far 😉

Maybe you‘ll get also the chance to talk to Clint Bajakian and Peter McConnell too in future 😉

I already interviewed Clint Bajakian a few weeks ago, we had a 5-hour conversation (my longest one yet).

The conversation will premiere next month.

Peter McConnell is on my bucket list for 2024.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

• danielalbu changed the title to A Conversation with Charlie Ramos, Ken Macklin, Michael Land, Steve Purcell, Mike Stemmle, Larry Ahern, Hal Barwood, Mark Ferrari, Ron Gilbert, Dave Grossman, Aric Wilmunder, Denny Delk, Noah Falstein, Gary Winnick & more (Updated: Jan 14th)

Any of you fans of the classic 1997 LucasArts FPS game Outlaws?

🎙️ Join me TODAY for the YouTube premiere of my conversation with LucasArts animator and Outlaws lead animator, Charlie Ramos!

📝 In this conversation we discuss Outlaws, The Dig, Full Throttle and more!

Today @ Noon (PT)

Edited by danielalbu

• danielalbu changed the title to A Conversation with Charlie Ramos, Ken Macklin, Michael Land, Steve Purcell, Mike Stemmle, Larry Ahern, Hal Barwood, Mark Ferrari, Ron Gilbert, Dave Grossman, Aric Wilmunder, Denny Delk, Noah Falstein, Gary Winnick & more (Updated: Feb 4th)

Thanks, I‘ve started listening to it. Great conversation, as always!

For me, Outlaws is a game with a love-hate relationship. I really was a huge fan of the soundtrack, and I enjoyed the excellent cut scenes and story.

But I didn’t really enjoy the actual gameplay. I’m not really a fan of ego shooters anyway, and the ingame graphics looked quite “meh” on my graphics card. The game was something I had to get through, just to reach the next cut scene 😉

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LGH_ said:

Thanks, I‘ve started listening to it. Great conversation, as always!

For me, Outlaws is a game with a love-hate relationship. I really was a huge fan of the soundtrack, and I enjoyed the excellent cut scenes and story.

But I didn’t really enjoy the actual gameplay. I’m not really a fan of ego shooters anyway, and the ingame graphics looked quite “meh” on my graphics card. The game was something I had to get through, just to reach the next cut scene 😉

Thanks for watching!

I wasn't that interested in playing Outlaws back in the 90's.

I played it for a while, but not too much.

Recently, when Aaron Giles added support for Outlaws in DREAMM, I started playing it and I got hooked!

(Side note: I'm currently editing my third conversation with Aaron Giles, and we're playing Outlaws there as well)

• danielalbu changed the title to A Conversation with Annie Fox, Charlie Ramos, Ken Macklin, Michael Land, Steve Purcell, Mike Stemmle, Larry Ahern, Hal Barwood, Mark Ferrari, Ron Gilbert, Dave Grossman, Aric Wilmunder, Denny Delk, Noah Falstein, Gary Winnick & more (Updated: Feb 4th)

🎙️ Tune in TODAY for the YouTube premiere of my conversation with acclaimed author Annie Fox!

📝 We'll delve into the Putt-Putt series, Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective as well as her new book "The Little Things That Kill" that comes out TODAY!

Premiering NOW!

Edited by danielalbu
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, danielalbu said:

🎙️ Tune in TODAY for the YouTube premiere of my conversation with acclaimed author Annie Fox!

Personal aside: Annie and David were both instrumental in me getting into programming, writing not one, but three of the first books I read on the topic. A few years later I first played Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken, and although I noticed "David Fox" in the credits, I didn't even realize the connection to those early programming books of theirs until a few years ago. 😁

Edited by Serge
  • Like 1

Thank you for sharing your story!

You’re welcome to write it in the comments section of the video as Annie reads the comments.

Plus, the premiere is still on and she’s currently in the live chat!

Edited by danielalbu
  • Like 1

• danielalbu changed the title to A Conversation with Clint Bajakian, Annie Fox, Ken Macklin, Michael Land, Steve Purcell, Mike Stemmle, Larry Ahern, Hal Barwood, Mark Ferrari, Ron Gilbert, Dave Grossman, Aric Wilmunder, Denny Delk, Noah Falstein, Gary Winnick & more (Updated: Feb 18th)

🎙️ Don't miss my longest conversation yet!

🎵 Join me today for my 4.5-hour conversation with acclaimed LucasArts composer Clint Bajakian!

🗒️ We'll talk about Outlaws, Monkey Island 2, The Dig, Full Throttle and many other classic games!

Today @ Noon (PT)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You asked for it...
Tech Talk with Daniel Albu is coming to a podcast platform near you!

From now on, each new conversation will first premiere on YouTube, followed by a podcast release 3 weeks later.

On Spotify, you'll also have the video available: 

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/danielalbu

Edited by danielalbu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Chef's Kiss 2

On 2/18/2024 at 8:15 PM, danielalbu said:

🎵 Join me today for my 4.5-hour conversation with acclaimed LucasArts composer Clint Bajakian!

🗒️ We'll talk about Outlaws, Monkey Island 2, The Dig, Full Throttle and many other classic games!

Today @ Noon (PT)

Watched the first hour and a half, it's just incredible. Great work once again, I'll keep finishing this interview during the week 😁

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 4:15 AM, danielalbu said:

Today @ Noon (PT)

Nice looking forward to listening! Clint is one of the greats. His contributions to the Return score were such a delight, truly iconic stuff. 

• Like 2

On 2/20/2024 at 6:57 AM, Laserschwert said:

I did NOT know that Clint paid the live orchestra recordings for his Emperor's Tomb soundtrack out of his own pockets. That's dedication!

That must have been right when BASD was starting out and wanted an example of what they could do under their belts. 

Here‘s a statement and a question.

First the statement: I cannot understand that some people prefer written interviews. The video interviews give so much room for details, background stories and anecdotes. If you’d try to pack that all in a written interview, you’d need to fill a book 😉 And please, don’t make the interviews shorter either. If I don’t have the time to listen to them in one shot, I can do that in slices!

And now for the question: often, at the end of the interview, you say sth like: here’s question from the chat. What chat are you referring to? It can’t be the chat on the YouTube premiere, since the interview has been conducted already before. Where do we learn which conversations you’re having next, and where could we contribute a question?

16 hours ago, LGH_ said:

I cannot understand that some people prefer written interviews.

I love how long these interviews are for how much information they contain, and for how much the personality of the interview subject is allowed to come through by spending so much time with them, but I still think I’d prefer to read them than watch them (maybe on this very website?? just saying!). I like reading! I like that the types of multitasking I can do when reading makes reading the focus but I can have music on, or quickly drop in and out of it to talk to someone else in the room. Watching a video interview either demands my full attention or at least demands the use of my ears - it’s fully occupied time that I have to play/pause. I know that I’d personally get more enjoyment out of these if i could read them at my own pace, but I also love that they are conducted as realtime video interviews and will forever be preserved with the subjects own voices as a feature. 

I know this is a goofy argument to make :)  I think it’s pretty subjective, different types of people like to consume media in different ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake said:

I think it’s pretty subjective, different types of people like to consume media in different ways.

Yes, obviously, it's always a personal preference. Concerning the multitasking argument: I often listen to interviews while driving the car. (And yes, rest assured, if I do, I don't watch the image of the video 😉)

Also, I'm grateful for any interview I get (if the person/subject is interesting for me). The written ones too 😉 

count me in for team written. that said, very happy to hear this is becoming a podcast. that will be my preferred way of consuming these interviews.

edit: in fact, i just subscribed via Apple Podcasts!

Edited by dognut

On 2/27/2024 at 12:41 AM, LGH_ said:

Here‘s a statement and a question.

First the statement: I cannot understand that some people prefer written interviews. The video interviews give so much room for details, background stories and anecdotes. If you’d try to pack that all in a written interview, you’d need to fill a book 😉 And please, don’t make the interviews shorter either. If I don’t have the time to listen to them in one shot, I can do that in slices!

And now for the question: often, at the end of the interview, you say sth like: here’s question from the chat. What chat are you referring to? It can’t be the chat on the YouTube premiere, since the interview has been conducted already before. Where do we learn which conversations you’re having next, and where could we contribute a question?

The "Questions from our viewers" section is questions from people on our Discord server.

I inform people days (and sometimes weeks) in advance about my upcoming interviews and they send in their questions.

So join our Discord and you'll see a lot of this information on the "Tech Talk with Daniel Albu" channel there.

https://discord.conversationswithcurtis.com/

Looking forward to your questions!

On 2/28/2024 at 1:48 AM, ThunderPeel2001 said:

I'm personally a podcast person. Audio-only would be my preferred way. I can listen to them during tube journeys and it will remember my place when I stop.

I started uploading all of my previous conversation on Spotify / Apple Podcasts / Amazon Music.

On Spotify, you'll also be able to watch the video if you want.

Since I have quite a backlog, older conversations will be uploaded little by little, but from the Clint Bajakian conversation on, all conversations will be available around 3 weeks after their YouTube premiere:

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/danielalbu

• Like 2
  • Chef's Kiss 2

Well, it's not a Tech Talk with Daniel Albu, but here's my Techs Play with Noah Falstein!

(Techs Play is a series in which I bring back people I interviewed and I play one of their games)

So here's Noah Falstein playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis for the first time in 30 years!

• Like 1

• danielalbu changed the title to A Conversation with Aaron Giles, Clint Bajakian, Annie Fox, Ken Macklin, Michael Land, Steve Purcell, Mike Stemmle, Larry Ahern, Hal Barwood, Mark Ferrari, Ron Gilbert, Dave Grossman, Aric Wilmunder, Noah Falstein, Gary Winnick & more (Updated: March 3rd)

🎙️ Join me TODAY for my third conversation with emulation genius, Aaron Giles!

🗒️ In this conversation, we'll play a few LucasArts classics and showcase all of the new features of version 3.0 of his emulator, DREAMM!

Today @ Noon (PT)