Home

My new CTF Map...

DadMad

Originally posted by wudan

Is that Snow Outside, and, if you tested it in MP, How?

Also, when you say 'particle smoke' do you mean that you made a custom effect using the effects editor?

Yeah... im using the effects editor.

the snow was made with it and the smoke too... they run great in mp... ok the snow causes some bugs atm (weapon shots disappear...), its to big, but I will fix it :)

HOLY ****!!!!

'scuse my total amazement... sheesh, why am I even gonna bother finishing my Mars map with people like you out there???

One suggestion: I notice that a lot of your fine detail brushwork is fairly 2-dimensional, like the circuitry grillework in the very first sequence of shots you posted, or the rivets, or the catwalk floors. You might try making a custom shader that consists of a metal texture where you want the grill to be and transparent everywhere else, that way you can make ONE brush for all that instead of however many dozens are there now. It will look a tiny bit less detailed, but if you do it well the tradeoff will not be that much and you'll be able to boost FPS and not have to worry about hitting the max brush count. :D Only other suggestion...make sure you have LOTS of portals, especailly between outside and inside. How long does that take to compile?

Seriously, I have a 1.8 GHz processor and a 64mb GeForce 4...I downloaded the Anchorhead map and my FPS counter rarely went over 10. It kept hitting 1, and looking very crappy because of that. I deleted that map after my first run-around in it (sorry!) just because it wasn't really playable. You should try to make a map with a decent framerate so that it can be used for some good gaming as well as eye candy.

Originally posted by acdcfanbill

I still wanna know how that snow works in MP.... :D

I already asked - it looks to be 34 fx_runners.

I hate to say this, but this map is insanely not playable - very very nice to look at screenies of it, but that's just about it, I'm afraid.

If you we half as handy with textures as you are with brushes, you'd be able to cut out more than half of the brushes on that map.

I'd highly recommend it, otherwise you will have a beautifully unplayable map.

Also, every time any entity fires, especially fx_funners, the game has to send that information to each and every client, making the map lag hard, which is why Raven's MP maps don't make use of 'looped' fx_runners.

Anyway, I really like what you've done, it's awesome, but not practical. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, sorry :(

Originally posted by DadMad

Thats all at the moment... I think at the end it will be about 70k Brushes... the inside part is just 20% complet :)

This has been said a couple of times in a couple of different threads, but you haven't responded to it yet, so I'll ask again - how do you plan to get past the maximum brush limit issue? 70k brushes is going to overshoot the maximum amount of allowable brushes by tens of thousands. The map looks incredible, but it'll never make it into the game engine with so many brushes.

Yeah.... as stated in the trailer thread, the hard-coded brush limit is a little over 32,000. Only way to change this is editing the engine code itself. So...hope you either like a pretty level to show off in Radiant, or I'd drastically cut down the brush detail.

Archived