Home

Cell/Mobile Phones

Darklighter

Do you have a mobile/cell phone?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a mobile/cell phone?

• Yes! I love the ringtones!
    • No...get away from me...

Since I am the only one in the Swamp right now:((you all left me?...why?...WHY?) , I have decided to conduct a survey concerning the ownership of mobile telephones, called cell phones in the US and Canada I believe.

It is becoming a big problem in England in my eyes. Children as young as 9 are being bought mobile phones and spending money like there is no tomorrow. Do you have a mobile phone? What do you think the minimum age should be to have one?

You thoughts please...

:)

I have no need for such a pop item.

First of all, it would take a lot of money to talk and send all those messages, and I do not have that kind of money right now.

It is usually "forced" upon people by group pressure and pop society - trust me when I say that most people who own one and feel dependant on it, really doesn't need one, and their dependance is all in their head.

For instance, when somebody who owns a mobile gets a call or message (mostly teenie girls, but a good example), they'll cry "I've got friends, yipeee!" :rolleyes:

They really only use it to further their ego and popularity in a group. Another act of idiocy is to act like you're talking on your mobile while walking in the city or taking the bus - only thing is that you're not really talking with someone except yourself and only do so because it looks cool.

Before people cry: "It's so useful and I'm very dependant on it" - know that I could say the same thing about lava lamps.

There shouldn't be a minimum age requirement, but kids at the age of 8 or 9 should really consider if they need a mobile that bad.

Where does the "cell" in cell phone come from, btw?

Tyrion?! Why you little...

I told you to post, but within reason:mad:

:plol

I have a mobile phone, and I am 16. I think it's only at this age that people need them. Maybe not even 16. I mean it's a good way of keeping in touch with people, and very useful for going out and about and letting people know where you are. Text messaging is also good, though it costs a lot of money.

Ty, better make that post worthwhile within the next few minutes, else it'll be -1 for you.

Cell, I think, comes from the battery, which uses cells to power the phone.

Personally, I have no need for a cell phone. I can dig up 50 cents to make a phone call from a pay phone. Sure, it's convienient at times, but like everyone's said, it is usually a huge waste of money. Not to mention that we don't know the long term effects of carrying cell phones so close to our reproductive organs and what kind of effects that'll have 50 years down the road. I do not want to find out personally.

i have one, and i got one because i went to high school (age:12, almost 13) and my parents wanted to be albe to riech me if something happends. i know some kids that have a cell phone when they are 8:eek: it's just stupid, i think that going to highscool must be a line, because you'll be more away from home.

nine: never thought of it actualy, it could be extremely bad for us:( well, i build up tha happid when i'm sitting somewhere, i lay my cell phone somewhere else, like next to me:D

Hell yeah, I've got a cell phone! :D It is the only phone I've got....I don't have a home phone (now referred to as "land-line"). I get free long distance and it is a great way to go! I have caller ID so I don't have to answer the phone when I don't want to talk to someone! It's a nice feature to have!!! ^_^

I do not own a cell phone but my Mom does. From what I have seen recently, the companies get more and more desperate to sell them. I mean they now come with actual games. Full color games. And the comercials, ugh. Its one thing to buy a phone and another to buy a cell phone with all these crap features that a lot of ppl don't need. And ringtones. What is the point of ringtones. Whoopee! I get to hear a badly imatated version of a song I like. Well used to like because the ringtone made me hate it.

they ARE useful ... and a good way of keeping in contact with yer mates

sure you could live without texting yer mates a bit but thats not my main use of 1

i live in the country .... not quite the middle of nowhere ... but close

there arent many payfones about .... also ... for example

when i rolled my mini (im sure u seen the fotos) i NEEDED my mobile to ring my sister to come help me sort it out

if i didnt have my mobile i wouldve had to walk for about 20 minutes to get to a fone .... if id been injured ... that wouldnt be possible ... there werent many people around ... that wouldve put me in a BAAAAAAAAAADD situation

sure it costs a bit ... but if u dont like the cost ... dont pay it

Side Note: Cell comes from the fact that the transmitters create cells of reception around them (all at different carrier frequencies so they dont interfere) and you fone communicates with the transmitter of the cell its in .... hence the name

could also come from the battery ... but its not a cell ... its a group of cells ... my physics book said it was from transmitter cells

i dont have one, but when im 16, i will get one for a few reasons

1. i will have a job, therefore i will be able to pay the bill for using it

2. to call friends or parents to pick me up if i have to work late or something....

3. my sister will be 14 by then, and we all kno teenage girls (most of em) never get off the phone.....

ringtones .... have a use ... you can tell which fone is ringing (but its taken too far)

SMS ... useful ... cept for my mum who's text vocab extends to: "Yes", "No" and "OK"

Games .... people get bored ... people buy gameboy's

Camera .... hmmmm ur right this 1's useless

MP3 player ... you got a fone ... you got an mp3 player .... Combine .... save pocket space (cos i know u lot like pocket snooker ;) j/k)

Radio .... read above

some others?

I've had a mobile for as long as I can remember. They are extremely useful and give me piece of mind. I know that as soon as my daughters start secondary school, I will be giving them mobile phones AND strict instructions that they are only to be used in emergency.

I must admit, I'm a bit of a SMS freak, I send on average 5 a day and receive countless.

HERETICS!! YOU'RE ALL HERETICS!!! GAAAAAARRHHHH!...

Really, people think the pc is invaluable today, much the same as with microwave ovens, lava lamps, multiple tv's, playstation's, digital watches, electricity and cars... ...is the world coming to an end?

BAH! I'm moving back to the vikings, they could make do without all of this fancy crap! So long fellas!

Originally posted by Clem

lexx .... how are u gonna know if they used the fones ... they wont use it for just emergencies (i hate to break it to ya)

I will know because it will not be payasyougo. I will be in control of the bills. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Clem

that and the horny hat fetish u got cjais :)

*Goes into mushroom induced berserker frenzy*

See this? I can make do with a can and a friggin' string!

You're all brainwashed slaves of pop society!!! Ya won't believe me now, but ya'll start listening once your heads explode!

<Starts singing heal the world>

It has nothing to do with pop society. I have my phone because it is a handy thing to have, not to look 'cool'. I hardly ever bring it out in public and I certainly don't pose with it. I answer all my texts at home when I have time. I'm sure if someone gave you a mobile for christmas, you wouldn't refuse it.

Originally posted by leXX

I will know because it will not be payasyougo. I will be in control of the bills. :rolleyes:

hmmm ... ur economic choice .... PAYG is the obv. way for emergency fones ... cos u dont pay .... unless its an emergency ... otherwise ur paying what .... a tenner a month?

I personally think its ridiculous for anyone under the age of 16 to have a cell phone. I mean, why would they need one. Its not like they can go driving or even go to parties. now for someone that is of legal age to drive, preferably above 16, even 17, that would be more understandable, because they drive (alot) and are out more and the alike.

Archived