Home

Rhett's WTF of the Week

Boba Rhett

Cousin unions addressed

Published Jan. 17, 2003

One of the more talked-about bill introductions Thursday was a proposal to eliminate Minnesota's law against marriages between first cousins.

The bill is sponsored by DFL Reps. Phyllis Kahn of Minneapolis and Cy Thao of St. Paul. They say recent scientific studies conclude that children of first cousins are at no greater risk of genetic defects than others. Thao, one of two Hmong legislators, said such unions are not uncommon in that culture. Kahn said the law also is a problem for Somali immigrants.

Rep. Marty Seifert, R-Marshall, joked that the bill would appear to conflict with Gov. Tim Pawlenty's oft-stated promise "not to turn us into another Arkansas."

WTF. :indif: To all you from Minnesota, shame on you.

:p;)

Actually, my family on my mother's side is somewhat like this. They're from really southern Missouri and two of my cousins married 6th and 8th cousins. :indif:

Link

I'm going w/ Cjais. I don't really give a damn if someone's cousin marries another. How it's perceived is all in the current social opinion, and that will change with time. I'm not saying it's "right" in "today's standards." I'm just questioning how solid those standards are.

Damn, it's time like this when we need a WTF smiley.

That's just disgusting, I'm sorry, but....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwww!

*nods in agreement with Rhett's WTF of the Week*

Archived