Home

Space Shuttle Columbia Has Broken Apart Upon Re-Entry

Boba Rhett

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very sad. When I go here and read their profiles, it just makes me even more sad. They were people just like you and me. It makes you think of what it was like when the first problem happend. What it felt like for them. How scared they were, there was nothing they coould do, just waiting to die. Hopefully their death was quick, not prolonged.

How long before they make a movie about it?

i'm not going to comment on the 'why' factor, but just leave a thought for the familys of all involved... this must be horrible...

its very eerie to be flying a plane alone and listening to it on the radio at the sametime... :(

as a sideline, do you think the X-38 replacement which was schuduled to enter service this year will be rushed into place?

SPY

Well, they didn't go for fame. I mean, who's ever heard of one of those people? I was just another mission into space, they weren't geting fame and fortune. It's sad when a person gets killed by a drunk driver, but that doesn't mean that you don't feel bad for the familys of the people who died.

Originally posted by Tyrion

Huh?

I thought most of them went to space because they wanted to,not to risk thier lives for humanity.

Oh well...

Going up in a shuttle is risking your life, like firemen and soilders risk their life. Yes they wanted to do it but it is for research and our wanting to understand the universe and advance in the field of science that astronaughts do what they do. At the end of the day, they are risking their lives for our greater knowledge and advancement of the human species. This is why they are heroes and should be treated as such.

Originally posted by leXX

Going up in a shuttle is risking your life, like firemen and soilders risk their life. Yes they wanted to do it but it is for research and our wanting to understand the universe and advance in the field of science that astronaughts do what they do. At the end of the day, they are risking their lives for our greater knowledge and advancement of the human species. This is why they are heroes and should be treated as such.

Why should risking ones life be worthy of heroism. Wouldnt someone who was in the peace corps, gave money to the poor,and such, be unworthy of being a hero?

Originally posted by Skate Boy

Well, they didn't go for fame. I mean, who's ever heard of one of those people? I was just another mission into space, they weren't geting fame and fortune. It's sad when a person gets killed by a drunk driver, but that doesn't mean that you don't feel bad for the familys of the people who died.

But you dont see a special segment on the people who died by drunk drivers on tv,do you?

You can do good,but you need to do extradoniary stuff to be a hero...

sigh....

Anyone who does something for the greater good of mankind is a hero. Not everyone is going to be recognised as such by everyone. I saved my brother from drowning when I was 10 years old, do I have any medals? No. True heros don't require thanks for what they do, they are happy in the knowledge that what they do makes a difference.

Originally posted by Tyrion

Why should risking ones life be worthy of heroism. Wouldnt someone who was in the peace corps, gave money to the poor,and such, be unworthy of being a hero?

They might be heros also, but that still doesn't mean that people who go up in space for science aren't heros.

But you dont see a special segment on the people who died by drunk drivers on tv,do you?

You can do good,but you need to do extradoniary stuff to be a hero...

sigh....

Not to sound mean, but how can being killed by a drunk driver make you a hero? So when I start to drive I'm a hero just because I'm brave enough to take the chance of being killed? That would apply to anything. Riding a bike for example, you could get hit by a car and die whilke ridin a bike, but that doen't make you a hero.

Think of it this way. If a man goes into the army and gets killed in battle, he's a hero, right? So, I think the same thing applys to going into space.

It goes without saying, that this is not only a terrible loss for the crew and their families, but all of mankind.

The equipment and information that was lost....

I hope that the Space Program can learn from this (and try to prevent future mistakes) and push on, to broaden our horizons.

May they rest in peace.

Originally posted by Skate Boy

Not to sound mean, but how can being killed by a drunk driver make you a hero? So when I start to drive I'm a hero just because I'm brave enough to take the chance of being killed? That would apply to anything. Riding a bike for example, you could get hit by a car and die whilke ridin a bike, but that doen't make you a hero.

Think of it this way. If a man goes into the army and gets killed in battle, he's a hero, right? So, I think the same thing applys to going into space.

If a peace corps person from another country goes into Aisia to help people there,and he get's killed by a gang,does he become a hero?

(And LeXX,that's because you didnt do anything extraordinary. You did something people do at least 100 times a day(in the world,I mean.)

I do mourn for the astronaughts,though.

(Besides,the people in the WTC were just doing thier job,and they were honored when they were killed...)

While I'd never regard those astronauts as "heroes", it's still damn tragic and sad.

To view them as Heroes reeks of American idolization and patriotism.

They were what they were. Astronauts in a tragic accident.

But hey, at least they got their job done and went into space contrary to the even more unfortunate Challenger crew.

I hope this doesnt put a damper on the space programs advancement. People who think that this proves that space exploration is bad and we should just sit on our asses on this rock forever are fools. Some say we are going too far too fast. Its actually quite the opposite. We are going too short too slow. I want to see our species land on Mars and travel out of the solar system in my life time. That quite possibly wont happen unfortunately. Our space travel technology needs to advance much. Dont pull tax money out of NASA and put it into fat SUVs and bombs etc. Space exploration is the way of the future. These astronauts knew that and dedicated their lives to the great cause. I salute them. Of course my condolences to their families, friends and co-workers at NASA. Id love to be a space explorer (If I could). Most of the risks they take are nessesary. Thats how you pioneer, you take risks. This tragedy proves we need to advance and be more flawless in these endeavors. Going up in huge fuel guzzling rockets should be a thing of the past. The more that is taken away from the space program, the more unsafe it is. Never the less, I salute NASA and all the astronauts who pioneer our future. :thumbsup:

I only hope this doesn't effectively tie the hands of the space program. Statistically, given the shuttle design's age and weaknesses, it was technically "due" for another loss. In an industry where being on the absolute cutting edge of aerospace and computer technology is vital, I find it ridiculous how pitifully small the government has made NASA's budget. The shuttle design is 30 years old. That's years older than anything the military would touch with a 10 foot pole. I read a recent article in Wired on what NASA could have accomplished by now had its funding not been drastically reduced after the Apollo program, and lets just say it's exceedingly depressing.

Well, of course it is sad :(

But answer me this: How come the lives of 7 people (who volentarily took the risk of space travelling) is much more sad and important that the lives of the thousands of people who die each day of reasons that could be avoided? :mad:

Not to be rude, of course.

Originally posted by C'jais

While I'd never regard those astronauts as "heroes", it's still damn tragic and sad.

To view them as Heroes reeks of American idolization and patriotism.

They were what they were. Astronauts in a tragic accident.

But hey, at least they got their job done and went into space contrary to the even more unfortunate Challenger crew.

They are heros. They risk their lives for exploration. They tried their best to get the ship on a safe landing. Only loses were the people on the ship. You have to have the guts of a hero to do that stuff.

It's sad when anybody dies before their time.

It's not just just that seven people died today, its that they were pioneers into space... doing something (dangerous) that has the potential to benefit all of us on earth.

It was a loss for science, as well as a loss for their families. A little bit of hope died with them... but it doesn't have to set us back if we keep on...

Originally posted by inbredyokel

The shuttle design is 30 years old. That's years older than anything the military would touch with a 10 foot pole.

That makes it 1970's, which makes it designed AFTER the F-14 Tomcat, F-15 Eagle and F-16 Fighting Falcon, the E-6 Prowler, as well as after the SU-71, and U2 Spy plane, amongst others.

So, the US military wouldn't touch anything designed more than 30 years old? I think you underestimate the amount of time needed to design and successfully tender, test and build the plane and comission it into use into any air force.

We have heard about the F-22 for at least 10 years, and is not currently operational, and it is meant to be cutting edge. The F117 Stealth Fighter is also closer to 20 years old as well.

From what looked like an innocent piece of foam falling from the external fuel tank, looks to have caused problems on re-entry. It is more than coincidence that the telemetry shows problems associated with the left wing, beginning with the important hydraulic system. This failed approx 7 minutes before radio contact was lost....

Archived