Home

Warning! New Virus!

Darklighter

i just got this e-mail a few minutes ago:

Subject: NEW NASTY INTERNET VIRUS!!!!!

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:38:49 -0400

better to be warned then too late

IMPORTANT WARNING. Please Be Extremely Careful Especially if using internet mail such as Yahoo, Hotmail and so on. This information arrived this morning,from Microsoft and Norton. Please send it to everybody you know who accesses the Internet. You may receive an apparently harmless email with a Power Point presentation "Life is beautiful. pps" If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE FILE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, and delete it immediately. If you open this file, a message will appear on your screen saying: "It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful", subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the person who sent it to you will gain access to your name, e-mail and password. This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon. WE NEED TO DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO STOP THIS VIRUS: AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the antivirus Softs are not capable of destroying it. The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself "life owner", PLEASE MAKE A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS.

Thought I'd better warn you guys. Probably would be best to Virus check your computers too, for safe measure. Be careful.

Originally posted by BCanr2d2

Sounds more like a hoax, to flood email servers with people sending lots and lots of emails at the same time, to try and take them down......

Not a very legit sounding virus anyway..

I'm with him. That's written like a hoax, and most viruses won't send a specifically named file.

Seems like that email that went around this summer about a virus with an icon of a teddy bear that was actually a Java file required for Windows.

I dunn believe it :D

ANY instructions to email all your friends on your list if you get a virus is actually the wrong thing to do. You should not even get online until you have cleared the virus, to reduce it's impact on other people. So if people actually stopped falling to the hype, and thought with a little commonsense, what it is asking you to do is to spread the "virus" as wide as possible.

Most newer virii based upon the Klez/Lirva (Gee, it's Avril spelt backwards) and it's counterparts all have the same kind of "random" choice of file names from off your PC. So, yeah, that is the most likely threat, the older ones that send a specific files are a lot easier to catch.

Any time I even see them I delete them ASAP. I have subscribed to Norton AV for their virus alerts, so I only trust them.

Believe in the Beret!

BTW, it talks in such broad terms as to what it will do, and just chucks in Norton and Microsoft as legit names to make it sound better. Any proper warning will give more specifics as to how it delivers it's payload, and would also mention either a way to remove it, or limit it's affect.....

Originally posted by Darklighter

It was forwarded from a couple of dozen Hotmail users. Do you really have to be that suspicious of whether it's a hoax or not? Who cares, it was just a reminder in case the situation arose. I guess I'm sorry.

Don't be sorry Darky. Thanks for telling us anyways. :)

alsa, it was 3am and i was out of my head

and i deleted the bear.exe (luckily no harm has come of it)

basic rule of thumb if you dont know the person

and the subject sounds weird u no open

and if it comes from a friend and sounds weird,

email them and say hey did you sned me...

before opening.

Originally posted by Darklighter

i just got this e-mail a few minutes ago:

Subject: NEW NASTY INTERNET VIRUS!!!!!

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:38:49 -0400

better to be warned then too late

IMPORTANT WARNING. Please Be Extremely Careful Especially if using internet mail such as Yahoo, Hotmail and so on. This information arrived this morning,from Microsoft and Norton. Please send it to everybody you know who accesses the Internet. You may receive an apparently harmless email with a Power Point presentation "Life is beautiful. pps" If you receive it DO NOT OPEN THE FILE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, and delete it immediately. If you open this file, a message will appear on your screen saying: "It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful", subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC and the person who sent it to you will gain access to your name, e-mail and password. This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon. WE NEED TO DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO STOP THIS VIRUS: AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the antivirus Softs are not capable of destroying it. The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself "life owner", PLEASE MAKE A COPY OF THIS EMAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS.

Thought I'd better warn you guys. Probably would be best to Virus check your computers too, for safe measure. Be careful.

thats a hoax. such a freakin hoax. they want you to chain mail so they can get peoples emails onto their databoards and spam the crap out of them and you.

Originally posted by Father Torque

hey darkie thanks for the heads up, if i knew the guys email adress i could send an e-mail bomb to him that will delete files on his folder and see how he likes it. I seriously will. I will erase his e-mail program and the internet so he cant send anymore e-mails:D

if i ever want to get into a fight with you...talk me out of it

Originally posted by whitedragon

if i ever want to get into a fight with you...talk me out of it

lol, i would never send one unless someone screwed with my computer. Then I would but Darkie what was his sending adress? I seriously want to teach him not to mess with the colonel. Hey whitedragon im making a funny spoof for the script that me and my friends are making its gonna be a matrix spoof do you think you can help me?

Originally posted by Father Torque

Hey whitedragon im making a funny spoof for the script that me and my friends are making its gonna be a matrix spoof do you think you can help me?

well im makeing a matrix spoof right now but hell mabey we could combine our spoofs and make them ten times as funney. PM your idea to me and ill PM what i got so far

Archived