Home

How much of an upgrade would this be?

mariners2001

So I'm considering upgrading my video card. My system specs are:

Athlon 2000+

256DDR RAM

GeForce2 MX 200 32MB

I really want to upgrade to a GeForce4 Ti 4200 128MB and I've heard it's quite good. However, I'm wondering how much of an upgrade it'd be. JK2 currently runs at around 40-50 fps, would I see much of an upgrade like 70-80 at least? Just curious because I don't want to dish out the $120 for nothing.

Not sure about JKII, of course you would see an improvement, however, but the important thing is after you upgrade you can play many of the games currently and will be out (ie. Battlefield 1942). I have pretty much the same specs as you, and I so want to upgrade to a Ti4200. I say you should go for it.

Note, I also saw a Geforce FX 5200 going for around $100 at CompUSA. Wierd...I thought they were like the newest cards around (except Radeon 9800).

yeah well the GeForceFX 5200 is supposed to not be that great....however the GeForceFX 5600-5800 are supposed to be better than the GeForce4's

BTW, what kind of fps do you get on JK2 with a Radeon 9700?

I checked pricewatch.com and it says the lowest price for the Radeon is $220....a bit too much if you ask me.

I got my MSI 4 ti 4200 with 8x AGP 128 mb for $289 Canadian. I'm not sure on the current exchange rate but I think its about 1.5 or 1.6 so it should be ~$189 - $192... I upgraded from a GeForce mx 440 to it and it boosted it about 10 frames or so... it also prevented it from dropping a lot which usually happens during large saber fights.

Athlon xp 1800+

MSI GeForce 4 ti4200 128MB

~50-80

You should see higher with the 2000+, but it's not guaranteed. If you are really itching to get a card you don't need to replace anytime soon, I'd consider saving up a bit and getting a radeon 9700 or an fx 5800 ;)

Originally posted by mariners2001

yeah well the GeForceFX 5200 is supposed to not be that great....however the GeForceFX 5600-5800 are supposed to be better than the GeForce4's

I checked pricewatch.com and it says the lowest price for the Radeon is $220....a bit too much if you ask me.

Well, I dont have JK2, but I uh, *got* it once (deleted it, didnt like it) and I think my FPS was like 90-100 with max detail on.

And the price WILL be coming down. Just wait a few months. But if you're not patient, then go ahead with the 4200

Well...I get around 30-40 fps with my Radeon 9700 Pro. It sometimes dips lower if the scene being rendered becomes too much for the system. Of course this is with everything maxed out, volumetric shadows, and 4xAA and 8xAF (quality settings). So there you have it...:p

Video cards are a waste of money. Good old-fashioned paper cards are best, with plastic giving you an advantage if you happen to have a sucking chest wound on your hands. Also, in the hands of professionals, a playing card can either tell the future or make for a handy thrown weapon (what it lacks it lethality it makes up for by giving you a stack of fifty-one more of them.)

:D vlr

Avoid anything that has a MX label on it from nVidia... The Geforce 4 MX series is the Geforce 2 Ultra with a few extra bits added on, not even a Geforce 3 core chip.....

I'd say it'd be quite good, but the 4600 Ti Geforce 4 is probably what you should look at, it should only be a little bit more expensive, and is good bang for buck. Then again, the Radeon's are meant to be quite good too....

Originally posted by Evil Spock

Video cards are a waste of money. Good old-fashioned paper cards are best, with plastic giving you an advantage if you happen to have a sucking chest wound on your hands. Also, in the hands of professionals, a playing card can either tell the future or make for a handy thrown weapon (what it lacks it lethality it makes up for by giving you a stack of fifty-one more of them.)

:D vlr

lol

rrrrrrrright :rolleyes:

Actually, what I said was probably more interesting than "I don't know anything about video cards; good luck with that," which would've been more accurate. ;) I see people playing video cards in the bar, but I'm pretty sure that isn't what you meant...

Are video cards square or rectangular? What do they taste like? Can they be used to hypnotize the youth with subliminal demonic information which compels them to dress up like Marilyn Manson and take a bat to the neighbor's dog? :D

Originally posted by AcrylicGuitar

Dont get it. Just plain get a Radeon 9700 Pro, it should be coming down in price soon. I have it. :) it rocks so much. :)

He aint kidding, it kicks ass :)

getting only 30-40 with those specs really surprises me, imo you should maybe wait a little longer til the prices drop and then pick up a brill graphics card (9700 :p) at the moment for a decent price compared to what they're trying to charge you for this now. Also, A geforce 4 "MX" is not reccomended because imo it's pretty near the quality of your currect card :)

I feel so special.... I get 30-40 FPS too, only I have a P3 600 Mhz and TNT RIVA Nivida and I have all the settings at their lowest levels lol....

Anyway, yes, you will get a big boast in preformance. One thing you might want to do in addition to your upgrade is to get more ram. 256 is a bit on the minimun, especially if your running XP.

Note, I also saw a Geforce FX 5200 going for around $100 at CompUSA. Wierd...I thought they were like the newest cards around (except Radeon 9800).

Do yourself a favor and don't get anything FX. Anyway, the card your talking about is the low end version of the FX,

See: companys triy to trick people by naming their cards similarly :p

• 3 weeks later...

depends on what your specs are

Ahem, for like the 15th time....

Intel P4 3.06 Ghz

512 MB RD RAM

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

200 Gig HDD

Anything else you need to know, I'll tell ya. :)

holy crap! yeah that might do it....what about a Radeon 9500 64mb? would that be a bigger upgrade than a GeForce4 Ti4200?

No. Go for the 4200 in that case. But I still reccomend the 9700 pro. It will go down in price soon, if it hasnt already.

GGo For the 4800. I did after having the 4200... 4200 was giving me roughly 60-70 FPS but the 4800 is most places is 90-160 (cept for major fights, it drops to 60 or so...) My specs are

AMD 1900

768 Mb PC-2700

Gainward Gold Series GeForce4 4800 SE

Got it for $130

Bleh,I'll wait till my birthday(october 29th) to get a Radeon 9800 for 100 or so bucks. ^^

Although,the only problem with a Radeon is that not many companies support it, so most probably I'll get a good geforce(50 frame rate compared to 80 really doesnt make a difference..especially since 50 is about how high your eye can respond).

So in short, swap out the GeForce2 for a 64 mb video card, and that will be a modest upgrade.

A 128mb card would be nice of course, but it depends on your budget.

It looks like the specs for Star Wars Galaxies are much higher than those of JA anyway, so it all depends on what new games you're interested in...

As far as I'm concerned, the minimum for a game is a steady 30-40 FPS with 1024x768 res (I have a 19 inch monitor). Anything else is just icing on the cake. We all would like to max every setting out, but that's pretty expensive, just to up the resolution one more notch or gain 5 more FPS I agree.

Me, I plan to get a Radeon AllinWonder Pro one of these days, but money is a little tight, so I don't have a whole lot of choices.

I'm no hardware expert, but it usually is true that the most expensive product on the market is only marginally better than the second most expensive competitor (note the AMD's vs. Intel's and other such stuff). Video cards are so danged expensive. But if you're swimming in money, get the best thing if you want it. It will just become obsolete in a year anyway.

You should really consider adding some RAM. 256 megs just doesn't cut it.

If you upgrade your video card you will get a boost in performance, but you're still going to have a bottleneck because of your lack of RAM.

I usually tell my gaming customers that they should prioritize in this order.

RAM

Video Card

CPU

Archived