Home

Long Lost Television

Darth Groovy

Yes, there was a time where we had no Buffy, we had no Babylon 5, we didn't even have Star Trek TNG. No, we had re-runs, and a few shows that we clung too. I take you back to the 80's my time as a child. There were many Sci-Fi series that would amaze us enough with an occasional colored light emitting from a model on wire space craft, and that was good enough. We had "Buck Rogers", we had "Battlestar Galactica", but then there were those like me, that got older and wiser and wanted more, we wanted a new Twilight Zone. There was a time where I finally found that solice in a show called "Friday The 13th, The Series".

No, this show had nothing to do with Jason Vorhees, thankfully. No, this show was about a man named: Lewis Vendredi, an antique dealer that sold cursed antiques in exchange for his soul and a high place in hell, should one exist. Ultimately it claimed his life and soul and various good were scattered throughout the globe. Jack Marshak, a distant cousin learne of this, and employed a small team of helpers including Micki Foster, and Ryan Dallion. Their mission was simple, recover the sold items, and lock them in a vault so that evil may never be released. Many of these items had supernatural powers which made for alot of killer episodes. By the time I got to high school this show had become history, but I have to say I enjoyed most of them, and still watch them when I can on the Sci-Fi channel.

This thread is designed for you to post your favorite long lost shows. Tell us what the name, what they are about, and why you loved them. I have others, but I want to hear from my fellow Swampies first.:cool:

Ah....long lost TV. Cast your mind back through the mists of time...no further than that...no, keep going. That's it..we've arrived in the early 70's on UK TV. :D

The series I followed the most were...

Doctor Who...about a sort of renegade Timelord who travelled around in time and space in a thing called the TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimensions In Space), having all kinds of adventures. Yes, the effects were ropy, some of the acting cheesy...but when you're 5 years old, it scares the crap out of you. :D Look here for further information. ;)

U.F.O....about a secret organisation (S.H.A.D.O.) battling alien invaders, with Ed Bishop as the inimitable Commander Straker. Sometimes the plot was hard to follow, but there were some cool vehicles (for the time), and who can resist women in mini-skirts sporting purple hair? :D You can find more information here.

Star Trek...the re-runs of the original series were shown in the early 70's, and I don't think I missed an episode. Nuff said.

Captain Scarlet And The Mysterons...in my view the best puppet series ever produced from Gerry Anderson and co. I never missed an episode of that, either. :D Go here for further information. S.I.G.! (Spectrum Is Green) ;)

bigcaptain.gif

Flash Gordon...yes, I mean the re-runs of the original black and white series starring Buster Crabbe, which I watched as a kid. I was rivetted every episode... :D

I could also mention things like Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, and Land Of The Giants...or maybe even The Time Tunnel...all of which made their way onto British TV screens. :)

And I'll give mention to the wealth of SF movies that used to be shown quite regularly when I was a kid...films like Forbidden Planet, This Island Earth, War Of The Worlds, The Time Machine, When Worlds Collide, The Andromeda Strain, The Day The Earth Stood Still, The Day The Earth Caught Fire and many, many more, which made me into an instant SF fan. :)

Originally posted by jokemaster

Giligan's Island

Get Smart

Anyone know what channel still airs them?

Those can still be seen occasionally on Nick-at-Night, or on TV Land..............they show the best of the old shows!

My favorite oldies are the old gameshows, Let's make a deal, Match game, Press Your Luck.......oh yeah.

My goodness, I thought I was the only forumer that watched Match Game :p

One of my favorite old shows HAS to be the Andy Griffith show. I mean, it was hilarious, and it still is. In case you have never seen it, the show is about a small town sheriff and his gung-ho yet cowardly deputy.

Funny stuff, that show. I watch it on TV Land all the time.

Originally posted by obi-wan13

My goodness, I thought I was the only forumer that watched Match Game :p

One of my favorite old shows HAS to be the Andy Griffith show. I mean, it was hilarious, and it still is. In case you have never seen it, the show is about a small town sheriff and his gung-ho yet cowardly deputy.

Funny stuff, that show. I watch it on TV Land all the time.

My mom loves taht show.... *shudder* :p

I give you "Night Gallery", by Rod Serling, the creator and host of The original Twilight Zone. This guy, if you are not familiar:

twilight.gif

Only "Night Gallery" was far more macabe. I remember one particular episode that involved a painting that a man made. The painting depicted his house and a near bye grave yard. In the painting, this figure rose from a grave, and each time he looked at the painting, the figure was closer and closer too his house. Finally he hears a knock on his door. That episode gave me some bad nightmares when I was a kid.

"Kolchak: The Night Stalker" was made in the '70s and was the direct inspiration for Chris Carter's "X-Files"

Darren McGavin played a reporter who chose to chase down the supernatural, and usually found what he was looking for, but usually failed to deliver evidence to his editor because of some mishap or another. In many ways it was like the "X-Files", only more humorous. If you get a chance to ever check out an episode, I highly recomend it. And also, there is a movie out there on video somewhere which was the pilot for the program.

cast.jpg

i was thinkin about makin such thread, but when i entered the swamp i saw yours. must be something telekinetic.

* tries to read groovy´s mind again *

Groovy, ya filthy dog :disaprove:

:p:D

there were a lot of show i watched when i was a kid, but most were belgian or dutch. a show i found very good was the freggles (text in dutch) which was about some little ppl livin in a cave (freggles) who had all kinds of adventures.

another great show marked in my childish memory, was the thundercats. probably some of you will know it.

there are quite some good shows aswell, but it would be tiring to post em all. ;)

Originally posted by StormHammer

Doctor Who...about a sort of renegade Timelord who travelled around in time and space in a thing called the TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimensions In Space), having all kinds of adventures. Yes, the effects were ropy, some of the acting cheesy...but when you're 5 years old, it scares the crap out of you. :D Look here for further information. ;)

I loved Doctor Who. When I was little, I used to watch it with my brothers all the time. I wasn't a diehard fan like them, but it was still quality viewing:DThey had all these horribly badly acted villains it was hilarious, though Doctor Who himself was the man:thumbsup:I'll never forget that beginning theme music either. I remember such cheesy episodes as "Attack of the Cybermen" and "Pyramids of Mars", and who can forget the Daleks and their world famous "Exterminate!" line?:DClassic.

Originally posted by Sivy B

knight rider

a-team

air wolf

how could i forget those shows, the were awesome. the talkin with movin red light car, the chopper that had it all and offcourse the ateam gang with all their crazy ideas and stuff the made and most important, noone ever got killed in that show. ;)

btw, when i was about 16-17 i watched "heartbreak high". did any off you guys see that show aswell, or am i the only one who watched it and tought it was a good show?

Originally posted by AcrylicGuitar

I remember that! I'm glad me you and Matt are the same age. Anyone remember Gulla Gulla Island and Allegra's Window????

Holy crap, you dragged those out of the garbage. I'd totally forgot about them. I love Gulla Gulla.

Originally posted by Darklighter

I loved Doctor Who. When I was little, I used to watch it with my brothers all the time. I wasn't a diehard fan like them, but it was still quality viewing:DThey had all these horribly badly acted villains it was hilarious, though Doctor Who himself was the man:thumbsup:I'll never forget that beginning theme music either. I remember such cheesy episodes as "Attack of the Cybermen" and "Pyramids of Mars", and who can forget the Daleks and their world famous "Exterminate!" line?:DClassic.

Good to see another Brit who knows what the hell I'm talking about. :D Who was your favourite Doctor? Mine was Tom Baker. ;)

Do you remember any of these...also from my childhood...

The Six Million Dollar Man - We have the technology. We can rebuild him...with Lego. :D

Sapphire And Steel - now for anyone who hasn't seen this...it's pretty damned scary watching it when you're a kid. It didn't make a whole lot of sense...but it was good weird TV.

The Invisible Man - anyone remember this series starring David McCallum? I used to watch it all the time.

The Incredible Hulk - Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. :D

I mean, come on, us Brits used to get a lot of the US imports. :D

A homegrown serial that was very good, IMHO...but that no one else seems to remember at all...was The Nightmare Man. Homegrown Brit SF horror-thriller at it's best.

Another Brit SF series as The Survivors, which was also very good. It was about a world-wide plague that wipes out most of humankind, and the Survivors had to try and stay alive in the aftermath.

And who can forget the Amazingly Amazing...Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy series? I'll have a double Pan-Galactic Gargle-blaster, if you please. ;)

Well considering that I am not to old. I will share some of my oldies

• Flash Gordon
  • Happy Days
  • Law & Order (Original Series)
  • Andy Griffith Show
  • Star Search (original Series)

there are more good shoes like lash Gordon from the fiftees but I cant remember the names o well:(

Archived