Home

Movie Cliches

Darth Groovy

Originally posted by Nitro

That's actually a skill. Anyone can do it with a lot of practice, and a properly weighted knife.

I think it'd be great to see a movie where the bad guy throws a knife at the hero and the handle part hits him in the chest.........sounds like something you'd see in Austin Powers......

Originally posted by Darth Eggplant

there are billions of people

and just as many cell phones

and yet even in modern films like the matrix

telephone numbers always start 555

they all start with 555 because 555 does not exist, they dont want people calling the "stars" numbers now do they? try calling ANY number with 555. you will get nothing. that is why all numbers in all movies start with 555

Originally posted by iceman87

they all start with 555 because 555 does not exist, they dont want people calling the "stars" numbers now do they? try calling ANY number with 555. you will get nothing. that is why all numbers in all movies start with 555

Ah... well that just sucks :mad: I'd rather have them saying a phone number minus 1 digit...

In horror movies, the leader of the crew/team/squad/random gang of idiots, always thinks it is a good idea for the team to split up and look for the monster. This allows for a good 50 minutes of film to be spent looking around doors, and checking empty rooms until they are picked off one by one.

Originally posted by Father Torque

Plain and simple

The Black Guy Always Dies First.

Its true, in like every movie ive seen wheter it be action or horror, the black guy always dies first

That's something all the black people in bad movies with some 'humor' in it say, but that isn't true. It seems though, that a lot of directors want to put black characters in their movie who whine 24/7 about 'OMG the black guy allways dies first, bro' :rolleyes:

I think it would be better for equality's (sp?) sake, that directors wouldn't picture all black characters as stereotypes (is this an English word), but instead as normal ppl. Especially in action comedies, the black guy is allways afraid to die, has **** for brains and whines against the main (white) character :rolleyes:

That's actually a skill. Anyone can do it with a lot of practice, and a properly weighted knife.

Yes, I would know. My point, however, is that Holllywood manages to make absolutely rediculous exagerations of this skill.

For example in the Punisher at the very end of the movie an evil woman has the mob boss' son at gun point and everything's at a stand still. Suddenly the Punisher comes ripping throught the Japanese paper walls (literally leaping horizontally), totally off balance, and throws a massive knife at her that not only hit it's mark perfectly, but also goes six inches into her skull! LMAO! Do you realize how much force it would take to do that. I doubt that even the strongest and most accuraute knife thrower could do that. :p:D

OH I have one more to add

21) Any hero with a chainsaw for a hand is bad ass!

In all 80's movies, there is always a time passing scene that plays out like a rock video. Parties are not planned, they just break out in the weirdest of places. The bad guy is always a pompous jock jerk with more bad puns and one liners than a Charlie's Angels film. Oh yeah, and there is always the one freind that has a stupid hat or a freaky hair cut.

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

In all 80's movies, there is always a time passing scene that plays out like a rock video. Parties are not planned, they just break out in the weirdest of places. The bad guy is always a pompous jock jerk with more bad puns and one liners than a Charlie's Angels film. Oh yeah, and there is always the one freind that has a stupid hat or a freaky hair cut.

I think you just summed up the first half of my life, lmao!

Also in the 80's: Most of the time the most important thing in life was to dance. Forget saving the world, if you didn't know how to moon walk and do the robot, you're a total dweeb!

Karate kid and Back to the future, need I say more :D

In the the final fight scene, the good guy will dominate, then get his ass handed to him, and when all seems lost, rally and demolish the competition.

This was only ever effective in The Matrix. My opinion, anyway. ^_^

Originally posted by -=Chi3f=-

16) Radiation causes mutation not to your future children, but to you, there and then. Mutation is never immediately fatal, but first either makes you into a formless blob, or a functional creature with animal-like features. X-men in a nutshell

Actually, X-Men is the exception to that rule. In that 'verse, you have to be born with the mutation to have the unusual traits ;)

Originally posted by -=Chi3f=-

20) Stripping to the waist makes the hero invulnerable.

Yup. Isn't it great? :D

Originally posted by Father Torque

Plain and simple

The Black Guy Always Dies First.

Its true, in like every movie ive seen wheter it be action or horror, the black guy always dies first

Actually, I haven't seen a movie in a long time in which that happens. (I don't watch horror, but I can speak for action ^^)

Minorities such as Native Americans or Asians will always have some sort of mystical knowledge or inate fighting skill. For example, the Native American always knows the course of events to come from some sign in nature, and Asians are all born with Martial Arts skills they can use to battle the bad guys.

I could also mention that I've seen exactly one exception to that rule (for Asians), and it's a character from The Matrix Reloaded - Ghost. Go Matrix. :)

As for 555: Anyone hear what happened with Bruce Almighty, when they didn't make God's phone number a 555 one? ;)

1:- all cars have an infinite amount of gears for continual downshifting while in the middle of a chase.

2:- good guys always throw their gun away so they can kill the main bad guy with their bear hands.

3:- everyone knows how to hot wire a car

4:- nobody wears a seatbelt in car chases yet when they crash they emerge unscathed.

5:- fat people are always jolly and wear hawaiin shirts :confused:

6:- All doors can be kicked down

7:- bad guys are always english or german

I wanted to get them all in one thread. I dearly love movies, but there are always patterns.

Ever notice in a horror movie, the protagonist always looses the keys, or the car will not start when being persued by the main spook?

I guess they always get nervous while being persued by a person whos sole purpose in life is to kill you. But then again that truly IS silly.

Ever notice that in horror, or event movies, the African American is always the comic relief?

Because black people are allowed to make fun of white people, but if a white person were to make fun of a black person in a similar manner hed get booed for being "racist"

Ever notice in action movies, the cops always arive when the action is over?

yep

Another horror movie classic, especially in slasher flicks, the first couple that have sex, are the first to get hacked in two?

cause their usually the loudest people in the area:D

In action movies:

Hero's never run out of ammo, but if they do, they never chamber a round. If they do run out, they always run out at the worst possible time, like when they're surrounded by ninjas or something.

(Example from the movie Stargate):

4 soldiers, 4 automatic weapons, 6 gun cockings before a single one is fired. And, the black guy is the only one that gets killed during the initial gun fight. Why? 'Cause he's the anti-stereotypical black man.

Originally posted by Azrael

In action movies:

Hero's never run out of ammo, but if they do, they never chamber a round. If they do run out, they always run out at the worst possible time, like when they're surrounded by ninjas or something.

(Example from the movie Stargate):

4 soldiers, 4 automatic weapons, 6 gun cockings before a single one is fired. And, the black guy is the only one that gets killed during the initial gun fight. Why? 'Cause he's the anti-stereotypical black man.

haha, i have something that supports the 4 guns but 6 cockings, kind of, in episode 1 when obi-wan and qui-gon are in the meeting room when they first ignite their lightsabers, you can hear 3 lightsaber noises instead of just 2, anyone else notice this?

Much like Dr. Evil points out -

The Bads guy captures the hero, They sometimes eat and have a conversation, isntead of jsut killing them they put them in an easily escapable death machine/warrior situation and assume it all jsut goes to plan.

After the bad guy dies, The building blows has a timer on it until it blows up and the hero excapes in time.

The Woman in the film is always a chick.

If the Hero has got the bad guy in a bad situation (knocked out or something) They never check to see who it is (if it's a masked villain), steal his gun, kill him or call the police.

Dogs always bark at the bad guy

Computer people don't wear specs.

In certain movies, guns are held sideways all the way through.

A teenager's room always has lots of posters

Space explosions always make a band

I notice, only in lower budget films, Guns have infinite ammo!!!

And in most action films, no matter how many bullets are fired at the good guy none hit them, maybe one or two. But they are fine 5 mins later. There is a film where the good guy was in hospital after, me thinks tho.

E.g. The Matrix Lobby Scene!

And the Matrix Reloaded Chateu Scene!!!

(That Last one was a joke)

• 3 weeks later...

In all horror/scary movies, if somebody goes into the bathroom and looks in the mirror on the medicine cabinet, as soon as he opens it, expect the reflection of something creepy, when he closes it. They do it in every scary movie there is, unfortunately, it always works... even if you are ready for it.

- The villain never suspects the hero to be wearing a bulletproof vest.

- The hero, or one of his friends, will always slowly approach and kneel down at the villain when they think him dead after he has been shot, fallen from a great height or hit by a car, etc. even if:

a) They have seen the villain survive much greater damage to his person earlier in the movie or

b) The hero has a full clip in his gun and could easily empty it into the villain's skull from 8' away.

- Time always extends in favour of dialogue.

Oh man, I laughed I cried, I felt pain in my sides, there was this site that had tons of movie/tv cliches (it seems that tv and tv movies have the worst ones), I forget the exact address, it was like moviecliches or movie-cliches.net or .com (you can probably find it in a quick search).

Disorganized site, but lots of funny ones.

My favorite (and I noticed this long ago), the "caught" cliche. This one is big in soap opera's, but I've seen it in countless other tv movies and even some theatrical movies, I swear...

THE SCENARIO:

Guy character's fiance/wife/girlfriend walks in to discover him in bed with another woman.

The fiance/wife/girlfriend is of course shocked/angry/horrified and either says his name or starts to slowly stalk out of the room.

The guy then ALWAYS leaps out of bed, and with the sheet around him or starts to pull his pants on and says to her "Wait, I can EXPLAIN" and she says "You don't have to explain anything to me!"

Or he says "It's not what it looks like!" and she says nothing or huffs and leaves, while he staggers after her. The woman he's cheating with always just stays in bed and says nothing, and covers up.

I always wondered what would happen if the cheated on woman took him up on his offer to "Explain." What would the guy possibly say??

"Ummm.. uh... we were playing doctor? Huh..."

Originally posted by Kurgan

I always wondered what would happen if the cheated on woman took him up on his offer to "Explain." What would the guy possibly say??

"She lost her ring in the bed, then the sharp bed posts in the corner ripped off our clothes and we were trying to hide from the neighbors who could see from the open window?"

Archived