Home

lightsabers in multi same as 1.04?

mtrixman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emon, don't go on that thing that's out on the internet right now (if you know what I mean) on the saber damage issue. Because the same thing happened with the version of Jedi Outcast that was in the same thing out on the internet right now (if you know what I mean). :p

Originally posted by Mr.Joshua

Emon, don't go on that thing that's out on the internet right now (if you know what I mean) on the saber damage issue. Because the same thing happened with the version of Jedi Outcast that was in the same thing out on the internet right now (if you know what I mean). :p

Wow ... the inuendos there got my head spinning ... but I think I followed ...

Something like: Warez-y dotes and betas-y dotes and little spam-sy piracy?

Mike

I liked the quick kills in 1.02, I saber damage kills around as fast as 1.02. As for backstabs etc... well, those were all bugs anyway. Although they really nerfed backstab, it had basically no purpose after they nerfed the damage, IMO they should have kept the high dmg but just made it "lock," like it was supposed to.

This is what I think they should do (I have a feeling they won't, but oh well):

Make an option:

(checkbox in multiplayer admin panel)

Saber Damage: [ ]Classic [ x ]Hardcore

"Classic" would be the 1.04 style, "weak" sabers for long drawn out duels. The "Hardcore" option would be 1.02 style, with "cheap" moves and high damage, for games like CTF so it can be useful alongside other weapons and have quick kills, etc.

Unreal and Unreal Tournament had similar options (and other neat stuff like mutators), and isn't it possible to already do this in Jedi Outcast with various console commands?

This would just make it easier for admins to do, and would cut down on some of the whining and complaining (from both sides.. the duel fanatics and the CTF junkies).

Originally posted by Kurgan

Saber Damage: [ ]Classic [ x ]Hardcore

Just set g_saberDamageScale to 2 or 3. In any case, Emon is right, it's not like either of them, Rich Whitehouse and I worked to make MP saber combat just like SP saber combat in JA, so everyone should be pleased, I think.

that's cool as can be.

I never really got around to playing sp in jk2 but recently I tried it out.

don't get me wrong, it's nice and all but it did take a lot of getting used to after a year and a half of mp only.

making sp/mp the same is going to help a lot of people who do the sp game first then venture into mp a lot more comfortable in their first few weeks as well.

Boy am I glad to hear that. :) This has been one of my major concerns about JA. I think that, after JO, server admins will hopefully be a bit more savvy about implementing variables like the sabre damage one, which could make the game a LOT more fun. If you're running a CTF server (and even if you aren't) definitely set the damage up high.

One question I've got though is what will the blocking be like and will that have a similar variable that can be tweaked? It might be that for duels, we like high damage but high blocking also, whereas the blocking isn't as important for CTF.

Originally posted by taekwondo joe

i like the fact they said they would make the sabers in mp and sp the same, why on earth did they ever make diff anyways, does not make sence to me

Yes, I agree. It is interesting that the moves are basically the same, but the feel of combat is very different.

That caused some problems for me as a primarily [sP] person having to adjust, but the changes in JA should level the field somewhat.

Mike

Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]

Just set g_saberDamageScale to 2 or 3. In any case, Emon is right, it's not like either of them, Rich Whitehouse and I worked to make MP saber combat just like SP saber combat in JA, so everyone should be pleased, I think.

Why is it that every time Mike visits these boards, whatever he has to say ends up making me happy? :D This sounds great...

I always thought that it was funny how much complaining there was about nerfed sabers when the ability to change it was sitting there all the time.

Originally posted by Prime

Why is it that every time Mike visits these boards, whatever he has to say ends up making me happy? :D This sounds great...

I always thought that it was funny how much complaining there was about nerfed sabers when the ability to change it was sitting there all the time.

So true ... we have these long discussions full of speculation and he walks in and sets us straight ... very refreshing ...

Mike

I can understand that raven nerfed the lightsaber to draw out lightsaber battles but that should have been for duels only. For the other modes they shoulda kept the damage the same allowing players to get quick kills. In a CTF game a 3 minute lightsaber battle wont help when getting the flag so it leads to gun whores and force users. This is why i quit the game back in september even though i still long to play it :(

Originally posted by mtrixman

I can understand that raven nerfed the lightsaber to draw out lightsaber battles but that should have been for duels only. For the other modes they shoulda kept the damage the same allowing players to get quick kills. In a CTF game a 3 minute lightsaber battle wont help when getting the flag so it leads to gun whores and force users. This is why i quit the game back in september even though i still long to play it :(

I've never played CTF ... no, really ... never. But anyway, the idea of having different balancing for different game modes is very interesting. I wonder if they did anything like that ...? (not that I want a beta-pirate to come in and tell-all, I'm just wondering ...)

Mike

Yeah, very late we realized that the saber battles, while cool and dramatic and drawn out in Duel, were just impractical in FFA and CTF since there's no reason to stand there and fight someone for 3 minutes. Especially since someone else will just come along and blow the both of you away with a rocket. So we have, in fact, increased the saber damage in non-Duel modes to make saber combat faster-paced in the faster-paced game modes.

Yeah, very late we realized that the saber battles, while cool and dramatic and drawn out in Duel, were just impractical in FFA and CTF since there's no reason to stand there and fight someone for 3 minutes. Especially since someone else will just come along and blow the both of you away with a rocket. So we have, in fact, increased the saber damage in non-Duel modes to make saber combat faster-paced in the faster-paced game modes.

<3

Prime did such a good job last time ...

Why is it that every time Mike visits these boards, whatever he has to say ends up making me happy? This sounds great...

Thanks again for that info!

Mike

Archived