Home

Viva la Revolution!

BooJaka

All three of them!

That is, Lure of the Temptress (which is free, here) Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars and Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror, both of which are out (in the UK) on mainstream re-release for £5 each :D

The 2 Broken Sword games are both better than Beneath a Steel Sky, and Lure of the Temptress is about the same as it but with less good graphics. Broken Sword 1 is my favourite revolution game, anyway :)

All Revs games do indeed rock, although Lure possibly less so. Broken Sword 1 and 2 are both outrageously well-written adventure games, but I do enjoy BASS's cyber-punky atmosphere!

BS 1 and 2 can be bought from Fry's (at least where I live) on the same Sold Out label (imported from the UK).

(Ever noticed that LucasArts copied Rev's Broken Sword graphical style for CMI? Hmmm!)

Viva La Revolution!

(Ever noticed that LucasArts copied Rev's Broken Sword graphical style for CMI? Hmmm!)[/b]

CMI's background style was definitely a continuation of MI2, something Steve Purcell confirms in an interview over at LucasFans. Read that and our Bill Tiller interview for more about what inspired CMI whenever we're back up again. :¬:

As for the characters, they're different too, CMI using an exaggerated cartoon style, with BS being very similar to Don Bluth.

At this year's Games Convention I had the chance to play Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon.

The whole experience had a major drawback however: no sound. Since there were no subtitles neither it was a little hard to guess what was going on.

I played a scene in which Nico has to go through a time-critical action sequence in which she has to disarm a bad gal with a revolver using first a pan and then a fridge door. It's something we know from the first games so I'm not too worried that it will be too much action and too little adventure (that's confirmed in various interviews with the designers). After that Nico fled the house using the fire escape.

The graphics are nice and detailed. It was fun visiting Nico's appartment and recognising all the stuff that we knew from the 2D days and then turning around and looking at all the rest of the room! The character will look at interesting objects (like Manny and 3D Guybrush) and there is also a sparkle that gives such objects the attention they need. The PlayStation version I played had a maximum of 4 actions for an object and they fit context.

I'm confident that the game will rock!

release date perplexities:

THQ.de: 2003-10-10

revgames.com: 2003-10-10

Amazon.de: 2003-10-10

THQ.co.uk: 2003-10-24

play.com: 2003-10-03

Amazon.co.uk: 2003-11-07

Amazon.com: 2003-11-17

Yeah, I'm quite confident that BS3 will deliver. And it's also coming to Xbox, so I'm all happy.

As for the other Rev-games, I guess BS1 is my favourite. BS2 is one notch below, but still good. BASS is great, the cyberpunk theme is indeed cool. A bit too short maybe. As for Lure, I've never really liked it. The interface is frustrating and the story doesn't actually blow me away. Never bothered playing through it.

1 and 2 can be bought from sold out for £4.99 here in england and in my local game stores, if you buy one, you get the other free. so that means, pay £4.99 and get both games, which isn't too bad at all.

but yeah, bothv are great games. Never played Lure (although it's nice to see that revelutions knows whene they're not going to make money out of a game anymore and put it up for abandonware, oh how I wicsh i could play loom and old indies.)

As for the characters, they're different too, CMI using an exaggerated cartoon style, with BS being very similar to Don Bluth.

????

I was talking technically! Lol!

They both use the same 2D/cartoonyish anti-aliased character animated in the TRADITIONAL style and hand drawn backgrounds.

Totally different from MI1/2, The Dig, Full Throttle, GF etc.

They were clearly 'inspired' by something! :)

~ John

Originally posted by ThunderPeel2001

????

I was talking technically! Lol!

They both use the same 2D/cartoonyish anti-aliased character animated in the TRADITIONAL style and hand drawn backgrounds.

Ok...

CMI did not have anti-aliased characters, and while they both were cartoony they were of two completely styles. Hand drawn backgrounds were also used in MI2. Thus saying that LEC "copied Rev's Broken Sword graphical style for CMI" is incorrect.

In order of preference:

Broken Sword 1

Beneath A Steel Sky

Broken Sword 2

Lure of the Temptress

Was anyone else a little disappointed in Broken Sword 2? I don't think it's bad, but it seems like there are some large gaps in narrative (how did George go from getting the treasure at the beach to being captured at the pyramid?) and the ending is not that great.

In answer to your question pebsmith,

After george found the treasure, he probably went back to the village to tell the shaman person, which is what we (Nico) found burning. So supposedly, someone either followed him there or was already there (getting the pyramid ready and all), burned the village to get no interferance from the villagers and kidnapper george to sacrifice him. That's of course a theory, but it helped me sleep at night.

But I agree, it didn't really live up to BS1 but was still a great game.

Where am I wrong? Saying CMI doesn't have anti-aliased characters? It doesn't. That MI2 had handdrawn backgrounds? Completely true. They might both be cartoony and animated in "traditional style", but saying that LEC "copied Rev's Broken Sword graphical style for CMI" is in-correct. Full Throttle had all of those aspects too, but still has a different style than CMI and Broken Sword.

Edit - Anyway, this is off topic, so I'm butting out of the discussion for now.

• 4 weeks later...

Broken Sword 1 was great! I loved it. Lure of the Temptress was the most awful piece of trash I've ever played, besides Curse of Enchantia, which was just poop. Never played Broken Sword II, but BASS was awesome. BS1 was my favourite though.

As for CMI copying BS2 graphics... that's ridiculous. It's like saying BS2 copied of Disney, or BS1 copied off Monkey Island 1. Or BASS copied off Indiana Jones. It doesn't make any sense. They both had completely different art styles, CMI being a lot more Cartoonish. The backgrounds in CMI were a lot more exaggerated too. I don't understand what you mean by CMI copying from BS1, maybe I've misunderstood or something.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Yufster

As for CMI copying BS2 graphics... that's ridiculous. It's like saying BS2 copied of Disney, or BS1 copied off Monkey Island 1. Or BASS copied off Indiana Jones. It doesn't make any sense. They both had completely different art styles, CMI being a lot more Cartoonish. The backgrounds in CMI were a lot more exaggerated too. I don't understand what you mean by CMI copying from BS1, maybe I've misunderstood or something.

I only played a little bit of BASS but I think the background style is very similar to Space Quest 4

Originally posted by ThunderPeel2001

Ugh.

Just so everyone knows: I was talking TECHNICALLY. The specifics are undeniable (and you have to think back to before BS was released -- if any of you were born then :D)

~ John

I agree. The difference from Monkey 2 to CMI is quite evident. CMI is completely different, even talking about the main characters like Guybrush which is slimmest and dumbest too. This kind of graphic style has undoubtely been inspired by another game. (Was it BS2 or another game, I don't know.)

Technically, everyone can see by oneself's how the 'dark' ambience from Monkey 2 is changed into a more cartoonish style in pure Sam&Max or DOTT style. :mad:

• 4 years later...

Archived