I’ve started my MI run backwards from Tales and working my way to end with MI1. I’ve scribbled my notes for so far. I’ve finished Tales and EMI and I shared my general musings. I’ll share more as I continue onto Curse.
- so many good puzzles on Ep. 1, the getting onto the Narwhal and De Singe’s lab are the top ones
- was Davy Nipperkin axed in the later episodes due to public reaction to the character or because there was no use for him in the story?
- the audio jungle maze was always a miss for me, I can never get the cues correct.
- the Ep. 1 cliffhanger was such a fun time on the telltale forums, with everyone speculating if it was Kate or Carla. That was one of the best (or only) benefits of the episodic gaming, getting the community invested in a game long term (insert Half Life 3 joke).
- Ep. 2 does feel the most off out of all of them, human LeChuck is a delight.
- the face making contest in Ep 3 may be too silly, but it makes for a great insult swordfighting replacement, as is the duel in Ep. 5
- Ep. 4 is perfect.
- Ep. 5 is the only time besides MI2 that we get a proper final act in the series.
- the Crossroads/MI2 tunnels theme is a top 3 for me for the music).
- I like the artwork overall, it gives it a fun environment.
- Melee is sorely lacking from the predecessor, and is always a slow point in the game.
- the “cushy government jobs” is a prime example of punishing the player with a bait-and-switch solution. Having to look in a different angle of the room to find it is cruel.
- best VO cast out of the entire series. Nearly every top voice actor at the time was featured in this game.
- Mysts O Tyme runs way too long as a puzzle and the tank controls don’t help
- Jambalaya Island/Knuttin Atoll is the best section of this game.
- I love the idea of Planet Threepwood, referencing past adventures/memorabilia and the mythology of Guybrush threepwood, while nobody really believes that Guybrush is actually him. This and the Church of LeChuck make for fun dialogue.
- I actually found the Starbucks jokes funny in 2022, and I have to get my sense of humor checked out now.
- Miss Rivers is the absolute greatest.
- Monkey Island is… well they make a great case for wanting to escape from it.
- Church of LeChuck is hilarious, and the lava flume dialogue is so funny it makes up for the infuriating navigation of it so I can hear Guybrush singing.
- I’ve made peace with Monkey Kombat, the robot, H.T., but I stand by my claim that if Dante Alighieri wrote about Adventure Games, he would place this puzzle in the lowest circle of hell right next to the Grim Fandango signpost puzzle. 10x worse than Monkey Kombat.