Home

Are Katas Effective?

AzureAngel

Are katas Effective?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Are katas Effective?

• Yes
    • No

I only play SP, but I like using a kata in the middle of a fight... don't start with one, but jump in, do some linked swings, maybe a duck or a roll, then a kata...

usually, it gets the enemy, who was either about to attack me after a parry, or it forces him to go defensive, and if I have some force left over some lucky manipulation can knock him down for a killhit.

Like everything, it has some use... yeah they can leave you open... I would think very much in MP, even... but there would be something beneficial about them, as well. Just gotta use the right thing at the right time.

I find katas to be most useful in many situations, nice when paired with force pull or mindtrick.

W/ blue stance(fast) after you start your kata hold crouch and forward then attack to go strait into the uppercut, when timed right can be very effective.

The yellow stance(medium) kata for single is very nice as well because you actually take a few step covering more space.

The red stance(strong) kata is handy, as well as doing the most damage of the three.

Right after your katas(or even during them) hold to either side and jump to cartwheel right out of kata.

I Don't use staff and dual barrier is basically useless I think.

eniaC

I avoid using them because if you're opponents are concentrating on YOU, they can easily put you to a disadvantage.

When I notice a kata starting, I get out of there. And if it's the dual sabre kata, I get back in there with an overhand smash when it's 'winding down'.

I love it when that happens. Someone tries to do that kata in the middle of a group(and provided that the others are decent players) so everyone backs off, then all attack at about the same time. Then everyone is facing the exact same spot and starts slashing.

Anyway, I hate being held to the spot by a move. It just makes you....well...a sitting duck.

But they CAN be effective, especially with a bit of luck. Sometimes someone will start a kata whilst standing practically on me and won't do a thing, but sometimes the very edge of the sabre will catch me and I'm dead.

Yes, katas are effective, particularly in SP. The blue stance kata allows you to still run around (not in MP though), so it's good for charging an opponent that's not prepared for such an attack. Its use is a bit more limited in MP, but there's a few opportunities to use it. I've killed opponents in Duel using Strong kata a few times.

I only use the single saber, and in MP I find katas extremely useful, especially when timed right. They are great to use against an opponant that is overly aggressive. I usually do them just when a person runs up to you and starts to strike. Then, like a buzzsaw, I chop them down. But if you spam them, it leaves you open to attack. So I use them only when necessary.

They are useful in SP as well, especially to clear out a crowded area.

it appears that the single saber Katas are the most effective when used at the right moments

and do not spam them or else you will be open

this is what i have sumarized but please go on

I wouldn't say that. The staff kata can move you around a lot, so you're not an easy target.

But then I don't really know about that because I'm a single sabre kinda guy. :)

Originally posted by Remirol Nacnud

I wouldn't say that. The staff kata can move you around a lot, so you're not an easy target.

But then I don't really know about that because I'm a single sabre kinda guy. :)

I was only refering to single saber katas, becaue really that is what I have the most experience with :)

I agree with what you are saying about the staff kata. But the little I played with it I found it seemed to be harder to hit people, perhaps because I think you can see it coming a bit more. That is probably just me, though.

As I only use the saberstaff, I would have to say that Katas are an effective finishing move when the opponent is already beaten and showing desperate behaviour. They do leave one open to counter attack fairly easily. With the staff, though one does move quite a bit, it's in a predesignated direction that cannot be stopped once the move is committed. I've found the best time to use the staff Kata is when you sense that the opponent is going to charge - but not to soon, since it's easy to spot and avoid; and not to late, because the spin turns the back toward them and leaves one vulnerable to attack. Also, it is difficult to aim unless you try to anticipate where they are going to be instead of trying to hit where they actually are... that's it's best power.

I've played through SP on Jedi, Jedi Knight, and Jedi Master difficulties, and I found the katas relatively useless on Jedi Master, b/c the reborn would always kick me as I'm about to land the finishing blow. On the lower difficulty levels, its useful against the yellows and blue reborn but not particularly against the red ones. I watched my friend play MP but didn't think katas were of any use at all. BTW, I play SP with dualsabers so use of katas is mostly limited to the first two tiers. Even when I played SP with a single saber I didn't find myself using katas all that often.

Archived