Home

Star Wars Headed to DVD Sept. 21st

Boba Rhett

Originally posted by IG-64

but what is wrong with the greedo thing? It was what, 5 frames? Pfft. :rolleyes:

Nothing... nothing... all it did was merely DEFINE, FOR MILLIONS OF STAR WARS FANS, WHAT HAN SOLO WAS, "ALL ABOUT". :rolleyes:

It was AMAZINGLY important. PAINFULLY important. DIARRHEA INDUCINGLY important. But it's only, what, five frames right? So it doesn't matter, right? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Boba Rhett

Nothing... nothing... all it did was merely DEFINE, FOR MILLIONS OF STAR WARS FANS, WHAT HAN SOLO WAS, "ALL ABOUT". :rolleyes:

It was AMAZINGLY important. PAINFULLY important. DIARRHEA INDUCINGLY important. But it's only, what, five frames right? So it doesn't matter, right? :rolleyes:

I'm a massive Star Wars fan too, and I do think that people tend to over-react a tad towards the whole Greedo thing.

And people criticised me for over-reacting to the treatment of Faramir in the LOTR films.

Let's be honest here, Greedo shooting first doesn't ruin the movie - I mean, a few minutes later you've forgotten about it ;) Big fuss about nothing.

Originally posted by IG-64

!?!?!

I need to watch the non-SE versions.

the wampa(s) in echo base business in a deleted scene and was not in any released version of the film. As far as comparison to its original version, empire has the least additions, mainly just backdrop and cloud city made to look bigger and prettier... there is an extra tiny vader scene that seems to not use james earl jones voice, or it might just be me.... (?) All you'll get from watching the non SE editions are a long procession of effects seams that stick out like a sore a to the discerning eye of a modern viewer........and a different/shorter song in jabbas palace in ROTJ.

...I just think it's a case of ppl "having grown up" with the original editions and having become too attached to them perhaps. As far as Im concerned, if the creator/director can bring himself to change it than you should be able to live with it..... :p

nonetheless, its gonna be good to have the OT on DVD dammit.. YOU'RE ALL MEANT TO BE STAR WARS FANS, RIGHT.... YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY...!!!!....QUIT WHINING...YOU'RE ALL STARTING TO SOUND LIKE FREAKIN TREKKIES, OR NIT-PICKING TOLKIEN FANS... :D

And yes, Im sure there'll be some duper box set for after when epIII is released on DVD, who knows maybe 2007 to celebrate 30 years.....

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by The_One

I'm a massive Star Wars fan too, and I do think that people tend to over-react a tad towards the whole Greedo thing.

And people criticised me for over-reacting to the treatment of Faramir in the LOTR films.

Let's be honest here, Greedo shooting first doesn't ruin the movie - I mean, a few minutes later you've forgotten about it ;) Big fuss about nothing.

Faramir does have a better run in the TTT EE.....(Im sure he'll have a bit more time to redeem himself in ROTK EE as well)...

and yes, curious, and perhaps annoying as it may be, anyone who is still thinking about Greedo by the time the Battle of yavin IV starts, really needs to get their head sorted..... :p

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by Jared

like hell I'm not gonna buy it....who the hell cares?

its...star wars...on dvd.

I'm gonna buy it.

Amen to that. I mean its Star Wars People. You know you want it.

Originally posted by lotr-sam0711

I was wondering when the DVDs were coming out.

No comment about the big GL thing.

September 21 2004

*cherishes his VHS of the original, non-SE Empire Strikes Back*

Meh...this pisses me off.

Screw Greedo! DAMN HIM AND HIS PHONY FIRST SHOT!

originally posted by IG-64

As long as it's in letterbox, they cut out IG-88, dangit!:fist:

AMEN, BROTHER!!!

IG-88 was my absolute favorite bounty hunter when I was younger. When I saw ESB SE in theatres, I almost fell out of my seat in suprise blissful euphoria. A FULL TORSO SHOT of IG-88...up close...for longer than one second! I was elated! My father had to quiet me down because I was causing a disturbance with my celebratory comments: "Oh my gosh! Look! It's IG-88!!! It's IG-88!!!"

Later when I went over to a friend's house, I watched it again on video. For some reason, they cut IG-88 out of the film! I was fit to be tied, to say the least.:mad:

Originally posted by The Cheat

i wonder if they will have a commentary for each film. i think that would be the ultimate feature for these films.

Eps I and II have those, I dont see why the OTs shouldnt. That wouldve been half the hassle of doing it. Remastering the special editions(which have *already* had their audiotracks cleaned, all the colors corrected etc would be relatively easy(man, I could do it, seriously...) It is just assembling all the relevant ppl including older directors(hopefully Kershner does commentary for ESB !! :) ) to the the commentaries for the OT...

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by Neverhoodian

AMEN, BROTHER!!!

IG-88 was my absolute favorite bounty hunter when I was younger. When I saw ESB SE in theatres, I almost fell out of my seat in suprise blissful euphoria. A FULL TORSO SHOT of IG-88...up close...for longer than one second! I was elated! My father had to quiet me down because I was causing a disturbance with my celebratory comments: "Oh my gosh! Look! It's IG-88!!! It's IG-88!!!"

Later when I went over to a friend's house, I watched it again on video. For some reason, they cut IG-88 out of the film! I was fit to be tied, to say the least.:mad:

Hehe, I'm a huge IG-88 fan as well. *looks at name* Well, I guess you've gathered that already :p

I had the same reaction when I first saw it, exept I like to keep a large portion of my emotions to myself, so I had a nice big smile and a "woo hoo" :D

Originally posted by Alegis Gensan

..han isnt a criminal!

Han was a criminal. He was a smuggler for Jabba's criminal organization. The Rebel Alliance was a criminal organization as well. Why do you think they were always being hunted by the Empire? :p

Trilogy for DVD, eh? Finally the old man came around. ;)

Originally posted by Jed

*cherishes his VHS of the original, non-SE Empire Strikes Back*

*gives her original SW non-SE video box set a big hug*

It's wearing a bit thin now. The box is tattered and videos are starting to fade in quality. Mind you, I have had them since the day they were released. It would be so nice to have them on DVD. ='(

I'm sooo glad i bought these on VHS before all these silly Special Editions came out. I have those too of course, but i think i only watched them once and then returned to the proper ones.

Looking at the proper ones i can see a few falws i hoped would be fixed in the Special Editions (Namely boxes around the tie fighters and bad bluescreen ith the Rancor), but other than that i don't see why you should mess with classic films.

I can't think of a single item that was ADDED to the special editions that was worthwhile.

-Greedo shooting first comes off as stupid (han hardly shot him in cold blood, greedo missing by a foot from 3 feet away).

-The jabba scene (which i wanted to see) is pointless as it repeats most of the dialogue from the greedo scene, and it is really badly done.

-The bit where han chases stormtroopers until they realise there is only him is made silly by filling the room with stormtroopers.

-The rancor bluescreen still isn't fixed.

-The extra dance number just comes off as silly and inserted.

-The ending of ROTJ is slightly interesting (all the planets celebrating), but it (and the change to rubbish downbeat ethnic music) slows down the whole ending of the film.

Oh, I suppose i liked that the re-inserted biggs into the Yavin hanger. That was cool.

The main problem I have with the Special Editions is that the CGI looks terrible. It stands out like a sore thumb and not only looks fake in comparison to the models (which had a kind of gritty realism) but also makes the models look static in comparisson. Neither wins. The added creatures look like bad Jurasic Park rejects (like when the used to stick horns on a iguana and call it a dragon). The original special effects have stood the time amazingly well for a 27 year old film, whereas most CGi tends to date very rapidly.

There were a few scenes that i would like to see in a Special edition (Luke jumping to grate in rancor pit, vader choking imperial guards) but I would only like them as OPTIONS, not irreversiably inserted into a classic film. THe jabba scene isn't one of them.

Oh, and the rumoured additions like cgi duels and replacing anakin are really bad ideas. Not all directors cuts are better than the original, often there was a good reason why something was cut, or done the way it was. (See Alien, Aliens for worse (if interesting) special editions). Just clean up the flaws and leave it the hell alone... or release a Quadrilogy style pack with 2 versions of each.

These films wouldn't be the classics they are now if there was SO MUCH that needed changing...:(

Originally posted by leXX

*gives her original SW non-SE video box set a big hug*

It's wearing a bit thin now. The box is tattered and videos are starting to fade in quality. Mind you, I have had them since the day they were released. It would be so nice to have them on DVD. ='(

ME TOO! I love my videos...except mine are the first ever VHS releases still work good too.

Archived