Home

Star Wars Headed to DVD Sept. 21st

Boba Rhett

Why am I not in a giggling, mouth foaming, pants-melting fit of glee? Because old man Lucas is only releasing the special edition. DVD makes it easy to offer both the original and special edition of a movie but nooooooooooooo.

I can't believe it but I'm even thinking about not buying them.

Han shot first, dammit. *runs away crying*

Lucas has got to be one of the most unsung coporate villians... He ranks up there with Bill Gates, even though no one actually wants to say it.

I'm sure he'll release the original on DVD in a few years. God knows that they'll be versions out the wazoo so he can rake in more on his franchise.

Or whoever is in charge. I don't know. But there's a Suit that needs to be smacked.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!?!

I was hoping for a seven disc Alien Quadrilogy like set, where there is both the original and director's cut, plus an extra's DVD. ='( Why the hell won't he realease the originals again? Surely he realises that that is what all Star Wars fans want more than anything! This is so annoying.

I'll still buy them like a fool.

He's well aware what the fans want. Most fans have been begging him to release the originals too but he's being a stubborn mean old man about it. :/

And he comes off as so nice on video! :(

Err... hate DVDs? Why on EARTH would someone hate DVDs? :confused: Have you been drinking?

i got a feeling that the reason they aren't releasing the original ones is because they no longer have them.

one of the reasons they did the special editions is because the reels were in such a bad state they had to do something before they disintegrated. so they cleaned them up and added all GL's new stuff and the CGI. so where are the originals now then? my guess is there isn't any originals. thats why GL said the originals will never be released, cause he hasn't got them. :(

well apart from greedo shooting first and the jabba scene i really don't mind the special editions. i'm just glad they're releasing them period.

Originally posted by Datheus

Lucas has got to be one of the most unsung coporate villians... He ranks up there with Bill Gates, even though no one actually wants to say it.

I'm sure he'll release the original on DVD in a few years. God knows that they'll be versions out the wazoo so he can rake in more on his franchise.

Or whoever is in charge. I don't know. But there's a Suit that needs to be smacked.

I don't think that this is a greed issue - I don't see the Star Wars franchise thing (from the Lucas perspective, anyway) as a major greed issue. The whole Phantom Menace mega-hype ... it was unavoidable when you think about it, and everyone wanted on that bandwagon - you'd be a fool not to grab some cash from that.

I see GL as really making an effort to do good Star Wars films. Whether or not he is succeeding is pretty subjective - I personally felt the same thrills seeing AotC as a 36 year old with wife and two kids as I did seeing TESB as a 14 year old ... although the Vader revelation is legendary for a reason ... you really had to be there ...

As for the whole original vs. special edition thing - I don't think that the sales of a SW Trilogy set would be impacted 1% based on inclusion/exclusion of the Original copies. Most people get confused enough with the whole 'widescreen/fullscreen' thing ... having multiple versions of the film - one looking decidedly better visually than the other - would not necessarily be a good thing for many people. Now people here ... that's a different thing. I would be quite happy if they would release the originals as a 'buy through SW.com only' for 79.95 for the set - I'd be on it tomorrow. But I've been a Star Wars fan since I was an 11 year old kid in line seeing the original for about the dozenth time that year ...

Mike

You swampies seem to be touchy about this original versions business....

GL, whatever you may think of him, has said in NUMEROUS interviews, that the SEs match his true vision/original intentions for the OT. Thats why ANH has the most changes, because he was very limited in what he could do, tech wise.....

and I agree with Siv, apart from the Greedo thing, (which I view as the most trivial moral backflip in history), I dont mind the SEs at all.....

MTFBWYA

I bought the original on VHS back in 1996 or so, then I learned Lucas was going to make the Special Edition trilogy. I've been gypped numerous times by such Lucasfilms/Lucasarts ploys. I got the original X-Wing computer game only to have Lucasarts release the "special edition" with more ships and campaigns. Same thing happened with Tie Fighter and The Phantom Menace soundtrack.

I've become a little wiser (and a little more tight-fisted) now when it comes to buying Lucas' products. I now wait and see if some "special edition" is eventually released. Still, I have to admit the prospect of buying the DVD (since I don't own any copy of the SE) is tempting.

It's too bad the original version might go the way of the dinosaur. Still though, they aren't that different, and both versions have their strengths and weaknesses. (Han shooting first in OT compared to more hectic space battles in SE)

I don't know about you guys, but the thing that pisses me off most about lucas is how they operate their website. It makes me kinda sick that they charge for all the information they used to provide. Sure, it's probably smart business, but I didn't know you had to have money to be a star wars fan. :(

As far as the SE...I don't really mind much that the originals aren't coming out. I like some of the changes that were made, but I hope they remove some. Besides, GL wants the whole saga to be cohesive and having the SEs out there is critical to that.

Swoosh

I have never seen the original version of Star Wars :o

*Cringes and waits for large, heavy objects to come raining down on him*

I can see the jabba thing, yes it was terrible, but what is wrong with the greedo thing? It was what, 5 frames? Pfft. :rolleyes:

As for the DVD, woo hoo! Finally!

Originally posted by IG-64

but what is wrong with the greedo thing? It was what, 5 frames? Pfft. :rolleyes:

its what the original scene represented, its like in raiders of the lost ark where indy shoots the guy with the sword while he's showng off. its gives han an edge, a darkness to his character.

Originally posted by Siv

its what the original scene represented, its like in raiders of the lost ark where indy shoots the guy with the sword while he's showng off. its gives han an edge, a darkness to his character.

But greeo just proposed that he would kill han, doesn't matter to me either way. But the question still burns, why did he add that in the first place?

Further to what Siv said, I'm pretty sure they'll have a digital master of the originals lying around somewhere, the last time they released them on VHS was 95 after all. Uncle George telling you he's lost a license to print money is like telling your teacher you've forgotten your homework ;)

For those of you who crave the O-OT on DVD there is an option. Not that I'm advocating piracy (seriously) but the internet's largest online auction site has been known to have the odd copy of the original version Laserdisc rips on DVD for sale.

Sure, the quality's quite not your standard DVD quality, but hey - they're bootlegs after all.

On the plus side,

• You get the original OT on a non-degradable format.

• Luca$film don't get a penny out of it ;) (if they ain't gonna sell it, I don't see why they should make money out of it)

Like I said, piracy is a bad thing, but yeah I've got a copy. For my records... ahem.

The legal alternative is to buy a laser disc player :eyeraise:

Personally, I think that we'll get an archival box set package in the future with the originals on. But that's because I know what Lucas is like for re-releasing the same material. Hell, I've got most of em ;)

Originally posted by IG-64

But greeo just proposed that he would kill han, doesn't matter to me either way. But the question still burns, why did he add that in the first place?

George reckons that Greedo was always meant to shoot first, but the effect was missed out when they did it first time round.

I'm dubious about that myself, but the scene doesn't bother me either way - Greedo's a crap shot so he deserved to die.

:DB.

Archived