Home

What do want in JK4? ('Future of the Series' merged)

Tidus01

When Im talking about saber fighting and being able to control blocking Im thinking of a parry button you hit right before the attack falls. It would be a timing thing. As for offense I think that the red style needs to have faster strikes with a long time between attacks. Its silly how you look like you're swinging a sledge hammer in Red stance. Overall the animation speed of the saber moves would probably have to be slowed down to make it look a little more natural and let actual swordfighting take place.

As for having RPG elements in the next JK I think a morality scale like the one in KOTOR or the one in the original JK game would go a long way to making people feel like their actions really affect things in a much bigger sense. You should not be able to kill civilians or strike down a helpless enemy and not pay the consequences for it. But throwing in money and equipment buying and quests? That I don't like so much. I mean, your usually in unfriendly territory anyway so why include a feature you rarely use? Also I definetely agree vehicles need to included. I'd love to fly an Xwing or maybe the Raven's claw against some tie fighters. That kind of combat would just add to the level of immersion the game could have.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This game, while maybe not as bad an idea as some here have made it sound, doesn't appeal to me either. I'd like to see a merger between styles of SP games sometime in the future - but you can't try to mix SP and MP and get it to work very well. That's why they're separate games in the Jedi Knight series. This also doesn't sound like a JK-type game to me. What makes these games great (besides the storylines) is the way they play - FPS action games. ou can't get great storylines in MP and you can't get great ppl interaction w/real persons in SP. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Oh - and JediLiberator, that block stuff you're talking about. Have you been paying attention to OJP recently? B/c it's exactly what you're talking about, dude...

Master_Keralys, yea that's what OJP is doing, but their putting in a bunch of other stuff that I think is unecessary. Also I don't like it when a game requires mods like that to make it good. If the next JK game can't stand on its own two feet then I won't even buy it. If they even make that is. I was so mad after beating JA SP, it was SO pathetic. But that's another matter.

For the next game I want to really have some interactive saber fighting, throw in some space fighter combat(ala Rogue Squadron or starfighter), and a good storyline to back it up. Oh and like I said earlier, bring back the old JK morality scale for some RPG element.

What new stuff do you want to be there in JK4?

Here's my list-

More realistic gameplay

Levels to be less linear and console-type

A more bouncy and fun saber

Less enemy comparison (stormtrooper is too weak, rockettrooper is too strong etc.)

Less dual/staff opponents (how many such guys have you seen in the movies?)

A more definite way of conversion

Various sub-missions and sub-objectives

Lots more models, skins, vehicles and levels

New saber colours

A saber-type slider (to fine-tune your saber)

Side indicator (the force colour in the lower-right corner turns reddish if you are turning to the dark side)

A more realistic Force Sense

More importance to weapons

Lots more cool saber moves

Ability to change clothes (Can't Jedi have any fashion statement??")

Overtime change in looks (Faces broadens, moustaches/beard grows etc.)

5-10 Tiers

A better way to improve force powers

Bonus missions

Bonus stuff (like movies, music, BTS etc.)

Better menu

and lots, lots more....!

I'd like a longer development time so you get the feeling they are really working on something massive. They did IMHO a great job in limited time for JO and JA, I'd love to see what Raven could come up with given like two, two and a half full years.

No use about Raven giving what people wanted. When it was heard that staff and dual sabers would be avaliable in JK3, it was awaited with much anticipation. But nowadays, people are complaining about them, saying they're not 'balanced'. They even term the staff 'noobstick'. The less new things there are, the better. People will just find more things to whine about. My suggestion is, make the old things better.

I have to agree with Rhett on the dancing droids and Max! I also think that some elements from JK and MOTS should be tossed in: civilians running around in the cities etc. AI also needs to be improved and I would also like to see more movie like duels..But thats just me...

Look at the cover of jka, do you recognise a certain symbol??

Anyhoo, in jk3, I'd like a longer game (jk lasted for ages!),

geo-modding,

better physics,

more concentration on MP aspects (there were a lot of things that could have been added. I believe nasty people from Activision and LEC (whatever) made them rush it),

More advanced saber combos,

Better storyline,

Better characters and development (dessann and tavion are kinda weak),

more interesting levels,

more thought invloved,

cutscenes... better ones. A reward,

better darkside/temptation elements (bad force powers = darkside etc.)

BIGGER levels,

A big replayability factor (make the game remember that it has been played, different levels and characters... a lot of work but I'm positive it would make it a way better game and more replayability. Maybe RPGish so that it calculates which story branch to take depending on your behaviour and saber skills.

Lots of variety,

more realistic AI etc.

There's much more and more important but I'd like to keep those ideas to mehself ;),

More NPCs,

improved weapons.

I think JA's a great game but these would make the ultimate jk game imo :)

Actually, I think I'd settle for an engine where they really, really got the saber combat to film esque standards. Don't get me wrong, its good now, but if tactics came into play a lot more it would be great. It still has a little of a Q3, slightly random feel to it, good as it is, and you rarely see two people going toe to toe for 5 minutes ducking and sidestepping and such, ala the films.

In essence, I'd like a bit of a departure from current FPS standards rather than another FPS that happens to have the saber, which is how JA felt to me a little. It's good, but Raven can do better.

Totally off topic but LEC better not have cancelled Sam and Max 2...

No, JK:JA and JK3 are not one in the same, according to Raven Software and LucasArts. However, from an article I read back when JA was first announced, they did say that although they really did push the Quake3 Engine to its very max, they knew that JA would be the last of the Jedi Knight games to use the Q3TA Engine.

For me, I would love more of a Jedi-Space based missions, like in the Clone Wars Episode where Anakin led a space assault. And I wouldn't mind a MMORPG-like game where different jedi could explore the universe and meet up every now and then, isntead of being stuck on teh same mission together, so it would be liek Co-op online, but then not.

In fact, I wouldnt mind a prequel Jedi Knight game that takes place before DF. To have you be a jedi that finds out about the death star plans and relay the information to Mon Mothma who then hires Kyle Katarn. Definitely would be cool to see Kyle Katarn at some kind of meeting that takes place right when he launches to the Secret Base in Dark Forces:) The possibilities are endless. :)

But for me, I'd prefer to see enhanced graphics, more animations, and features like NPCs in maps, and tie in more movie-material into the games, like more characters and familiar settings from the OT. maybe tie in both post episode 3 stuff with the original trilogy.:)

I know this is purely wishlist material, so I'm not going to let a little thing like 'realism' hold me back.

Like other people have mentioned, I'd like better graphics. The graphics in JA are better than JO's, but still not nearly as beautiful as a good many games out there. Halo, Metroid Prime, Homeworld II, now there's some excellent graphics. I think Raven could go all out and make some truly stunning graphics, especially in the backgrounds. The backgrounds were the most dissapointing graphical aspect of JA, in my opinion at least.

Courscant in JA looked pretty bland. I mean, in the movies, and even in a several fan made maps for JO, Courscant was a pretty spiffy looking place. Futureistic, yet gothic looking buildings. Floating holograms everywhere. Animated billboards and building signs. You could do a lot with a place like that. Even just compared to the Courscant maps for JO, the official JA Courscant maps just didn't look impressive at all.

I'd also like to see larger, less linear areas. Like, make some places that are difficult to get to that could lead to completely different goals that could end the mission and unlock bonus items (movies, a soundtrack option, an image gallery, things like that) or bonus missions. Perhaps a mission tree that takes you on different paths depending on how you complete various levels.

I like how you gain powers with experience in the JK games, it would be nice to see that idea developed. How you complete a mission limits or expands your options when adding powers to your character.

A larger variety of options as far as species and the look of your character in single player would be nice. I'd also prefere, instead of the same human sounding voices no matter what species you took, if when you picked a Rodian for example, your character would speak the rodian language, and all the text would be subtitled, just like in the movies.

More ease of modding, like making it easier to load and unload vehicles so the game doesn't crash if there's too many vehicles in your base directory. Then you have to go searching for vehicle models and move them to another directory.

Same with character models for multiplayer. I hate having so many character models that it makes many unselectable from the model select screen. I don't understand why there's not a way to make it so all your character models are selectable in a scrolling screen. It seemed like this was the case in JA, but I still find models kicking others off the screen, even though there's black spaces available.

I agree there should be less Jedi/Sith with dual sabers, and two sabers, and though they should be more powerful than a Jedi with a single bladed saber in SP, I think the playing field should be evened out in MP...that or give the admins the ability to dole out dual sabers, and dual bladed sabers as they see fit, without everyone being to pick one the moment they log on. I don't think either way is a perfect fix, but just some ideas.

Like someone already mentioned, civilians running around again would be great, as would whether or not you kill them, or how you kill enemies (such as attacking from behind as opposed to fighting fairly, or sneaking past enemies as opposed to killing them when you don't really have to) would be an interesting twist on the developement of your character. Make the decision between light and dark more of a drawn out affair instead of a single choice at a key moment in the game (like "kill Rosh and go dark side, or show mercy and stay light side"), even at times making it unclear as to which side you'd be going down with certain choices.

Like someone else said, and I kinda said with less linear levels, have multiple mission objectives, and more puzzle solving around those mission objects. Again, how you solve these objectives could determine how your character developes and along which side (light or dark).

I think as you travel more down one side or the other, the missions should change to reflect that. You'll be able to choose to go against what your superiors tell you and take on different missions, or have alternate objectives.

I also think it would be great if the storyline broke away from Kyle Katarn, Luke, and the rest of the post-OT stories, and possibly went to the prequel age, or maybe before that. Taking place in the times of the Old Republic, with the Jedi Council, the Senate, possibly during the Clone Wars. Regardless of how many feel about the prequel movies, I think the times and events of those time periods would make for a very fresh and interesting JK game.

It would be nifty if you started the game as a padawan under another Jedi, then later went out on your own, and towards the end of the game get a padawan of your own to train, depending on how you progress through the story.

Like others have mentioned, multiplayer could be expanded in some great ways. Co-op levels, much like seige mode but more like SP but with multiple characters on the same, or opposing teams, not limited to the models specific to certain roles as in Seige mode. Of course, more seige mode fun is always welcome as well. I'm just thinking mini-campaigns for multiple Jedi would be great. Or Sith, too, have levels from different prespectives. This would be even easier to implement in a game set in the Old Republic and could help to drive a more interesting story, as in you don't know if yout superiors are good or evil until a good partion of the way through the game. Taking missions from both the Jedi Council, and the Senate, and having the option to do your own thing on the side. Choosing between these types of missions, of course, affecting the outcome of the game and along wich side your character developes.

I'd also like it if fighting in MP was more skill oriented, than the dumbed down combat from JA. As in if someone is just running at you hitting the 'swing saber' button, or limited to one or two movies, then they should be open to better timed, and more strategic attacks. I'd also like it if such moves were not limited by your force bar. Does it really take that much force energy do do anything beyond swinging your saber around like a twit? At least have such moves take away far less force power, that way a longer battle could wear on both opponents, which would be nifty, but a shorter battle wouldn't really hamper or limit them much.

I'd also like to see a death tracker built into the actual game, so that people with tons of cheap kills, but who have died just as many, if not more times themselves, can't sit there and gloat over people who don't have as high a body count, but who also haven't been killed themselves. Perhaps make it a server option to delay respawning as well, to make getting killed that much more undesireable.

Better AI in SP (and in that MP mission idea) would be welcomed, and help with things like interacting with neutral characters and using alternate means to get past enemies instead of trying to hack up every enemy in a given level. Using mind trick to send some guards running down a hall, or even just looking away long enough for you to sneak past.

Another idea, make using either the guns or sabers have an effect on the game. Not neccesarily a saber use=good, gun use=bad effect, but in SP if you use the guns more, you get better with them and weaker with the saber, where as if you use the saber more, you get much better with that.

Of course, instead of monitoring what weapons/forcepowers/etcetera are used more, you could also go the Theif/System Shock route and have the player just put points into skills. I think Raven should look at those games for some great ideas outside of standard FPS combat.

I think I should add that I believe the combat should remain true to it's roots. The JK games are, after all FPS games, and that should stay the same. Still, there's a difference between expanding on the genre, and being a cookie cutter clone of hundreds of other FPS games, and I'd like Raven to keep that distinction in mind.

Another idea, conversation trees! Developing the story through alternate dialogue. If you act like a good two-shoes, perhaps you don't find out till late in the game that your master is a Sith lord, while if you're brash and unconventional, you find out sooner and can choose between fighting or reporting him then, or joining him. Alternately, if you choose at that point to join him, you can either keep it a secret, or tell another Jedi and wind up being a sort of double agent, keeping tabs on your master until he finds out later on.

Finally, though I may have mentioned it already, rewards for completing tasks and objectives. Cinema scenes, soundtrack options, more saber hilts/models/gaining another weapon/gaining skills, things to make it worth going the extra mile to find secrets and beat the game in ways other than simple hack and slash, and rewards for showing superior skill.

I'm certain I could think of many other ideas if I just sat around and thought about it, but that's enough for now. What do you guys think?

Here's how the RPG thing will work - (to my mind)

Remember the mission overview shown after every mission? That data can be used to analyze what sort of Jedi you are. In JK:JA, your core powers advanced with the tier you are playing in (t1=1 force, t2=2 force) etc. But ink JK4, it should be based on your gameplay. If you are a person who jumps a lot, your Force Jump will increase faster. If you go fast, your Force Speed incrases and so on. That really seems Jedi-ish, otherwise, you add a point, and you learned so-and-so power. Gr8!

The character will also have statistics like Attack, Defense, Agility etc. These will increase depending on how you battle and move. There should also be one statistic named "Wisdom". This makes you wiser and more effective with your saber and force. You obtain wisdom by analyzing the style you battle, the choices you make, the sabers and weapons you choose etc.

The conversion is also automatic. In JK: JA, you can learn all Light side abilities and turn to the dark side. Sounds pointless. In JK4, the computer will choose your side depending on Wisdom.

Wisdom will be of to types. Minus wisdom (dark side) and Plus wisdom (Light side). After every mission, you're wisdom is calculated. Suppose in one mission you get +35 Wisdom and in the other, you get -50 Wisdom (Bad, bad Jedi!:D ) then you have -15 Wisdom. In other words, you are a bit on the dark side. At the time of conversion, this wisdom is taken in mind and your character converts or stays.

Rest should be like a normal RPG, like Deus Ex or something.

It should also be based on the Unreal Engine, Q3 engine always reminds me of broken trains...

Archived