Home

drumming up convo (game talk)

Yeah, Ike, there were a couple of levels on that game that I couldn't finish on the old, small blurry TV in my room that I had the Gamecube hooked up to... the enemy targets were too small to hit when they were far away, and it was too late when they got close enough to see them clearly.

I took it to the living room and hooked it up to the big TV and usually got through them right off the bat.

Now I've got it hooked up with the old living room TV setup (since I got a new TV for the living room this year,) with a ProLogicII 5.1 surround system in the basement den. The only way to fly! :D

The bigger the screen, and the better the TV resolution, the better off you'll be. Crank up the brightness and contrast. The daytime surface missions are sometimes a little easier.

The GC controllers suck. I have 4 controllers for multiplayer, and I've tried them all out on different games, there's a couple that are better at RL and RS than others. (Not as twitchy... a little smoother response.) Fortunately, they are all different colors, so it's pretty easy to remember which one I liked.

I'm stuck on Rebel Strike now. I really don't like the ground missions... ugh!

I've completely finished Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike 100%. I have a 48" rear projection and surround sound and the works. I love playing games on that TV, it's like i'm in the game, especially when i'm playing Metroid Prime. :D:p

...Is it me or do most people in this place suck at the Rogue Squadron games? A lot of people I seem to talk to about RS haven't even finished the game(s) yet. :xp:

What is up with people complaining about the GC controller? Are my hands special and can adapt to any controller I use? I think the GC controller is fine. The XBox controller (the original huge version) was messed up for me. And you know what, the Gamecube and XBox S controller are almost the same. I think they copied the GC when they made the XBox S controller.

Now, speaking of the actual topic, I have beaten Rogue Leader, but not Rebel Strike yet. I hate those damn walking ground missions.

Most of the foot missions suck except for Hoth. Hoth was the only mission where everything seemed to work PERFECTLY (since they spent all their time fine tuning that one level :rolleyes: ). The AT-ST levels were great too, lotsa fun blowin the crap outta things and even shooting TIEs out of the sky. The flight missions where great as usual but of course since every RS game has had flight missions there wasn't that much special about them anymore.

Playing ANY game on a small screen for me is a nightmare, not cause everything is too small but because I can't see the detail that the creators actually put into the game. It's SOOOOO much better to have a huge TV for games cause you get to see the world you're in as if you were actually in it instead of just playing it.

Oh and Redwing my friend who was lookin over my shoulder totally disagrees with your comment about the GCN controller being not suitable for the RS games. He played Rebel Strike for the first time and he learnt the controls in a minute and was playing fine the whole time. Factor 5 even said this is a series of games where you should be able to just pick up the controller and master them in a minute. There really isn't anything to think about with the controls at all XP

The biggest problem I have with the controller is that it's real hard to make small, subtle movements on it,.. especially in the heat of action when the adrenelin is pumping. It's too easy to push the stick too hard in one direction without meaning it.

A proper flight stick, like the Logitech ones I use on my PC are so much better than a sloppy little thumb stick.

Other than that the GC controllers are fine. Just hate the thumbstick.

If most game makers allowed you to customize the joystick response in the options menu then I really wouldn't have any complaint about them at all.

Originally posted by Lynk Former

Oh and Redwing my friend who was lookin over my shoulder totally disagrees with your comment about the GCN controller being not suitable for the RS games. He played Rebel Strike for the first time and he learnt the controls in a minute and was playing fine the whole time. Factor 5 even said this is a series of games where you should be able to just pick up the controller and master them in a minute. There really isn't anything to think about with the controls at all XP

You mean you instinctively know how to use the throttle? The ion cannons? How to control your freaking S-Foils? How not to crash into walls on the Trench Run with a single twitch? How to evade enemy fire and still keep heading in one direction with a spastical little joystick shifting you 180 degrees with every little lurch? :D

Maybe it's more logical if you weren't used to the PC version already ;)

Originally posted by Redwing

You mean you instinctively know how to use the throttle? The ion cannons? How to control your freaking S-Foils? How not to crash into walls on the Trench Run with a single twitch? How to evade enemy fire and still keep heading in one direction with a spastical little joystick shifting you 180 degrees with every little lurch? :D

Jeez you're a baby

Originally posted by STTCT

quit your whining guys - we all know the x-box has a far more ****ed up controller by far - and if Rhett comes in here screaming they don't have that damn controller anymore I'm going to strangle him :)

I think the point is that consoles blow... I haven't bought a console since the N64, and I don't think I will. After that, the controllers started sucking. The analog sticks are too awkward to use now: they all switched to the PlayStation's analog placement that I've never liked. And personally, I prefer the versatility of PC peripherals to the manditorosity (yes, I made it up) of console controllers...

But now I think I'll go play some Top Gun: The Second Mission on my trusty old NES...

Peace.

Archived