Home

KotOR/TSL GUI Dialog Editor (DLGEditor) - Current Version: 2.3.2

tk102

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so very much for this TK. I have actually been pulling my modding punches and not trying to dive to heavily into TSL modding untill a new version of DLG edit and MDLops was released. Now I have no excuse other than time now to not dive headlong into my massive scale mod project that I started.

I certainly agree with you there T7, especially in the area of script parameters.

Both Fred and I really need the help of fellow modders who perform .dlg edits to give feedback as to how some of the new fields work. AlienRaceNode? What's that? RecordNoVO? Hopefully you all can figure out what's important and what's junk fields left in by Obsidian.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey TK, this is a minor think i know but it just is a real bear when you have to edit cutscenes in the gff editor. What I am talking about is that you provided a listener field only for replies and not for the entries as well. For cutscenes it is important to have speaker and listener fields for the entries so that the two npc's that are talking face each other. I noticed that this field was present in the gff editor but not in the DLGEditor, and in tsl, editing dialogs with a gff editor can sometimes cause problems. So, you don't have to do this i guess, but it would be nice, if you could just add a listener field for the entries as well as the replies. Thanks in advance,

-GSCCC

Then you havent played my mod, the admiral jumps around from looking towards the pc from looking towards the npc he is talking to, this is because sometimes the listener field is set and sometimes it wasnt, mainly i tried to do it in just the first two entries to try and see if he would stay facing darth cravon, only he didnt. Im not trying to complain or anyting i just think it would be nice to have that option there. Makes a lot less work for people when doing cutscenes where the pc is present.

Yes, the problem happens if the pc is present in a cutscene which unless you use a recorded stunt module he always is, the npc's will want to face the pc so you have to set their listener tag to look at the npc they are talking to ex: if the admiral really did turn around and face in the opposite direction of the Dark Lord while he was talking, he probably wouldn't be admiral for long :p.

BTW: Don't worry about the whole you havent played my mod thing, i wasnt buggin you about it was just giving an example :p.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the suggestion Gsccc! I didn't know Entry structs recognized the Listener field -- I hadn't opened a dlg in GFFEditor that had one. I appreciate the constructive feedback. This item is next on my to-do list.

(Makes you wonder if adding a Speaker field to a Reply would work.)

I would like to add my gratitude to this application tk102. I dont know what I would have done without it :)

I have one complaint though.

The application runs very slow, like when selecting dialog entries it takes "a long time" to update the fields which get can get somewhat tiresome. Compared to in Kotor Tool it updates the fields as soon as you select a new line. While with this tool it usually takes a few seconds.

Maybe its something on my part but I wanted to mention it anyway.

Keep up the great work :D

There are a number of reasons for the slowness including:

1) the size of the TSL dialogs are huge

2) there are many more fields to handle in TSL than in KotOR

3) the Undo feature I added consumes more memory

4) I destroy and recreate the widgets and each dialog branch -- that's something I'd like to fix but it will require extensive reprogramming

Originally posted by tk102

There are a number of reasons for the slowness including:

1) the size of the TSL dialogs are huge

2) there are many more fields to handle in TSL than in KotOR

3) the Undo feature I added consumes more memory

4) I destroy and recreate the widgets and each dialog branch -- that's something I'd like to fix but it will require extensive reprogramming

I just turned of the "Automatic Apply Changes" feature and it was way faster, dont why I never thought of that :rolleyes:

v2.1.4 released

Added support for Listener fields in Entry branches (Thanks Gsccc)

Fixed a bug that caused generated Script2 fields to be written as CExoStrings instead of CResref, causing said scripts to fail in-game. (Thanks T7Nowhere)

Originally posted by tk102 v2.1.4 released

Added support for Listener fields in Entry branches (Thanks Gsccc)

Good news I'm about to start some cutscene work soon :)

Originally posted by tk102

Fixed a bug that caused generated Script2 fields to be written as CExoStrings instead of CResref, causing said scripts to fail in-game. (Thanks T7Nowhere)

Thats why my second script didnt fire!

I have been going through my scripts several times to figure out what was wrong :)

One quick question, do I need to make a new dialog file or will the editor update my exsisting dialog file so second scripts are written as CResref?

And thanks for the update ;)

Here's dialog fixit utility.

There's really nothing much to it... when you launch it, it will ask you to browse to your dialog file. It will then rewrite Script2 fields so that they are CRESREF field types.

If you open it from a command prompt (not necessary), it will also tell you how many fields it fixed.

fixdlg.zip

Hey,

Wanted to say awesome work on the DLGEditor :) My main nitpick is that the tree view pane is rather short, and that it cannot be resized vertically.

Beyond that, I just had a question about camera id's. Is there really any difference between a camera id of -1 and 0?

New nodes created in DLG Editor seem to use -1 by default, but after I change the value in the camera id field to test other camera results, I cannot change it back to -1 because it no longer allows a minus sign in that field. Sure, I could change it back to -1 with GFF Editor, but I was curious about this deliberate >=0 limitation in DLGEditor.

AlienRaceNode? What's that? RecordNoVO?

As far as I can tell, AlienRaceNode refers to indicies in alienvo.2da, which map to voice files in the StreamVoice\AVO\ folder. For example, in recent dialogs I have edited, T3-M4's nodes have AlienRaceNode set to 21 (which is the "T3_Speech" row in alienvo.2da), and changing it to 0 resulted in silence.

RecordNoVO seemed to always be set to 1 when AlienRaceNode was filled in, but I haven't really checked it out to see if it had to be set.

Originally posted by Razorfish.8

Hey...the tree view pane is rather short, and that it cannot be resized vertically.

I know -- I don't like that either and for awhile I was trying to find the right splitter widget that would allow resizing, but I got sidetracked.

Beyond that, I just had a question about camera id's. Is there really any difference between a camera id of -1 and 0? New nodes created in DLG Editor seem to use -1 by default, but after I change the value in the camera id field to test other camera results, I cannot change it back to -1 because it no longer allows a minus sign in that field... I was curious about this deliberate >=0 limitation in DLGEditor.

Yeah, that's my own inconsistencies you're noticing I think. As far as I know -1 is almost always means INVALID when it comes to constants in KotOR/TSL. 0 usually means DEFAULT. At the time I was making DLGEditor, I didn't know what the camera id should default to. I chose -1. But as you noticed my numeric-only code only allows values >= 0. There is no ulterior reasons behind these behaviors. :) Glad that you can't tell a difference between 0 and -1 in-game.

AlienRaceNode...

RecordNoVO...

Hey thanks for the info!

Wanted to say awesome work on the DLGEditor :)

I appreciate the feedback. I'll take another look at what I can do about making those panes resizeable.

Archived