Home

KotOR/TSL GUI Dialog Editor (DLGEditor) - Current Version: 2.3.2

tk102

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my computer has freaky issues with Perl.

trying to use DLGEditor it crashes. I have similar problems with K-Gff. Crashes every time. camedit crashes on saving. FindRefs shows that it's searching for a bit, then crashes.

I think KSE is the only one of tk102's tools I have that doesn't give me any trouble.

Oh cjt0202 that is easily the worst review I've gotten during my entire times on the forums. :lol: (oops I mean: :( ) Have you had any problems with cchargin's utilities? Do you use KSE or KSEA?

Oh cjt0202 that is easily the worst review I've gotten during my entire times on the forums. :lol: (oops I mean: :( )
Sorry! :D

I hated to do it, but the next thing on my list of trying to figure it out myself was descending into DLL Hell.

Have you had any problems with cchargin's utilities? Do you use KSE or KSEA?
mdlops seems to be OK. I use KSE.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You have the option to "paste as new" and "paste as copy".

You can also copy a line as text from the white box where you can type in and paste it somewhere else (ctrl+c and ctrl+v).

Edit tk102:

For this, I use Copy, then Paste as New. I then use Break Link with Parent on the subnodes that I don't want. (Hmm... that can be a little tedious. I might look at simplifying that process.)

You have the option to "paste as new" and "paste as copy".

You can also copy a line as text from the white box where you can type in and paste it somewhere else (ctrl+c and ctrl+v).

When I am creating dialogue loops, I usually use 'paste as copy'. However, I have tried both, and it doesn't like to play well with others.

Let me try to clearify, for I may have not have been clear. Lets just say I create three dialogue trees, and I decided to loop all three back to the main 'Entry' dialogue. I would have to copy and paste the entrys to create a loop. What is intresting is that the first dialogue tree likes to pull the entire second and third dialogue trees with the copied entry. Instead of just taking the 'Entry' dialogue of tree 2 and 3, the entire tree is pulled over.

Any suggestion?

For this, I use Copy, then Paste as New. I then use Break Link with Parent on the subnodes that I don't want. (Hmm... that can be a little tedious. I might look at simplifying that process.)

Will that allow the dialogue to loop back to the 2nd and 3rd entries, and execute the rest of the dialogue trees? Or, will that just cut the ties with the remaining dialogue in tree 2 and 3?

Thanks for both of your help on this matter.

Edit: Added:

I just tried what you suggested, and I get [End Dialogue]. I am hoping to get [Already Listed].

Let's say you have a dialog like this:

Root

|-> Entry 1

|--> Reply 1

|

|-> Entry 2

|--> Reply 2

|

|-> Entry 3

|--> Reply 3

and you want Reply 3 to loop back to the beginning.

In DLGEditor do this:

1. Add a new Entry to the root (it can be empty)

Root

|-> Entry 1

|--> Reply 1

|

|-> Entry 2

|--> Reply 2

|

|-> Entry 3

|--> Reply 3

|

|-> Entry 4

2. Add a new Reply to that entry (it can be empty also)

Root

|-> Entry 1

|--> Reply 1

|

|-> Entry 2

|--> Reply 2

|

|-> Entry 3

|--> Reply 3

|

|-> Entry 4

|--> Reply 4

3. Cut Entry 1 Copy Entry 1* and Paste as Copy to Reply 4. Then Cut Entry 1. Do this for Entry 2 and Entry 3 also:

Root

|-> Entry 4

|--> Reply 4

|---> Entry 1

|----> Reply 1

|---> Entry 2

|----> Reply 2

|---> Entry 3

|----> Reply 3

4. Copy Entry 4 and Paste as Copy to Reply 3.

|-> Entry 4

|--> Reply 4

|---> Entry 1

|----> Reply 1

|---> Entry 2

|----> Reply 2

|---> Entry 3

|----> Reply 3

|-----> Entry 4 (already listed)

* doing the Copy instead of Cut ensures that you can Paste Node As Copy which is necessary to preserve the conditionals. Also, to remove the original Entry, use Cut instead of Delete or you will create orphans.

Oh I get it!

I will have to make another tree with a new 'Entry' and 'Reply', and then I can copy & paste the entries from 1, 2, and 3 into the new tree. After all that, I can then copy and paste them at the end of tree 1, 2, or 3. <---That will definatly make a cleaner loop. :thumbsup:

That is so logical. I can't believe that I didn't see that.

Thank you TK. :)

I just edited the above... make sure you do a Paste as Copy to preserve your Conditionals. Also there seems to be a bug if you try to Break Link with Parent on the original node after you've done the Paste as Copy. Cut node works correctly. Don't use Delete Node Completely in this case though.

Unfortulatley, I still get the same results.

(Unaltered: Without loops.)

NPC-ROOT

---->PC - Entry I

------->NPC - Reply

---------->PC - Reply

------------>NPC - Reply (End Dialogue.)

---->PC - Entry II

------->NPC - Reply

---------->PC - Reply

---->PC - Entry III

------->NPC - Reply

---------->PC - Reply

--------------------------------------------------------

(Altered: With loops. The result I keep getting.)

NPC-ROOT

---->PC - Entry I

------->NPC - Reply

---------->PC - Reply

-------------->PC - Entry II

----------------->NPC - Reply

-------------------->PC - Reply

---------------------->NPC - Reply (End Dialogue.)

-------------->PC - Entry III

----------------->NPC - Reply

-------------------->PC - Reply

---------------------->NPC - Reply (End Dialogue.)

---->PC - Entry II (Already Listed.)

---->PC - Entry III (Already Listed.)

--------------------------------------------------------

(What I would like to happen.)

NPC-ROOT

---->PC - Entry I

------->NPC - Reply

---------->PC - Reply

------------>NPC - Reply

-------------->PC - Entry II (Already Listed.)

-------------->PC - Entry III (Already Listed.)

---->PC - Entry II

------->NPC - Reply

---------->PC - Reply I

------------>NPC - Reply

-------------->PC - Entry I (Already Listed.)

-------------->PC - Entry III (Already Listed.)

---->PC - Entry III

------->NPC - Reply

---------->PC - Reply

Be careful with what you call an Entry and what you call a Reply, those terms have specific meanings. An Entry is spoken by the NPC and is selected based on the first true Condition. A Reply is spoken by the PC and its availability is based on its Condition but is ultimately selected by the player.

Just remember to build from the top. The (already listed) parts will only appear below the node that is...already listed. :)

It also helps to draw a little box diagram showing how things progress. Follow one branch all the way out until you become self-referential or you reach the end of the dialog. After that, go back up to the last branch point and follow it out. Eventually you'll work back to the branch points that are closest to the root, and hopefully most of them will be (already listed). :)

Root
└─Entry 1 (Hi, what do you want?)
  ├─Reply 1 (What is your name)
  │ └─Entry 2 (I am tk102.  Who are you?)
  │   └─Reply 2 (I am <PLAYER>)
  │     └─Entry 3 (Nice to meet you.)
  │       ├─Reply 3 (What is your favorite equation?)
  │       │ └─Entry 4 (Hmm, Euler's equation I suppose.)
  │       │   └─Reply 4 (I prefer the Pythagorean theorem.)
  │       │     └─Entry 5 (Yeah, that's more handy.)
  │       │       ├─Reply 1 (What is your name (already listed))
  │       │       └─Reply 6 (What is your mother's maiden name?)
  │       │         └─Entry 6 (Ha, ha, I don't think so.)
  │       │           └─Reply 6 (It was worth a try.)
  │       │             └─Entry 7 (No more questions please.  (End dialog))
  │       └─Reply 6 (What is your mother's maiden name? (already listed))
  ├─Reply 3 (What is your favorite equation? (already listed)
  └─Reply 6 (What is your mother's maiden name? (already listed))

Just remember to build from the top. The (already listed) parts will only appear below the node that is...already listed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is where I probally got into trouble. I build the dialogue trees top to bottom, but treated each tree seperatly. When I went back to loop the dialogue, I created more problems for myself.

Entry = NPC

Reply = PC/NPC

I must have conffused you. My apology.

├─Reply 3 (What is your favorite equation? (already listed)

└─Reply 6 (What is your mother's maiden name? (already listed))

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is what I was trying to get rid of. Next time I will use your logic.

Thank you for your help,

MacLeodCorp :)

Edit tk102: You're quite welcome. I'm sure others have had similar troubles trying to get a dialog to loop. Plus I was found a bug in my code thanks to this excercise.

v2.2.7 released

Just a small bug fix.

- Fixed a bug where right-click "Break Link with Parent" would cause an ARRAY error.

DUDE! I swear I was 2 seconds from PM'ing you about this.. you're a lifesaver and saved me a PM hehehe :xp:

NOW, any way to make it possible to cut-n-paste between 2 different .dlg files? ;) Guess I need to go searching for the requests area :devsmoke:

Glad I could help out ChAiNz.2da. :)

NOW, any way to make it possible to cut-n-paste between 2 different .dlg files?

That sounds like a minor request doesn't it... :doh:

I suppose you mean copying entire branches, not just nodes?

Glad I could help out ChAiNz.2da. :)

That sounds like a minor request doesn't it... :doh:

I suppose you mean copying entire branches, not just nodes?

hermmm.. methinks I have opened the proverbial "can of worms" huh? hehehe ;)

uhmmm... yah, entire branches would be peachy.. * goes to hide under a rock and escape tk's wrath *

but Hey! No rush bro, I'll be done with my mod probably before you pull all of your hair out doing this request (if possible and you have the desire to). Just something for the "down the road" kinda thing :)

but Hey! No rush bro, I'll be done with my mod probably before you pull all of your hair out doing this request (if possible and you have the desire to). Just something for the "down the road" kinda thing :)

LOL, you think you can finish your mod in the next 4 hours to a day Chainz.2da? As I'm pretty sure Tk will beat you to the punch. In fact I'll fish out a package of cookies for who ever is first. :p

LOL, you think you can finish your mod in the next 4 hours to a day Chainz.2da? As I'm pretty sure Tk will beat you to the punch. In fact I'll fish out a package of cookies for who ever is first. :p
Oh wow! I thought it would take longer than that seeing as how anytime I mention copy-n-paste something gets thrown at me, hehehe... :lol:

But if tk was to get this done in 4 hours or a day I'd gladly send you both a box of cookies :xp:

As for me, not a chance... I'm having "problems" trying to get a custom cutscene to bend to my will :fist: damn it all.. sooooo close to being done, why oh why did I want to go that extra mile?! :headbump hehehe...

As much as I like cookies, those "4 hours" that are required will have to come from a timepool that's a bit farther in the future than I think you're hoping for. :(

Not a problem man, like I said.. "down the road" ;)

hehehe.. funny enough though, the problem I was having I found the answer to.. (rather than having to start over *whew*)... so I'm all kewl & groovy :D

Thank you Search Function & one of Darth333's older posts :lol:

Edit tk102: Ah, yes in retrospect it is obvious that you were progressing down the same road as she -- I can see similarities in the use of the :headbump smiley.*

Edit by d3: Erm...what was that supposed to mean? Nevermind :xp:

Archived