KotOR/TSL GUI Dialog Editor (DLGEditor) - Current Version: 2.3.2

tk102

Hi, I have a question:

If I want to make a Conditional to this script:

void main()
{
   // Grab the Parameter.
   int nScriptNumber = GetScriptParameter( 1 );

// If Param = 7, then it's Mira. (Trying to make it consistent with the CNPC integers.)
   if ( nScriptNumber == 7 ) {
       AddMultiClass (CLASS_TYPE_JEDIMASTER, GetObjectByTag ("Mira") );
   }
And so on 

How must I type this in the Dialog editor?

I don't understand the thinks with P1 P2 P3 P4 P5 and String Param!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, I have a question:

If I want to make a Conditional to this script:

(snip!)

int nScriptNumber = GetScriptParameter( 1 );

(snip)

I don't understand the thinks with P1 P2 P3 P4 P5 and String Param!

The numbers you can enter in the P1 -> P5 fields, and the text you an enter in the String Param field, for each script on a dialog node are values that are passed to the script. These values are then read in the script by calling a function. For reading the P# field values, the GetScriptParameter() function is used in the script, where the number between the () is the same number as the number of the P field.

For example, you get the value entered in the P1 field by calling GetScriptParameter(1) in a script.

The value of the String Param field is read using the GetScriptStringParameter() function.

So, if you check the code for a script you'll see what parameters that script makes use of, and what they are used for. In your script above, the value of the P1 field is used to determine which party member you wish to multiclass. If you set P1 to 7 when calling the script it will multiclass Mira.

I found it out!

Another question: Is it possible to cope a node from one dialog and paste it in an other dialog? I mean that I copy a node from mira.dlg and paste this in visas.dlg.

Yes it is. The only problem would be derived from any dialogue branches that may be linked with it. However that is still relativeley easy to cleanup.

:confused: Are we using the same DLGeditor????

Copying from one dlg to another is not possible with dlgeditor.

It's always worked for me to copy/paste to and from the clipboard. At least for this dlgeditor. That's how I did alot of the merging for dialogues for the Holowan Plugin. I would have two instances of dlgeditor running at the same time copy a node from one and paste into the other. Now there have been issues in the past of parent and child nodes and orphans. But unless I misread some of TK's most recent fixes I believe those have been fixed.

Now KT dlgeditor has always given me issues with copying and pasting dlg nodes.

DLGEditor does not use the Windows clipboard like K-GFF does. However, as long as you stay in the same DLGEditor application, you can do a Copy Node and then Open a different .dlg file and do a Paste As New. The side effect of this however, is that the references to the child nodes will probably not make sense in a differerent dialog file.

You can also highlight and copy the text of a particular node -- this operation does use the windows clipboard -- and paste it into an existing node of a different DLGEditor application.

I hope that makes sense... I'm a bit sleepy.

• 1 month later...
…Of course, if you mean that DLGEditor has a bug with animations, it wouldn't surprise me either. :xp: If you can find a way to replicate the bug and describe it to me, that would be helpful. Feel free to post any findings you have in this thread. :)
happy to help! :) there are some animations DLGEditor is allergic to, you put them in the animation list, click on another node (and save), and when you're back on it the animation ain't there anymore, just a blank label with the actor's tag in brackets (that's not it, the animation actually won't work in-game). there sure is one i can think of, 1415_CROUCH-LONG (you know the bow the sith give you before Trayus Accademy), but there are others i think. i used this to mod the training dialog lines to make Atton and the others bow before you if you're dark (or meditate if you're light).

DLGEditor v2.2.8 released

v2.2.8

- Fixed bug where View Orphan + View Conditional caused Can't call method "get_field_ix_by_label" on unblessed reference (thanks Dashus)

- changed keystroke bindings: Ctrl-End and Ctrl-Delete now bound to treeview

- changed keystroke bindings: F2, F3, F4, F5, F11, F12, Ctrl-Shift-Z now bound to main window

- Fixed keystroke binding for Ctrl-Z (wasn't working)

- Fixed bug associated with TSL animations whose descriptions had '-' characters in them (thanks jinger)

• 2 weeks later...

mmm, couldn't that evil check on the animations get spaced? :) i just bumped into some animations that DLGEditor don't seem to recognize and it just deletes them from the animation list. i was editing Uthar's dialog in Naga Shadow's tomb (korr_m39aakor39/utharwynn.dlg) and the "poisoned" animation got deleted on me, with KGFF i can say it's 10001 but i think there are others, like in the jedi training dialog on Dantooine when you meditate with things floating all around you (of course i'm talking about the animation for the pc, not the one for the floating book) or the handshake with Zhar when you become an apprentice.

Hi jinger,

I took a look at that dialog with both KGFF and DLGEditor and couldn't find the "poisoned" animation to which you're referring. Do you know which node is supposed to be animated? (It seems that it should be Entry 89.) The only animations I find on that dialog branch are on Entry 69 (BOW, 10035) and on Entry 91 & 92 (TALK FORCEFUL, 10040).

Where are you getting the number 10001? It's true that DLGEditor does not have animation 10001 defined in it.

Edit: Oh I found it --- Entry 35. Okay, I'll add 10001 to the list. If you find specific animations that are omitted, I'll add them to the list. During my original animation search, I must have neglected to search deeper than 1 animation per dialog node...

i guess if you think that check is needed there is a reason, still it would be cool if any unknown animation wouldn'd be deleted from the animation list and show up as "not in list" or something like that, also it would be nice to have a box where you can put the number for any unknown animation one may find, it would also be quicker than scrolling a long list for animations you already know the code for.

I hear what you're saying. Unforunately, in my bad coding practice, I made the DLGEditor more wysiwyg than it should've been. The master data gets displayed and then the contents of the user controls gets checked to see if they match the original data, if not, then it's assumed the user changed the data and (if Auto-Apply is active) the changed are applied. I think I can work around that issue, however.

I considered having the text box for the animation code, but I chose a dropdown list with drag/drop was more user friendly. I'm trying to imagine how to keep the best of both while remaining an intuitive interface for users. The fact that you can have more than one animation per node makes it more difficult to design around and there isn't a lot of "real estate" available to work with in DLGEditor as-is. At this point in the life-cycle of the program, I'd rather just add all known animations to the description list to get them handled normally, and provide UNKNOWN-10001 or whatever for unhandled animations. GFF editors can be used for forcing values.

Thanks for the feedback! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Obligatory fawning: I love your DLGEditor to bits, and have made quite a few dialogs and cut scenes with it.

I do have a question though: I've never been able to get animations to work. Is there a way of finding out which animations specifically will work on the participants, or is there some specific thing I have to do first to get them to work, something in the root node?

• 4 weeks later...

On the topic of animations...

Edit: Snipped stuff about animation numbers, it isn't anything to do with bugs... just me not looking closely enough to see that unique models are used for the cutscenes.

Also, a feature request: The ability to type in the animation number rather than scroll through the list. Sometimes, when you know the value, you just want to enter it; rather than scroll through hundreds of animations :).

Edit tk102: That's a good idea. I don't know why I didn't do that in the first place.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to use DLGEditor v2.2.9, but when I started the program, nothing happened. I didn't see any error messages. I unzipped the archive, and copied the dialog.tlk to this directory. What I have to do to? (I didn't installed the KoTOR and/or KotOR2, I only want to edit the dialogues)

Please, somebody help me!

From what I remember this great tool was suppose to be used for editing kotor and kotor2 (TSL) dialog files and I think is require some 2da files and dialog.tlk from kotor2 or kotor folder/subfolder. However, I don't see how to use this tool if you don't have kotor2 or kotor installed.

The KotOR2 is installed to my home computer, but I want to use DLGEditor v2.2.9 on an other PC.

I just only edit the dialog.tlk's text, but it's important to see the dialog tree. I have an dialog-tree-viewer program, but it can only for viewing, not editing.

The KotOR2 is installed to my home computer, but I want to use DLGEditor v2.2.9 on an other PC.

I just only edit the dialog.tlk's text, but it's important to see the dialog tree. I have an dialog-tree-viewer program, but it can only for viewing, not editing.

I don't know if you can edit dialog.tlk with this. Have you tried TalkEd v1.0b (tlk editor)?

From What I know I think dialogEditor is for .dlg files.

I have the TalkEd, KotorTLK, and a NWN .tlk editor, which are all works good. As I know the .dlg files refering the strings of dialog.tlk. That's why will be good the DLGEditor. But it seems to me it's not working without the installed games.

Here is something you can try to get dlgeditor working without the games installed:

DLGEditor creates an dlgeditor.ini in your %SYSTEMROOT% directory (C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINNT typically) that stores settings including the location of the dialog.tlk file for KotOR and TSL.

Open up notepad and paste the following (replacing yourpathnamehere with wherever you've put your dialog.tlk files)

[settings]
KotOR TLK Location=C:\yourpathnamehere
TSL TLK Location=C:\yourpathnamehere

Save this in your C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINNT folder as dlgeditor.ini and try launching DLGEditor again. Make sure notepad doesn't accidently name the file dlgeditor.ini.txt!

Archived