Home

OT DVD ghost scene

Zerosaber

Would you rather have Shaw or Hayden as Anakin in the ghost scene at the end of ROTJ  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather have Shaw or Hayden as Anakin in the ghost scene at the end of ROTJ

• Sebastian Shaw
    • Hayden Christiansen

ROTJ Audio Commentary, George Lucas Speaking, during the Vader funeral pyre scene.

Unfortunately, Lucas's statements are vague enough that they could be interpreted a few different ways.

He just says that Anakin found out how to retain his identity, like Yoda and Obi-Wan knew how, so he appeared how he was when he died, as Anakin Skywalker.

Well, wasn't he "Anakin Skywalker" when he killed the Emperor, and said his goodbyes and made peace with Luke and "your sister"?

Some say, well this is logical, because he was still on the "Good Side" when his body was damaged before he needed the suit (since the last time we'll see him without a mask as a member of the Jedi is in Episode III).

However, isn't the fall to the Dark Side the issue, not his injuries? After all, he committed a heinous act of mass murder against the Sandpeople in AOTC. Plus at the end of the movie he got his arm chopped off by Dooku and needed a cybernetic replacement.

Yet, when he's shown as a ghost, he has the same makeup and haircut like we've seen in the publicity shots for Episode III (sorry, but even I got spoiled for that one). Shoulder length long hair (rather than that goofy Padawan braid and short hair), somber expression, etc.

He's 20 something Anakin instead of 40 something Anakin he should be.

In the AOTC commentary in the scene right after the Tusken massacre, we hear Qui Gon's voice and Lucas on the Audio commentary in that scene (with Mace and Yoda) he mentions the "retaining your identity after death" thing again, but why doesn't he mention Qui Gon in the OT commentary? He gives the impression that only Obi-Wan and Yoda knew how to do it and that's how Anakin learned. But if Qui Gon did it first....?

I listened to the TPM commentary straight through (never had done that before) and in it Lucas says that TPM takes place some 30 years before A New Hope, so that's where that data comes from).

Of course Lucas could always change his mind about the stuff he says on the commentary, just that he'll have no more excuses that it was some interviewer misquoting him or fans not remembering. ; )

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by InsaneSith

you people expect too much out of a man, don't like it, fine don't watch. Just get over it and stop hassling. Noone is forcing you to watch the DVD's.

The idea is if we hassle enough, maybe he'll start to give the fans what they're asking for.

After all, he changed his mind and released TPM & AOTC on DVD and now the OT when before he said no Star Wars DVD's until Episode III is finished).

Originally the "Special Edition of the Special Editions" of the Star Wars films were dismissed by LucasFilm as simply rumors, but turned out to be reality. This in response to fan criticism of some of the shoddiness of the Special Edition changes and stuff that was missed? You decide.

Plus, it's NOT too much to expect from the man to release the original movies that made him so rich, famous and powerful. He has the resources to do it, and it would only make him richer and better appreciated still.

And it's all well and good to say "don't watch it." But if we want the original films on DVD, our only choice is a bootleg, currently. He's not giving the fans what they want. VHS just doesn't cut it quality-wise and degrades with each viewing.

When Lowry Digital restored the trilogy, they made a "digital master" of the Original Films that is cleaned up and ready for any future transfers (including High Def formats). So the excuse that the originals "don't exist anymore" or that it would take "millions of dollars" (more) to release the originals is a bit hard to swallow.

Sure it would cost money to encode and press the discs, print the boxes and ship them to stores. But it's not like he has to restore the films AGAIN to get the originals out, since they already did the work with the restoration they did for the 2004 edition set. It's already done!

As to editing the DVD's, yes, that's now possible and I hope people start taking advantage of that. Of course these would just be fan edits that would be illegal (I'm assuming) to distribute to the public, but that's the best we can do until Lucas comes to his senses again.

No offense intended of course, just respectfully saying why I disagree. ; )

People shouldn't feel so bad, I do it too sometimes.

At the minimum, if a thread is super duper long and I don't have time to read the whole thing, I'll just read the initial post and reply to that one.

There's nothing really wrong with that per se, especially if it's a multi-pager that goes off topic or hasn't had a meaningful contribution in awhile. Just saying. ; )

Originally posted by Kurgan

No offense intended of course, just respectfully saying why I disagree. ; )

I get what you're saying, but I'm tired of hearing all the negativity, and hatred. How do you even know EVERY DECISION was made by lucas? the guy hires marketers and fund analysts for a reason. My point is not everything is lucas' fault, and it seems kind of stupid to say you hate him, and then ask from him.

(you in the general sense, not directional)

Definately Sebastian Shaw....Hayden just seems unnatural in that scene. BUT with Anakins both hands and legs chopped off, he couldn't come "back to life" as a normal Jedi looking like Sebastian Shaw. So he comes back in the form that he was before he fell into the

Lava pit on Mustafar

Sebastian Shaw, besides I belive Anakin never truly turned to the dark side of the force. Like luke said " I still feel good in him "

And when he died he was then back to normal and a good guy, old Anakin, not young so he should have been an old Anakin as a ghost, not young.

Collectors Edition without digital mastered changes and recent DVD set changes, here we come. :)

Personally, I prefer Shaw. What I would have liked to happen is maybe a flash of Hayden being shown or something similar. I'm thankful I have the remastered versions on VHS. :)

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Hekx

What I would have liked to happen is maybe a flash of Hayden being shown or something similar.

If Lucas insisted on editing Hayden in some way I agree that's the way it should have been done.

Otherwise, I voted for Shaw.

i believe Shaw makes more sense storyline wise - after overcoming the dark side and earning his redemption why would Anakin then revert to the young man vulnerable to the dark side that he was, rather than the redeemed man he had become

edit: in the end i think this particular change has a little bit of "because we can" about it

Originally posted by Leper Messiah

i believe Shaw makes more sense storyline wise - after overcoming the dark side and earning his redemption why would Anakin then revert to the young man vulnerable to the dark side that he was, rather than the redeemed man he had become.

Perhaps because the Shaw version is "more machine now than man" just not quite so twisted and evil.

Originally posted by Prime

Perhaps because the Shaw version is "more machine now than man" just not quite so twisted and evil.

precisely. Sure he was redeemed, but he was still more machine than man, if I were anakin I would cling to my more human side too. I think lucas made shaw the ghost originally only because he needed to, to make it all seem complete, why wouldn't he use a younger person as anakins ghost if he was going to do that anyway? Because he didn't want it to seem out of place would be my guess, you know if you have someone playing young anakin in the 80's then when making the prequels it's someone totally different, it kinda.... seems weird. I personally don't care who's the ghost, it changes nothing of the story itself.

Archived