Home

How do you like your music ripped?

Tyrion

I'm not talking about getting music off p2p sites, but I'm talking about the format you like your music in, i.e. .mp3, .ogg, .wav, ect.

Personally, I like .mp3 mostly out of habit, even though it's supposed to be lossy in quality. Though when I compare a 256kbps or 320kbps mp3 to a cd-quality song, I never can hear a difference...

So, what about you guys?

I prefer mp3s. I usually encode in mp3 with variable bitrate (150-240 Kbps), it makes relatively small files with very good sound quality, I can't really hear the difference between these and a CD either.

I used to encode in mp3Pro with variable bitrate (95-150 Kbps), but I've got a bigger hard drive now... ;)

Originally posted by Leper Messiah

well my comp converts all of my CD tracks to WAV files (ahhh!! my hard drive :D) but they have to be converted to MP3s to go onto my MP3 player anyhoo.

Just download Windows media player 10!

Your talking about 9megs per min for cd quality wav arn't you?

I would use ogg, as it has better quality than mp3s, but not the drawbacks of wmas... but not enough devices support it... so i'd rather keep my files in mp3 that can be used on everything i own (or buy in the future) rather than have to spend hours re-encoding them in the future.

Lossless would be nice, but is only really any use on a PC, as it would take up too much space for a portable device.

If you use mp3, the Lame encoder is the best, and it's "alt presets" are the way to go.

-alt preset standard will be fine for most things and -alt preset extreme will take care of anything tricky.

"mp3 lame -alt preset standard" is what i download most of my legal music in. And what i encode most of my cds in.

Archived