Home

So, which format are you getting Psychonauts for?

Thrik

So, which format are you getting Psychonauts for?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. So, which format are you getting Psychonauts for?

• The massive Xbox.
    • The mighty PC.
    • The.. PS2.
    • I'm getting it for multiple formats.

Moolah is always an issue in business, but the motivation for the multiplatform release is to get Psychonauts to as many people as possible. This is a game like none other, and it should be seen by all. The PS2 has a lot of devoted fans who will not stray, and it's not our place to ask them to, so we made a version for them. As for PC, we all know Tim Schafer's history in this industry, he is Mr. PC. The Xbox was obviously already in production, and again this falls under the same reasoning as PS2 fans. Money is important, but this decision was also approved and encouraged by Doublefine because the more ways we offer it, the more people will play it. So whatever platform you have, all we ask is that you open your minds and enjoy the excellent game Psychonauts!

I don't know if this is true or not, but when I heard there was a PS2 port the first thing that came to mind was that with the popularity of the Ratchet and Clank, Jak (and Daxter), and Sly Cooper serieses, there is probably large a built in audience of 3D platformer fans on PS2... that might be the case on Xbox as well, but I don't think Microsoft managed to get Blinx or Voodoo Vince or Munch's Odyssee to sell as well as they'd hoped.

Originally posted by Jake

I don't know if this is true or not, but when I heard there was a PS2 port the first thing that came to mind was that with the popularity of the Ratchet and Clank, Jak (and Daxter), and Sly Cooper serieses, there is probably large a built in audience of 3D platformer fans on PS2... that might be the case on Xbox as well, but I don't think Microsoft managed to get Blinx or Voodoo Vince or Munch's Odyssee to sell as well as they'd hoped.

Voodoo vince looked visually promising, but i rented it and was not impressed with the story or characters, i really wanted to love that game though. Blinx i bought back in the day after it got very good reviews for some shifty reason in the official xbox magazine and i tried to love it as well, and artistically it was an awesome game, the gameplay was just frustrating and got old fast, but they STILL decided to make a Blinx 2 which i was sent a microsoft survey long before it was announced and i solidly answered that i wasnt interested in the game, however most other people that took part in that survey mustve been excited for it i guess :-/. As far as munches odyssee goes, i also bought that and tried hard to love it but the style was maybe a little too odd for me and not exactly humorous enough.

Psychonauts has the advantage over all of those games firstly because Tim Schafer makes games with good characters/humor/story. Secondly the intro video to psychonauts has more depth and is more entertaining then any of those other xbox platformers combined. Its really a shame that microsoft lost faith in Psychonauts, probably because they looked at what they thought were "Psychonauts-Like" games like voodoo vince and such. Hopefully Psychonauts does well with the reviews, thats probably the only chance it has to catch onto the community. Good reviews will win this game over i think.

Originally posted by Prosky

Moolah is always an issue in business, but the motivation for the multiplatform release is to get Psychonauts to as many people as possible. This is a game like none other, and it should be seen by all. The PS2 has a lot of devoted fans who will not stray, and it's not our place to ask them to, so we made a version for them. As for PC, we all know Tim Schafer's history in this industry, he is Mr. PC. The Xbox was obviously already in production, and again this falls under the same reasoning as PS2 fans. Money is important, but this decision was also approved and encouraged by Doublefine because the more ways we offer it, the more people will play it. So whatever platform you have, all we ask is that you open your minds and enjoy the excellent game Psychonauts!

Am I supposed to be hopeful for a GameCube port?

I have an analogue controller for my PC and to be honest, it works fine. I use it rarely (i.e, on few games, but regularily on the games I use it for) but when I do, it gives me much more control than the mouse and WASD. Not to say that the Mouse and WASD are bad, I can use them fine, I have been for ages and many games these days have that as a default so it's easy to get used to.

Effectively, I'll be buying the PC version.

The Xbox, simply because that's the platform that the game is being developed for, the others are ports (well, not that big of a deal, but anyway).

Also, I've ceased playing games on the PC (except RTS, and point and click...). Just much more comfy and hassle-free playing on consoles. My PC's getting old too...

Got an Xbox and a Gamecube.

Archived