Home

Change of career?

RpTheHotrod

For my whole life, I've been wanting to go into computers, either programming or networking.

However, not to recently, I had started to have a huge pull towards going into law enforcement. It's been a few months now, and that pull keeps getting stronger and stronger. An entire new field (giving up gaming/programming/networking career to be a police officer and possibly advancing to investigator or something later on) but...just, I have such a urge to go with it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

As you get older, your flexibility to choose to pursue your dreams diminishes year by year.

I'm not sure how I got so lucky - knew I wanted engineering, thought electrical or chemical, ended up optical & physics ... which is what I've been doing for >15 years now.

Found a wonderful woman I love more than I did when we got married almost 13 years ago ...

Pursue your dreams.

Mike

i would say 'go with your gut', problem is your guts have sh#t for brains :p

so i would weigh out the pros and cons of both professions

i.e

the downside of working in IT is being a geek is an occupational hazard, no matter how cool you try to be.

the downside of being a cop is you might get shot.

Originally posted by Sivy

the downside of working in IT is being a geek is an occupational hazard, no matter how cool you try to be.

the downside of being a cop is you might get shot.

So you'll probably get shot no matter what you choose.

I couldn't care less if I got shot :p

I can either

Spend the rest of my life in a 10x10 cell typing until my fingers fall off.

Get some air and bust some baddies.

I think it would be interesting though, going out there. If I survive :p I could perhaps become an investigator, who knows, maybe someday join the FBI :D

I spent 12 years in the military then abrubtly left to pursue an interest in Juvenile Justice, where I've been since 1996. Now, I'm about 30 credits from finishing a degree in anthropology and going to do graduate work in archaeology. At 38 years of age, I firmly believe it's never too late to pursue new dreams and desires.

By the way, my first 2 years in the military were as a Military Policeman and I thought I wanted to go into law enforcement... as time went on, however, I began to turn away from that desire. I realized that no matter what, you'll just about always encounter people at their worst because of the nature of the job: either they're in trouble or causing trouble....

Kind of used to that. I'm always getting people out of trouble. Going to people's houses and the ygot a gun wanting to shoot a group of people that broke into their house earlier, kids on drugs, etc...

I'm big brother to a lot of people trying to keep them out of trouble.

Kind of person that gets calls late in the night to go pick up someone that's in trouble, etc...

My brother is a manager over a programming department.

He hates his job.

Been really thinking of not going that way, now. Ever since I was a child, I wanted to grow up and be like my brother.

Now that I have my own mind and all, I'm really thinking of going elsewhere.

The problem with computers jobs is that technology keeps getting better and better. I just saw 8 computer people from my work get fired last year because we switched to a new system and all of the support is centralized now to Minnisota. I think its a great field - but as technology gets more sophisticated they are going to need less and less people.

Sorry Spelling isn't my specialty

Originally posted by RpTheHotrod

My brother is a manager over a programming department.

He hates his job.

Perhaps it's just not the right job for him?

*shrugs*

Well, whatever you choose, just make sure you'll have fun doing it. When you get a job that you have no fun doing you dry up and become a meaty sack of rage.

Archived