Home

Fave Book

jon_hill987

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

Mystery/Detective : The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle......

......... [/b]

Alright!!! Another Sir Arthur fan. I loved "The Lost World" as well.:cheers:

Also, I loved "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by the immortal Samual Clements.

"Oliver Twist" by the equally impressive Charles Dickens.

And I am a hugh fan of the Harry Potter books.

Thats off the top of my head. I could go on, but I'll stop there.

I need to go find the Persian slipper that I keep my tabacco in.

Personally, I like Othello and Caesar...

After that I like Caesar and Hamlet. Tales of betrayal and mistrust. You'll most likely see allusion to these in the upcoming Star Wars film as well

Anakin: "Et tu, Padme? - Then Fall Anakin" (Lucas 3.1.77)

Mace: "Yond Anakin has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much: such men are dangerous." (1.2. 194-95 )

:p

many of mine have been already been stated but for repition :D -

Anything from the discworld

The gap series

The dragon reborn (tho the series is waning now :()

I wouldnt class it as a favourate, but i do love Angels and demons, although i felt digtal fortress was a better story, mainly as A+D had a weak ending in my opinion

LotR - J.R.R. Tolkein (duh)

Although I'm not all the way through it...

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

And *fanboy alert*

Halo: The Fall of Reach and Halo: First Strike, by Eric C. Nylund.

They both make the Halo games have a better story than you would think.

Oh, and The Giver and The Outsiders, I read them both in 7th, 8th, and 9th grade. Can't remember the authors though...

Originally posted by wassup

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke

Egh, that was well written, but depressing. I dislike it. :/

Fantasy: Sabriel / Garth Nix

> LOTR

> Wizard's First Rule / Terry Goodkind

Scifi: Ender's Game / Orson Scott Card

> Children of the Mind / Orson Scott Card

> The Uplift War / David Brin

> Earth / David Brin

> Rendezvous with Rama / Arthur C. Clarke

Other favs: The Time Ships, Ring, Anti-Ice, Lirael, Abhorsen, Ghost of the Grand Banks, Pastwatch, Foundation (all), and a lot more that I can list. :)

Oy, I don't know that I can pick just one, but the most timeless one so far would probably be The Dark Glory War by Michael A. Stackpole. Awesome book; his best ever.

Other faves: Ender's Game and Hart's Hope. Orson Scott Card is absolutely amazing. He writes human emotion like no other. He's the only author that's made me cry at a book. Okay there's one other, but I wasn't nearly as emotional as Card makes me. :D

Garth Nix is great too. Shade's Children, The Old Kingdom Trilogy, etc.

As for just good fiction: Isabel's Daughter by Judith Ryan Hendricks Great book. :)

Required reading: I really liked O Pioneers by Willa Cather.

Plus so many more, but the list is way too long to write here.

Originally posted by dole_4

LOTR - hmmm the story was awesome but the actual book wasn't that great. I sort of consider it a flawed masterpiece, JRR's imagination skills didn't match his writing skills ...

indeed... a modern day publisher would send poor JRR back to school, or get a ghost writer in.... sure the ideas, characters, events are amazing, but JRR was a linguist, not a writer.....it shows

btw, nice to see another aussie around :p OI !

mtfbwya

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

indeed... a modern day publisher would send poor JRR back to school, or get a ghost writer in.... sure the ideas, characters, events are amazing, but JRR was a linguist, not a writer.....it shows

I'm not sure you are right, I think he ment to use that style, sure it makes it harder to read but it adds to the illusion that the story is from long ago, the original coppy maybe even written by Bilbo Baggins himself. which makes him a better writer than most.

Originally posted by StormHammer

The first time I read them they were hard going in parts (I know I got Lord Foul's Bane not long after release in 1977, so I was 10 at the time), but for me the world just came to life. I could 'see' the locations and characters vividly in my minds eye as I was reading.

Me too. Thats why i persevered with them. I think it was mainly his writing style i found hard to read... the plots, worlds and characters were great.

I tell you what, IMHO they would make an excellent movie trilogy. At the same time very LOTR, slightly ROTS and more down to earth than both. I'd also probably enjoy them more in that format.

I did love the way it just kept getting worse and worse. I think this is probably what Lucas was going for in the new SW films, but hasn't nailed it.

LOTR - hmmm the story was awesome but the actual book wasn't that great. I sort of consider it a flawed masterpiece, JRR's imagination skills didn't match his writing skills ...

:confused: :confused: :confused:

If anything its the other way round. His imagination, the worlds he created (and by extension the worlds i saw in my immagination) was just miles beyond any world that had been created before, or probably since. Why do you think almost every fanasty book /film/game since then has been tolkienesque?

You could argue that his writing skills were more on the academic side, and this made the book inacsessible to many. A lot of my mates never made it past all the story telling and songs at rivendell... which is all great from his pointof view as a language professor, but not so good in terms of reader interest. I think they all loved the books once the films inspired them to persevere past that bit though.

Other faves: Ender's Game

I did like that book, but only read it last month so i don't know if it will stay with me. I liked it enough that i asked for the sequels for my b-day and have them ready to read by my bed.

My favourite would probably be Neuromancer by William Gibson.

That would probably be the other one in my top three, along with Dark Materials and LOTR.

--------

Someone should do a site or a BB plugin that allows readers to list favorite books, music, dvds etc.. and automatically creates froogle (uk!) wishlists for forums based on the combined suggestions of its users. Be a great way to find new things. (© Tom 2005) ;)

Originally posted by Captain Wilson

First of a great set i hasten to add to this. Just finshed re reading faith of the fallen

Yeah, Faith of the Fallen is really excellent if you've read all the rest before it, even though those aren't as good as WFR and FotF. :)

I liked The Count of Monte Cristo. It seemed to lag in the middle section, though once he got out of prison it was excellent.

Archived