Home

What Are Your Favorite Books

(Strider)

any book by Tom Clancy. that guy just really understands how to get a bunch of seemingly unrelated events to overlap and intertwine with each other. that and the stuff he writes about sounds like it could be tommorrow's headlines.

i'm also a really big LOTR fan. i just love that stuff.

as for other books/book series that i enjoy:

Halo series (the prequel books were the best)

The Chronicles of Narnia

'Jurassic Park' and 'The Lost World'

Congo

Left Behind series

Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends Trilogies - Weis and Hickman

Aftermath - LeVar Burton

Interview with a Vampire - Anne Rice

I Am Spock - Leonard Nimoy

Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man - Tim Allen

A Book of Troth - Edred Thorsson

And Marvel Comics!

^^^^

yep. both 'Jurassic Park' and 'The Lost World' were written by Michael Crichton. and before you ask: the movies were indeed based on the novels, not the other way around.

and something interesting to note: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle also wrote a novel by the title of 'The Lost World'. it was also quite interesting, but i still prefer Sir Doyle's legend of Sherlock Holmes over 'The Lost World'.

actually, Spielberg didn't write either JP3 or JP4. the only thing he's done with those movies is to produce them, and my understanding is that he had hardly anything to do with JP3, and i don't think that will change for JP4. IMHO, that's not a good thing. :(

any book by Tom Clancy. that guy just really understands how to get a bunch of seemingly unrelated events to overlap and intertwine with each other. that and the stuff he writes about sounds like it could be tommorrow's headlines.

I second this one! He pwns! :D

• Sherlock Holmes (I own the leather bound, Complete Works. Awsome)
  • The Lost World - By Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Samuel Clements -The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and The Prince and the Pauper, but really all of his writings
  • Charles Dickens. As with Mr.Clements, all of his work.
  • The Harry Potter series.
  • The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.
  • War and Peace

I've never read War and Peace, I just put there to sound smart. The others are true, though

eee gads *jedigoku's brain overloads at question*

um I have so many that it is hard to remember them all

series:

Goosebumps(when I was a kid)

lord of the rings

star wars movie books

books:

Fire apple it think that is the name or it is fire seed

The Silmarillion (tk102's thread turned me on to this one)

sorry tk I spelled it wrong

War of the worlds

Programming Books

books on Antarctica

outer space books

books on ancient Egypt

books on ancient Greece

and many more I just can't think of any at this time

Dan Brown writes some powerful stuff, I like his Angels & Demons and Digital Fortress.

Then ofcourse, we have the LotR. I tried the Silmarillion, but it felt more like a crash course in high school history textbooks.

I'm reading some of H. P. Lovecraft's work right now as well the War of the Worlds. I like Agatha Christie's as well.

I'd say my favorite author is Hermann Hesse. Just picked up and re-read Narcissus and Goldmund a month ago while travelling. The Glass Bead Game and Steppenwolf also struck chords with me.

But I'd have to say The Silmarillion is probably my favorite book overall.

One book that I've picked up a couple times but never got into was Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. I just try that one out again.

FINALLY! :thumbsup:

I was hoping someone would mention the "not so mentioned" Tolkien book that is my absolute favorite as well :D

+200 kewl points for tk... hehehe

I tried but I spelled it wrong. I just bought it and I is already one of my favorites I just got the name wrong

there fixed it

Two more people who like the Silmarillion!?! I thought I was alone! Everyone other than me seems to dislike or doesn't want to read the book!

Okay folks, I'm out of "kewl points"... Emperor Devon gets the last +150 kp :D

On another note, other than the staple "Tolkein, Clancy, Koontz, King, Rice & Rowling" has anyone read any good books by a relatively "unknown" author?

I'd like to diversify some of my reading into an untapped source so to say...

I'd be interested on some authors you think are the "up-n-comers"?

Which books have you read that you really enjoyed?

As for me:

The Lord of the Rings

Harry Potter

Artemis Fowl

A Series of Unfortunate Events

The Thrawn Trilogy

What about you?

Havent read any star wars books yet but my personal faves are steven king and james herbert.All of it is horror stuff but its great. :sithk:

Archived