Home

Video Game prices to rise

lukeskywalker1

Im sure you have all heard about game prices rising to $60 with the next gen consoles. I've read it in a few places, but can't find any links :-\

So what do you think? To be honest, I don't think there is that much difference between current console games and next gen console games. We have reached the limit, anything it possible on a TV screen, all we can do is up the graphics more. I mean, sure photo realism is great, but its been possible on PCs for years. Why the price raise now?

Think about it, development can't cost that much more for higher resolution textures, and upping the polycount isn't that tough. Don't get me wrong, its not easy to model (Im working with Blender right now) but it really doesn't cost that much money to smooth things out more (in fact, in blender you just up the subdivision level and things look better and better)

With the video game fan base rising at the rate it is (VGs are the #1 form of entertainment around) the gaming industry really should be gaining more money than ever.

The only thing right now that hurts the gaming industry is piracy, which for current generation console games isn't a huge problem. How many PS2 roms, or GCN Roms do you see floating around on the web? Not many (well, I havn't been looking, so maybe my point is invalid?)

The fact is, these amazing graphics have been possible for years, but the computers/consoles back then couldn't handle them. Look at Pixar, amazing CG back in 1995!? Well, granted they probably used beefed up machines that could compete with computers of today.

So yeah, what do you think? Are these high prices fair? Or should prices be stuck at around $50?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it hard to swallow paying $50 a game, though some games are worth it. $60 will only make me buy less games new. Unless they are sequals or games that friends have and such. I don't think they really need to up the price, but people will buy the and they know it. Are next-gen consoles were gonna be around the same price as ps2 and xbox? Or way more?

The fact is, these amazing graphics have been possible for years, but the computers/consoles back then couldn't handle them. Look at Pixar, amazing CG back in 1995!? Well, granted they probably used beefed up machines that could compete with computers of today.

I hope you realise it took days to render a single frame if it was complicated enough. Video games have to render in real time.

And, it's not just poly count that's getting better, theres more lighting, shaders (which need a whole aspect of video cards), physics, more AI, ect.

And for Nintendo, heres what Shigeru Miyamoto said in an interview:

You know, in regard to the power of the Nintendo Revolution versus, say, the Xbox 360, we're looking at making a small, quiet, affordable console.

If you look at trying to incorporate all that, of course we might not have the horsepower that some other companies have, but if you look at the numbers that they're throwing out, are those numbers going to be used in-game? I mean, those are just numbers that somebody just crunched up on a calculator. We could throw out a bunch of numbers, too, but what we're going to do is wait until our chips are done and we're going to find out how everything in the game is running, what its peak performance is, and those are the numbers that we're going to release because those are the numbers that really count.

Im sure you have all heard about game prices rising to $60 with the next gen consoles. I've read it in a few places, but can't find any links :-\

So what do you think?

Im thinkin shiver me timbers and prepare to walk the plank type stuff :p

paying full retail price for games is for suckers. Im not one of those "gotta get it at midnite" type of guys, so wait a bit, shop around, check out the trader and online markets and within 2-3 weeks of release you can get anything new at 60% of the price those tossers at EB try to pull on you...

...because those are the numbers that really count....

um, no the numbers that really count for any company are $$$ So if Nintendo are gunning to be cost competitive then it is an excellent marketing decision...Let's just hope they and the devs that are in their pocket can deliver as far as a wider range of good titles and a longer life on the console...

mtfbwya

Don't the prices always seem to go up when new generations of consoles come out? At least the RRPS... but pretty soon either the manufacturers or the retailers are discountng them in price wars with each other and the prices usually seem to settle down to the usual level.

That said, producing the amount of content that is needed for games these days dows mean that they have massive budgets... so i guess they might try and push the proces up.

As for the piracy argument. Don't buy it. Never have. Piracy of console games is common (PS2 and xbox) but that doesn't mean its more than about 2% of all sales, and the idea that each downloaded game is a "lost sale" is just crazy. Retailers in all areas always say that piracy (and fare dodging etc..) put prices up for everyone.. but whenever they manage to cut it the prices never go down. The two are unrelated.

I think the opening prices for the first games on the first console will be high, because they will be loosing so much on the console and want to get it back. And they know "early adopter types" will pay anything. But as soon as a second console launches they will start ctting prices, then the second console will follow suit. Then we will be back to where we were.

I hope you realise it took days to render a single frame if it was complicated enough. Video games have to render in real time.

And, it's not just poly count that's getting better, theres more lighting, shaders (which need a whole aspect of video cards), physics, more AI, ect.

Yes, I know, but today they have motion capture and computer programs that generate that stuff with ease. Look at MGS, movie quality cutscenes rendered by your console in real-time, not prerendered. Real facial experesions and realistic movement (because of motion capture) but yeah, still amazing.

Prices of rentals seem to be on the rise. I learned Blockbuster plans on raising the game rental price to 7.99. WHAT?! Hollywood still has games at 5.99 and a special 'rent one, get one free' deal for all the older games. Just the newest releases don't apply to that. Pretty damned good deal if you ask me. I would rather run out and buy a used game rather than renting it for $8 personally.

I usually rent a game from work before committing to buy. I will definately rent rather than buy on all X360 titles unless they're a gift.

Yeah, but in my store after a game's been out for 6 months the lowest price is still around 15 bucks. I pay 20 bucks monthly for the rental thing, and I rent at least 4 games a month. Which means I'm saving money.

Only if you're the kind of person who plays one video game almost exclusively till you've beaten it and the set it on the shelf. If that's the case then that's a perfect deal.

I like to be able to swap between new and old video games whenever I get the itch to play one of them, so it would be really inconvenient if I had to run to the store to pick up a new game everytime I wanted to play something else.

As for price rise in video games, I can't say it's unexpected. What with natural inflation, in addition to the fact that new video games require a veritable army of coders/modelers/writers/designers, there are a LOT of people to pay. I'm not necessarily happy about it, but it makes sense.

All 12 or 13 games I own I'm glad I own and play time and time again. Well, save for Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, but that was a gift. I didn't waste my money on that. I will take that as a lesson not to rush out and buy a sequel to a game, no matter how great the original is. All the other games I bought impulsively I sold with little loss, so it was almost just like renting them.

As for price rise in video games, I can't say it's unexpected. What with natural inflation, in addition to the fact that new video games require a veritable army of coders/modelers/writers/designers, there are a LOT of people to pay. I'm not necessarily happy about it, but it makes sense.

Yeah, but its not like they don't have teams right now while games are $50. They have armies now, some VG credit lists are longer than some movies, yet $50 is the price to pay an army now. Later on prices will rise because its next gen? I don't think so.

Rent! I have Blockbuster online and I pay $14.99 a month. I get 3 dvds out at one time and as many movies as I want a month. I also get 2 coupons a month for a free movie/game rental. I usually rent the games. Also Blockbuster has used games for Buy 2 get one free. Which I usually act upon. So I only buy a game if I know I'll love it or play it over and over again for Multiplayer action. Otherwise - its rent time for me.

Yeah, but its not like they don't have teams right now while games are $50. They have armies now, some VG credit lists are longer than some movies, yet $50 is the price to pay an army now. Later on prices will rise because its next gen? I don't think so.

Why not? With increased machine power comes increased manpower needed to create games. they will take longer to make and more people to do it. It makes perfect sense that the price will increase BECAUSE it is next gen.

Only if you're the kind of person who plays one video game almost exclusively till you've beaten it and the set it on the shelf. If that's the case then that's a perfect deal.

I like to be able to swap between new and old video games whenever I get the itch to play one of them, so it would be really inconvenient if I had to run to the store to pick up a new game everytime I wanted to play something else.

These days I find that there are few games that I find myself thinking about replaying. And those I think would be worth it are the ones I buy, almost always used.

That's why it's good to have friends that are spoiled rotten, I just borrow most of my games nowadays. The last game I bought was Morrowind the other week, and it was 15 bucks and I wanted to buy it on xbox anyways, pc was even better. July 18 was the last time before that I bought a game, and taht was meteos becuasse I had a 6 hour car ride ahead of me.

Personally, I will buy alot of 360 games because I will play them alot. Perfect Dark Zero I will get simply because it's perfect dark, and I've been waiting for this game for years now.

*looks at sig*

BOUGHT!

:D

Archived