Home

The mountains are burning

Lady Jedi

Yeah, some of you may have heard about the forest fires in Montana. Apparently it's been in the new in several places around the U.S.A. Which is surprising; normally just the California fires get the news.

In short, there was some really near where I live, we were evacuated, it sucked, everyone's okay, and things are starting to calm down now.

Also it seems as if it may have been arsen because:

1) The fires are all spaced almost exactly the same distance apart.

2) They were only in places that would spread fast and furious. i.e. At the bottoms of canyons and hills and such.

3) There were so many of them and so fast that there was no way to cover them all effectively.

That's what I've heard about it so far. If it was intentional, hopefully they find the jackass who did this. :(

So, yeah, it's been pretty rough, but I did get a lot of pictures:

Picture #1

Picture #2

Picture 3#

Picture #4

Picture #5

Of course, I have more details and pics if ya'll want 'em, but that's the short of it.

Really glad you and your family and your house are okay. Forest fires are insane, and get out of control quick and easy. You're pretty lucky.

I don't live close enough to the mountains to be really affected by the fires we have, especially the really bad ones a few years ago, but they're still scary.

There were some pretty intense forest fires in Québec earlier this summer, some pretty close to where I live Fortunately I am spending summer at my mom's so I wasn't there when it all happened. Currently there are about 45 fires still raging in the province's forests, but most are under control, thanks to our devoted firemen.

Also it seems as if it may have been arsen because:

1) The fires are all spaced almost exactly the same distance apart.

2) They were only in places that would spread fast and furious. i.e. At the bottoms of canyons and hills and such.

3) There were so many of them and so fast that there was no way to cover them all effectively.

That's what I've heard about it so far. If it was intentional, hopefully they find the jackass who did this. :(

I hope you mean Arson 'cause I don't think the RS.Ners did it.

Well, Metallica never were the smartest of the bunch...

Actually fighting fire with fire is a fairly effective method. Controlled burnings to reduce flamable undergrowth, and burning strips of land to act as fire breaks. After all, it can't burn twice.

metallica are dumb though :smash:

Actually fighting fire with fire is a fairly effective method. Controlled burnings to reduce flamable undergrowth, and burning strips of land to act as fire breaks. After all, it can't burn twice.

metallica are dumb though :smash:

yes it is effective, which is why i mentioned it and perhaps metallica is dumb now... but back when that song was written (1984) I think they were quite the smart fellows :) Perhaps it was just Cliff's influence hehe.

@IG: No I didn't ride in a helicopter. I merely took plenty of pictures (and a vid or two) of the choppers as they flew over and over and over our place. :)

@Jokemaster: Yes, I meant 'arson'. ;)

@Wassup: There's no way I can stay inside a lot, but we're doing pretty well, by way of smoke and such. It's really a lot better; the first few days were the worst.

@Metallica fans: Fighting fire with fire did work rather well at a neighbor's house. They're accross the river from us and the fire was slowly creeping down thier mountainside towards their houses. So the firemen started a fire at the bottom of the hill and both of em met in the middle and the danger is mostly gone. :)

@Everyone: Thanks for your kind words. My dad and a neighbor had gone out as soon as the fire started and cut a nice fire line with some dozers about 100 yards from our property line. The fire fighters have told us that that line was pretty much all that kept it at bay and at a few places it even jumed the line. They told us today that it should be totally out by tomorrow. :)

More pics:

Picture #1

Picture #2

Picture #3

@Metallica fans: Fighting fire with fire did work rather well at a neighbor's house. They're accross the river from us and the fire was slowly creeping down thier mountainside towards their houses. So the firemen started a fire at the bottom of the hill and both of em met in the middle and the danger is mostly gone. :)

:eyeraise:

No, I don't get it.

I remember a tv show as a kid (with a puzzle every week) where the hero was stuck on a really little island and a fire started at the eastern end. The wind was blowing strongly east to west. The fire was closing in.

All he had was a box of matches. I was stumped.

So he lit a fire on the west of his position and was now between two fires.

As they both went east to west he just waited until the one he had lit had gone a short distance and then stepped onto the burned earth. He was then safe, as the approaching (original) fire had nothing left to burn once it reached the area he had burnt.

Of course, if the wind had changed he might have been in trouble...

:eyeraise:

No, I don't get it.

What's not to get? Once the fires meet there's not much left to burn so they go out...

An update: The majority of the fires out here are pretty much out. There were some flare ups yesterday but it's contained now. Unfortunately many of the mountains have lost their green beauty and are now reduced to black and brown. 'Tis a shame. :disaprove

Archived