Home

More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)

kookaburra

F the MMO. The game was a classic based on the style, and now you're going to change it. Just go RPG again.

Uhhh...MMORPG

I doubt this is true. Bioware got eaten by EA.

I wouldn't really like it either. The Revan story isn't over and it needs to be closed before anything else should be made IMO.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great, so I can't go out and continue my campagin for a Dragon Age MMO.

That being said, all the "sources" that try and confirm the KOTOR MMO are a bit...ahem...unreliable. Plus, Bioware repeatly said they want NEW IP. So, basically, there is no evidence that this is true.

I just want this to end. If they want to release KOTOR MMO in replacement of KOTOR3, fine. We'll know the ending after all, the True Sith lose. But please, tell us if you are, or if you are going to create a Dragon Age MMO. NOW. So that we don't have to see this sort of topic appear over and over and over...

Great, so I can't go out and continue my campagin for a Dragon Age MMO.

That being said, all the "sources" that try and confirm the KOTOR MMO are a bit...ahem...unreliable. Plus, Bioware repeatly said they want NEW IP. So, basically, there is no evidence that this is true.

I just want this to end. If they want to release KOTOR MMO in replacement of KOTOR3, fine. We'll know the ending after all, the True Sith lose. But please, tell us if you are, or if you are going to create a Dragon Age MMO. NOW. So that we don't have to see this sort of topic appear over and over and over...

It is certain that MMOs IP is NOT belong to Bioware/Pandemic check this: http://library.corporate-ir.net/library/88/881/88189/items/264618/EAPres.pdf

2nd page, look at "new MMO"

there is no thick, so it is not an owned IP.

the last thing we need is SWG: The KotOR Edition....we need something with a good storyline called KotOR 3...

Yeah, exactly my thoughts as well. The MMO would be horrible.. a KotOR without characters and story.. yaay! :(

I hope the rumors are false.

2009 sounds waaaaaaaay too soon, though. If I were them, I'd work and play test this game for at least 2-3 years before thinking of releasing. Possibly longer. If they must do this, then they better do it right.

when bioware announced that they were making an mmo in march of 06, they said that they had started work on the project back in 2005, so with a 2009 launch date, thats 4+ years of developement/testing that they will have. plus, the bioware ceo's have said that the mmo is already in playable format. so that would make about 2-3 years of playtesting right there.

It's official! BioWare and LucasArts are working on...

*** drum roll ***

an "Interactive entertainment product."

:eyeraise::drop2:

The official press release is posted at the recently outed

http://www.lucasartsbioware.com

My guess is that it was AtariFX's discovery of the existence of the lucasartsbioware.com domain that pushed up this announcement.

It seems quite evident to me that BioWare's MMORPG is going to be based on a LucasArts IP. If it turns out to be anything other than KotOR I'm going to be floored.

:::2nd page, look at "new MMO"

there is no [[checkmark]], so it is not an owned IP.:::

It's got to be KOTOR.

The MMOs have the potential to make money, and make money, and make money, and that's all that matters to the people pulling the strings -- you can look forward to something like a million subscribers for a while, at least, which makes up for the enormous production cost, too (I'm guessing KOTOR 1 and 2 made modest, as opposed to sick profit?) The Star Wars brand is excellent, but The last Star Wars MMO wasn't very good, as I understand it -- and everybody wanted to be Jedis. If "Warcraft" had enough brand to bring in PC Gamers, uh...what about Star Wars?

People want to be Jedis and fight Sith in an RPG. They'd probably rather watch a KOTOR TV show, rather than this dramatically inert "between ep. 3 and 4" thing. If Lucasarts wants another MMO ($,$,$) where people can be jedis...who can they turn to? Who would you turn to?

WHY COULDN'T Bioware pull this off? You use 120 people for development for a few years, scale back the team to 70, maybe, who keep adding content...if you could keep the story going ("like a TV show" -- flashes of the Powerpoint presentation inspiring the press release?) with new audio files, character-interactions...all for a subscription fee, it's a license for Lucasarts and Bioware continually print money for three years.

KotOR had to many open storylines for it to be made into an MMO. I really don't think it will. If it does though, I'm gonna be angry. KotOR is not fit to become an MMO. It is far to storyline driven, and it would be next to impossible to keep it up to par with the single player games. A Star Wars MMO? After Galaxies? No thanks. And especially don't take KotOR away to do it... Thank you, this has been Knight Revan and I approve this message.

:::2nd page, look at "new MMO"

there is no [[checkmark]], so it is not an owned IP.:::

It's got to be KOTOR.

The MMOs have the potential to make money, and make money, and make money, and that's all that matters to the people pulling the strings -- you can look forward to something like a million subscribers for a while, at least, which makes up for the enormous production cost, too (I'm guessing KOTOR 1 and 2 made modest, as opposed to sick profit?) The Star Wars brand is excellent, but The last Star Wars MMO wasn't very good, as I understand it -- and everybody wanted to be Jedis. If "Warcraft" had enough brand to bring in PC Gamers, uh...what about Star Wars?

People want to be Jedis and fight Sith in an RPG. They'd probably rather watch a KOTOR TV show, rather than this dramatically inert "between ep. 3 and 4" thing. If Lucasarts wants another MMO ($,$,$) where people can be jedis...who can they turn to? Who would you turn to?

WHY COULDN'T Bioware pull this off? You use 120 people for development for a few years, scale back the team to 70, maybe, who keep adding content...if you could keep the story going ("like a TV show" -- flashes of the Powerpoint presentation inspiring the press release?) with new audio files, character-interactions...all for a subscription fee, it's a license for Lucasarts and Bioware continually print money for three years.

BioWare website says:

looolz2.jpg

You were saying?

KotOR had to many open storylines for it to be made into an MMO. I really don't think it will. If it does though, I'm gonna be angry. KotOR is not fit to become an MMO. It is far to storyline driven, and it would be next to impossible to keep it up to par with the single player games. A Star Wars MMO? After Galaxies? No thanks. And especially don't take KotOR away to do it... Thank you, this has been Knight Revan and I approve this message.

Too many open storylines??? like what? I might not be understanding what you mean by "open storylines" but in Kotor, all you got was Revan's story and little side stories about your companions (which were all closed storylines, if you ask me, thay all had an ending). There was a full fleged war going on and you got abslutely zero information about what else was going on in the galaxy!!! If there is anything that an mmo needs, it's open storylines and IMO, an mmo set during the events of KOTOR would deliver plenty of open storylines/quests that players can finish for themselves if they choose to.

Too many open storylines??? like what? I might not be understanding what you mean by "open storylines" but in Kotor, all you got was Revan's story and little side stories about your companions (which were all closed storylines, if you ask me, thay all had an ending). There was a full fleged war going on and you got abslutely zero information about what else was going on in the galaxy!!! If there is anything that an mmo needs, it's open storylines and IMO, an mmo set during the events of KOTOR would deliver plenty of open storylines/quests that players can finish for themselves if they choose to.

True to a point. I suppose it could be like Guild Wars with it being story line driven. I've just never had that connection with characters from an MMO. If someone dies... I just don't care. I'd admit, a mmo set in the KOTOR time period would be great... AFTER the KOTOR story surrounding Revan and Exile was finished. Like what Warcraft did. Becoming a jedi would actually have to take quite a lot of skill and patience and I'd like the non-Jedi classes to be more prominent and efficient. The options to pick factions... It could be done. Oh, and some epic these... :lsduel:

• 2 weeks later...

well, in game informer magazine this month(which i am sure some of you get), there was an interesting article about obsidian, lucasarts, and pandemic joining up with ea. and in that article there is a sentence from the head of obsidian. it read that they are making a new action rpg and the developer of the project is working with lucasarts and there is a very good chance its going to be kotor 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really news but I figured this was the best thread to have it in.

Anyway, after completely ignoring KotOR III rumours for countless months, I decided to hook myself up to the grapevine once more. There are some surprising developments and I'd like to share my insane theory with the world.

Essentially, we were told a while back that KotOR had not been forgotten and that we would be hearing news soon. When asked in a recent interview, organised by myself and Emperor Devon, Chris Avellone replied to the K3 question with "I can’t answer that, unfortunately, wish I could."

Tinfoil hats aside, it's a different response than the usual party line "We would love to develop it if the chance came up." Avellone's been filling the role of Creative Director on the Aliens RPG... until recently. In November Josh Sawyer (another god of game design simply because he has some interesting theories about how RPGs should work) took over the position, as he says in his blog: Things have been busy at work. I'm adjusting to my new role as creative lead/lead designer on the Aliens project. I'm splitting management, which requires a lot of personal and regular interaction with the other designers, with a bunch of solid writing, which usually requires me to sit alone in my office for hours at a time. It's difficult, but I'm finding the balance. The hardest part is actually letting go of some of the system mechanics, with which I have always been heavily involved on every project. Aliens is an RPG, which seems to cause a lot of heads to explode. It's always seemed like a perfect fit to me, but communicating why I think it's a perfect fit has been more challenging. RPG genre conventions seem absurdly stultifying at times, and in many cases "RPG" seems to be more about checking off a list of required elements than playing with a subset of those elements.

I can only assume this is due to Avellone's lack of creativity (by the way, one of the signs of the apocalypse is when Mr. Avellone runs out of ideas) which he's been angsting about on his MySpace blog. The funny thing is, Avellone's stopped whining and he's got to be working on something so one can only assume that it's on a project that is going well.

I would like to take the leap into the unknown and say, "He's the lead on the unannounced KotOR III." Then again, I happen to be wearing my +5 Rose-Tinted Glasses and my +6 Diplomacy Tinfoil Hat.

Anyway, just thought I'd spew all of that.

The funny thing is, Avellone's stopped whining and he's got to be working on something so one can only assume that it's on a project that is going well.

I would like to take the leap into the unknown and say, "He's the lead on the unannounced KotOR III." Then again, I happen to be wearing my +5 Rose-Tinted Glasses and my +6 Diplomacy Tinfoil Hat.

An interesting intepretation of available info. IMHO it's only really plausible if

A) the LucasArts/BioWare project isn't based on KotOR

OR

B) Obsidian releases KotOR 3 in advance of LucasArts/BioWare releasing a KotOR MMORPG

That's my two cents. But I'm good with Obsidian and Avellone making KotOR 3 if that is what LucasArts has decided to do.

KotOR III rumor at Games Radar/Xbox World 360 Magazine

Knights of the Old Republic 3

After tasting glorious success with the original KOTOR, it could be argued that Bioware had dropped the Ewok when they decided to offload development of the sequel to RPG pals Obsidian (Neverwinter Nights 2). Yet while Obsidian cynically decided to reuse, quite literally, half of the locations in the original without even being arsed to change a single texture, they also concocted a humdinger of a plot that truly forged new gaming ground when it came to issues of muddy morality - even if the ending was a convoluted mess. Interestingly, fans digging into the code have since discovered arguably more satisfying alternative, prolonged endings - presumably left out owing to time constraints.

But what about KOTOR 3? Well, Feargus Urquhart has confirmed his team at Obsidian certainly wants to make it, but much obviously depends upon whether Bioware decides to wrestle back the license or continue to forge ahead with their leading titles, Mass Effect and Jade Empire. Whichever of the two developers is eventually confirmed as KOTOR 3’s parent, what is almost certain is a variation on Effect’s innovative GRAW-like combat system rather than the dated D&D d20 rule set combat that seemed archaic even back in the day.

One thing: EA have recently snapped up Bioware, which complicates things in terms of the Star Wars license (in the UK at least) because all ‘Wars games are published by EA rivals Activision. That said, LucasArts say they’ve struck a deal with Bioware for the Canadian outfit to develop something for them, so whether LucasArts publish Bioware’s Star Wars game via EA or Activision in the UK, Bioware are definitely doing a Star Wars game… and we reckon that’s the long-awaited Star Wars MMO - which means when Obsidian’s KOTOR 3 comes out in 2009, it’ll be against Bioware’s totally online world when their MMO goes live around the same time.

Archived