Renegade Angel

Do you hate bad grammar?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hate bad grammar?

• Yes
    • No
    • You're weird
    • Go away

There's also the case of people who are "lazy". Does putting commas or apostrophes take that long? What about typing "u" instead of "you"? Does hitting two more keys spends so much calories that it will exhaust you?

I think one possibility may be that some people feel "obligated" to go all semi-1337 on us, just because it's the seemingly "in" thing that's going down around the internet. Some people new to the forum scene may think it's the same way. Of course, this illusion would quickly evaporate, but still.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So how exactly does that not help them to communicate better?

There exist techniques and technology to help dyslexic people of all degrees.

All they have to do is take initiative, so yeah anyone can do it if they don't wimp out.

I'd hardly call it "wimping out" if they have genuine difficulties which they are having serious difficulty overcoming.

I'd hardly call it "wimping out" if they have genuine difficulties which they are having serious difficulty overcoming.

Uh, being lazy is wimping out, overcoming mental challenges isn't an easy task, but if you want to get anywhere you have to try hard no matter what challenge you're overcoming. If someone doesn't seriously want to communicate with others, then they really have no business on the internet, especially a forum.

It's not that difficult if you actually try.

You need to stop giving excuses to lazy people to sit behind while they simultaneously whine that they can't talk to people.

I don’t "hate" bad grammar. I myself could use some improvement in that department, but I've always been more worried about syntax and diction. Sometimes I miss-spell words but it's usually due to typos <I type too fast for my own good> rather than actual ignorance.

However, it feels "off" for me to speculate about the grammatical habits of forum members, mainly because I tutor kids <1st/2nd graders>who can barely PRONOUNCE the word "dig" let alone read it. Keep in mind that many of these children have speech impediments, dyslexia, or an ocular disfunction <there are kids who literally have to look through text jumping off the page in 3d>, making it much more difficult for them.

At least all of us can comprehend what it means when you put a few letters together. For me, getting annoyed with other people’s communicative shortcomings feels futile at best.

At least all of us can comprehend what it means when you put a few letters together. For me, getting annoyed with other people’s communicative shortcomings feels futile at best.

It is futile but it still is annoying. I think it helps people to vent out anger to talk about it :)

I have my reasons.

Nobody is perfect, but some are really just lazy. Typing "u" instead of "you" or "y" instead of "why" seems to me that it's plain laziness and a bad excuse to save 0.5 second of your life.

I had someone tell me that it didn't matter and that "it's the internet". It's like someone who's chewing and talking at the same time on the phone. You tell them to stop eating and talking at the same time because it's annoying and they tell you it's just a private conversation not a speech in front of the Congress...

You can still understand what he says, but it's annoying.

There's a lot of people who have problems, either it be dyslexia or coming from a non-english speaking country, but the others have no excuse for posting like they're IMing.

@Liayd, why would a poster care about being taken seriously?

Does everyone need that much acceptance?

Is it an area for debate and discussion or a spelling bee?

I know I'd pay more attention to someone with food in their mouth and an interesting take on the topic to someone who posts just to use periods.

[ot] If I ever spoke at congress, I probably would chew with my mouth open, that would be one for the books:D[/ot]

@Liayd, why would a poster care about being taken seriously?

Does everyone need that much acceptance?

Is it an area for debate and discussion or a spelling bee?

You do realize that credibility in a debate also is linked to how others perceive you. If you're debating with bad spelling, chances you'll be taken seriously aren't very high.

I know I'd pay more attention to someone with food in their mouth and an interesting take on the topic to someone who posts just to use periods.

Of course you'll pay more attention. You'll need to if you want to decifer what they have to say.

sooo, by your logic, a genius with a speech impediment doesn't merit the same respect as a smooth talker;)

Personally I feel the forum needs more funk,

LIKE THAT OLD APPLE COMMERCIAL!!!

Look I happen to have brought a hammer, maybe we can get one of the forum girls to smash their spellcheck with it:lol:

sooo, by your logic, a genius with a speech impediment doesn't merit the same respect as a smooth talker;)

If the genius doesn't provide the effort to be clear, then no he doesn't. Note that if he has a speech impediment, it becomes a special case, like I said with people with Dyslexia or who are not from English speaking country.

Someone who can spell but spews crap is still an idiot, but someone who spews crap and can't spell is even worse.

sooo, what if some people enjoy spewing crap, the way I see it is it takes more effort to understand a poorly written post, brain cell strength training:D

Some times I read through a thread and the mosts just look like a conversation between 5 Datas having a conversation with 3 Picards,

Posts are easier to finish when there's some extra personality to them;)

C'mon admit it, if idiots like me won't post the way we are it wasn't going to be as fun around here;)

And to top it off, if us spellcheck rebels stopped, who would you have left to throw a tantrum over, spammers...oh please the pathetic weaklings.

Would you just try the freedom of not giving a tiny comma's hyphen for just one day, you know you'll like it:D

I absolutely LOATHE anyone who doesn't spell correctly. It annoys me so much.... I mean.... c'mon! How do they expect to get through college with such horrid language art skills!?

"Uses four dots to end half of the sentences, forgot to caps one of the sentences, overpunctuates by using both an an exclamation mark and a question mark."

Anyway, I voted yes.

I correct 30 persons a day in my school, in both swedish, english, and spanish, and at home, I correct as many.

sooo, what if some people enjoy spewing crap, the way I see it is it takes more effort to understand a poorly written post, brain cell strength training:D

"Hello everyone, I enjoy spewing crap and encouraging others to do the same. I'm proud of my annoying behavior, won't you join me?"

I dont care if you want to intentionally act like an idiot <hey you said it> but dont try to get other poeple to act that way was well. I may make some clerical errors, but I would NEVER endorse/encourage people to use poor grammar on purpose.

Besides, you're implying that if a person has excellent grammar skills they are stiff and artificial. Languege was created to communicate efficiently and gracefully. Without grammar this wouldn't be possible, as I'm sure you well know.

No one should have to "decipher" what you're saying to find the "real" meaning behind it. This doesn’t fly in the real world so why should it be ok when posing in a forum?

If you have a condition or are new to English I could understand <Has anyone here ever heard me speak Français? Haha.> It’s been said, but I think this is mostly about being lazy. Sad, because for the most part those who genuinely struggle with it are way more motivated to improve than you.

I think we have to make a distinction, and it's been alluded to above, between mistakes and wilful neglect. The way some people claim to 'hate' bad grammar / spelling suggests that they won't tolerate typos and are ready to pounce upon anyone who accidentally types 'neccessary' or doesn't capitalise the beginning of every sentence. To be honest, I think it's absurd to expect people to spell-check their post or even proof-read with any great deliberation. As long as I get the picture, I'm not bothered about minor errors.

Which brings me to those people who clearly aren't trying because attempting to understand their posts requires far more concentration than I'm willing to give to a forum (yes, even LF) though of course concession is given to those who have a reason for not having a solid grasp of English. LIAYD talks about "u" and "y" and, to be honest, I'm not as adverse to this as he is; I can understand what's being said, anyone can, but it is the start of a slippery slope towards real laziness / mutilation leading to '1337 speak' and similar sins.

I believe that the fact we are on a forum on the internet does allow some relaxation of spelling and punctuation and that, while it might be okay to disregard somebody who makes typos in a letter or an essay, etc., it shouldn't be the case that the same attitude is taken here.

Moral of the story: the level of adherence to the rules of English in order to attain credibility is not as high here as it might be elsewhere. Theres no need for u to get flustered about wether or not you've typed everything correctly, ppl should still read your posts and give them due atention. just dont start missing out words and begin reducing urself to 1337. ;)

I think 'hate' is far too strong a term. I'm certainly not willing to exert the energy to hate bad grammar. I dislike it, find it annoying, etc. but hate? No.

Same thing with me... I really don't see why do you people make such a fuss about it.

It is annoying, but you'll have to accept it, just like I accept that I am a bad drawer and a lazy sob.

Oh! One other thing: If I, who doesn't come from an Engilsh-speaking country (in my country the language is based on phonetic transcription), I am pretty sure that most of you can understand what anyone says.

(Related Question: How many languages does each and every one of you speak again? I am pretty sure that's it's not a problem to understand what someone says)

I find it funny when a person whom is not a native English speaker can write, or speak, better than someone born in a primarily English speaking country./QUOTE]

Damn right! Now hail Sabretooth!

>_> <_< >_<

Anyways, I hate bad grammar, since this is an english/1337 forum, people who use these languages might as well perfect them. Of course, not everyone can do it, but as IS said, they should atleast try...

Note: Can anyone modify vB3 to add a spelling/grammar thingie in it?

i dont 'hate' it exactly. but i dont like it. and i think LIAYD mentioned that ppl who type u instead of you and y instead of why are lazy. let me point out to you that not all of us enjoy spending 5 minutes in one post just to make it error-proof. you yourself have done that sometimes and you never capitalise your sentences. nor do i of course but i dont go around jabbing at ppl for bad grammar.

and 1337 talk, although can get annoying sometimes, i dunno, i think its good.

<-<

>->

*gets a squishy tomato thrown in face*

but nothing can outdo this code:

luminara cave sforzando orange umbrella sister s gobble odd.

i will give a million dollars to whoever can figure that out.

MUHAHAHAHA!!

(Related Question: How many languages does each and every one of you speak again? I am pretty sure that's it's not a problem to understand what someone says)

Three.

ppl

And people who type ppl instead of people are lazy as well.

And...

luminara cave sforzando orange umbrella sister s gobble odd.

=

Luminara caves for Zando's orange umbrella sister is gobble odd?

I don't think that my posts are so readable. Every once in a while I get lost in my writing and I forget what I wanted to say.

If you thought that I was going to whine like a weakling just because of that, then you were wrong. I didn't whine when I was called a hypocrite, I didn't whine when I was added to someones ignore list, I didn't whine when I was called ignorant and stupid; and I'm no going to whine if I am hated (especially the last one because I got used to it).

Your posts are perfectly readable, as a matter of fact...

I couldn't find anything to correct there, and no one is disliked here.

Uh, being lazy is wimping out, overcoming mental challenges isn't an easy task, but if you want to get anywhere you have to try hard no matter what challenge you're overcoming. If someone doesn't seriously want to communicate with others, then they really have no business on the internet, especially a forum.

It's not that difficult if you actually try.

You need to stop giving excuses to lazy people to sit behind while they simultaneously whine that they can't talk to people.

It may not have yet registered with you yet, IS, but it is possible to try hard and still fail. Ask Albert Einstein about that one.

It may not have yet registered with you yet, IS, but it is possible to try hard and still fail. Ask Albert Einstein about that one.

True, but not in this case. If you are dyslexic, but can read , you're capable of figuring a way to communicate properly.

All dyslexia is, is your brain processing things in a different order, all you have to do is put things back together. And depending on the severity of your case, they have all kinds of programs to help you.

True, but not in this case. If you are dyslexic, but can read , you're capable of figuring a way to communicate properly.

All dyslexia is, is your brain processing things in a different order, all you have to do is put things back together. And depending on the severity of your case, they have all kinds of programs to help you.

I suppose, but really what kind of stuff is available varies from place to place, as do the requirements to qualify for such help. Sometimes it's not even available.

You make the reprocessing sound easy, but as someone who was thought of as dyslexic for a long time (found out recently that I'm actually dyspraxic), I always found that no matter how hard I tried, my maths was always wrong. I always confused or mixed up the process so the end result was off, regardless of my attempts, which then made me lazy.

I have to admit that at first I voted for, “I hate it,” however, reading through all these posts has made me re-evaluate my standing on that decision. I would have to say that I am indifferent to bad grammar. I am (You do know that it is actually incorrect to use I’m outside of speech) just amused by the fact we have all these people here saying they hate bad grammar when they themselves are providing me with endless mistakes.

I could list them all but I’m not going to as I know that there are errors in my own posts, including this one. The one that does annoy, however, is, “I wouldn’t say I ‘hate it’..” You are supposed to announce speech or quotation, or anything of that sort, with a comma. And then you are supposed to end it with a comma or full-stop (Depending on the circumstances) inside the quotation marks. But I wont continue with this as I know I am no, “Grammar god,” (Except in my English essays where I have never managed to drop a mark) but I just think people should check their own grammar before commenting on other grammar.

About the English language, it is a very odd language. It has some very odd roots and the English have a very strange habit of taking foreign words, changing their pronunciation, and not their spelling! Another thing, when people use, “?!” it is only due to the lack of an interrobang key. I have made many mistakes in the past on forums and on the internet mainly because it is the internet… (I’m sorry an ellipsis just seemed to make it feel better)

Archived