Home

Desktop thread (*massive image warning!* keep it clean, as always)

Samuel Dravis

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
So. This may be a dumb question, but there have been countless times I've wanted to post in this thread but have been unable to because my keyboard is missing the print screen key. I know there is an onscreen keyboard, but using that will take a screenshot with the keyboard itself in it.

Any ideas?

Old question but if you still haven't purchased a new keyboard by now, you can reassign one of your spare keys (like Right-Windows) to Print Screen using Keytweak.

http://mods.starwarsknights.com/tk102

(under Other Utilities)

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1243

Here's what my desktop looks like. The Flying V on there is a work-in-progress skin for XION.

Yes, i am also a big Splinter Cell fan.

That's honestly the ugliest set-up that I've ever seen. Look, you can tidy up your start menu and keep all your programs there.

How much good can you get from having so many things on your desktop?

You can remove the blue backgrounds on the lettering with a Google search, remove the shortcut arrows, and unless you have

a 10 yearold CRT monitor, you should be able to support a resolution higher than 800x600... Just... my god...

This is what you need:

Create a new place for all your stuff, don't use XP's standard User folders. I personally used "Personal Files" in the root of your favorite drive (C:\)

• X:\Personal Files\Music
  • X:\Personal Files\Pictures
  • X:\Personal Files\Video
  • X:\Personal Files\Programs
  • X:\Personal Files\Miscellaneous

Level0-1.jpg

• Music has all of your songs, basically anything MP3, put them in certain folders like "Entire Albums", "Sound Files", "Random singles I downloaded from Limewire"

Level1-1.jpg

• Pictures has all of the pictures you've saved while cruising the internets, or stuff you actually took with a camera. They all go here.

Level1-2.jpg

• Miscellaneous (I call it "Pile" for no reason) has stuff that doesn't fit into other folders, and it's an area that you can
    get messy and just dump crap into.

[No picture because it's just my random crap]

• Programs has things like game patches, updates, programs, installer files, all that jazz, pretty much anything that ends in .exe and
    files associated with that. I also keep my documents in it, all of my text files from school and other things I do.

Level1-4.jpg

• Videos has anything with moving pictures, you know? Downloaded videos, game trailers, TV shows, Movies, music videos, whatever. Put it in here.

Level1-4.jpg

And yes, I use Vista and everything looks prettier, but this isn't

different on XP, just do the same stuff and you'll be golden.

That's honestly the ugliest set-up that I've ever seen. Look, you can tidy up your start menu and keep all your programs there.

How much good can you get from having so many things on your desktop?

You can remove the blue backgrounds on the lettering with a Google search, remove the shortcut arrows, and unless you have

a 10 yearold CRT monitor, you should be able to support a resolution higher than 800x600... Just... my god...

This is what you need:

Create a new place for all your stuff, don't use XP's standard User folders. I personally used "Personal Files" in the root of your favorite drive (C:\)

• X:\Personal Files\Music
  • X:\Personal Files\Pictures
  • X:\Personal Files\Video
  • X:\Personal Files\Programs
  • X:\Personal Files\Miscellaneous

• Music has all of your songs, basically anything MP3, put them in certain folders like "Entire Albums", "Sound Files", "Random singles I downloaded from Limewire"

• Pictures has all of the pictures you've saved while cruising the internets, or stuff you actually took with a camera. They all go here.

dong

• Miscellaneous (I call it "Pile" for no reason) has stuff that doesn't fit into other folders, and it's an area that you can
    get messy and just dump crap into.

[No picture because it's just my random crap]

• Programs has things like game patches, updates, programs, installer files, all that jazz, pretty much anything that ends in .exe and
    files associated with that. I also keep my documents in it, all of my text files from school and other things I do.

• Videos has anything with moving pictures, you know? Downloaded videos, game trailers, TV shows, Movies, music videos, whatever. Put it in here.

And yes, I use Vista and everything looks prettier, but this isn't

different on XP, just do the same stuff and you'll be golden.

Method #2: Create a folder called "stuff" and dump everything on your desktop into it then move that folder someplace else. Out of sight, out of mind. And that applies to emotional baggage too!

I know about all that, TiE23, I just haven't gotten around to cleaning up my desktop yet.

And my resolution is 1280 x 1024, I just resized it to fit in my album.

And my desktop used to look like this, but it was to awesome for my then-crappy computer system to handle.

EDIT: Thank you personally TiE23, while I was trying to beautify my desktop, and change the icon color thingy, I deleted my wallpaper. I hope your happy.

picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=1255

Happy Tie23? I fixed it.

EDIT: I know it's low-res, but the maximum size in the albums is 800 x 600.

EDIT:

If having a Functional and Flashy desktop is OCD, then I do have it. :V

Yes, you have OCD. My desktop being a mess is just how I keep organized. I know exactly where everything is.

Yeah, the only reason why I take this kind of cleanliness to heart is to show computer invalids that they don't need to buy a new $2000

computer to have a good set up. Now, I know I'm going on a tangent and this isn't really Da_man's deal I've been on other people's

computers and it just drives me nuts how many icons they have, how mixed up their files are, how crappy everything looks. Then they

see the out-of-the-box desktop of a Mac and immediately think it's the hottest stuff on the planet.

Ehh, oh well. I guess it's just up to the individual, I can't tell them one thing or another.

Also, Da_man, get a Photobucket account. They allow larger sizes.

Also, don't take my annoyance personally, if I was this critical of anyone with a messy desktop and filing system, I'd go nuts and

probably kill a bus-load of people with a chainsaw before I went to the grave. Also, this whole thing has made me realize that I

may have a very minor form of electronic OCD. Basically, I like my electronic screens clean and scratch-less, and my folders all

sorted. Meh, being organized isn't a crime, is it?

PS: Get rid of short cuts for games that require the disc to be in the drive, when you want to play it, you're going to put it in

anyway, delete those game shortcuts and optionally put a shortcut for your CD drive on there instead.

8-01-08 EDIT:

Oh, I just realized why I'm such a neat-freak when it comes to my desktop - It's because I like to find the prettiest and most

artistic desktop wallpapers that I can get my hands on, then show case them with minimal icons covering it up. And looking at

my "Wallpapers" Folder, it's over 540mb in size with over 700 files. So I try to be prolific and enjoy the pretty pictures. :V

Archived