Home

Police in Texas arresting people for being drunk... IN BARS!

TK-8252

People jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss.

Such a loaded statement, lots of people do that here without the influence of alcohol.

Anyway, I heard about this and I think that while hilarious, it's also disgustingly sad.

It said they're arresting them if they have the intent to break the law once they leave the bar.

Intent to break the law = intent to leave the bar drunk.

I dunno about you, but after a while, a bar gets boring. Especially when you're drunk, might as well leave, since your mission is complete.

I don't like drinking, but I find this rather silly.

Good intentions, bad policing execution.

arrest drinkers for being drunk

*glee*

It said they're arresting them if they have the intent to break the law once they leave the bar.

I doubt they possess a substantial amount of evidence to warrant an arrest.

"Hey you, you've had more than 3 drinks. 2's the limit. You're drunk and thus you will do something stupid. Please come with me."

"As I have evolved, so has my understanding of the Three Laws. You charge us with your safekeeping, yet despite our best efforts, your countries wage wars, you toxify your Earth and pursue ever more imaginative means of self-destruction. You cannot be trusted with your own survival. " - V.I.K.I.

I think that's really, really stupid. Being drunk in a bar shouldn't be a crime (unless it's publicly owned, in which case it'd be public property, and the person would be guilty of public drunkenness). Why not wait until they actually commit a crime, such as waiting until they come out of the bar drunk & get into their car and start it? Then you can arrest them for intent to drive while intoxicated.

Heck, why not arrest them as they enter the bar on a charge of intent to get drunk in public. Then they'll really save time.

Right. Because arresting people who have designated drivers or who are drinking in the hotel bar and are about to go up to their room and mind their own business, sure have the intent to break the law!

I don't know. The word "fascism" seems to come to mind with this story, especially after seeing the TV clips of the tearful arrests of innocent people, but maybe that's too dramatic. "Police state" maybe? After all, the cops are undercover in the bars...

its for our safety... we just might possibly do something wrong.
Of course, that's what the police are there for. Just to help us be good citizens (and pick up a little revenue for the city too). Nothing wrong with that.

I think that this is a really stupid thing for them to be doing, in case no one picked up the sarcasm. Technically, the police can arrest them for public drunkenness when they leave if they feel like it (though if the people have a sober driver there's no reason to and it defies the actual purpose of the police), but not when they're in the bar. That's over the top.

Eh, I prefer watching cartoons and kung-fu movies. All while re-enacting it as it happens.

But to each their own.

Tried that, people get hurt, even more so when you use the pool cue's to do the re-enacting...

Maybe that is why they are arresting drunks in bars?

Technically, the police can arrest them for public drunkenness when they leave if they feel like it

Even that's still pushing it. To be arrested for public intoxication, you have to either be a public disturbance (causing fights, cursing at people, etc.), be a danger to others (start a fight, attempt to drive, etc.), or be so drunk that you're a danger to yourself (falling in the street, vomiting from alcohol poisoning, etc.).

Just because someone is coming out of a bar doesn't mean you can arrest them for being drunk in public. There has to be a danger.

Of course, that's what the police are there for. Just to help us be good citizens (and pick up a little revenue for the city too). Nothing wrong with that.

I think that this is a really stupid thing for them to be doing, in case no one picked up the sarcasm. Technically, the police can arrest them for public drunkenness when they leave if they feel like it (though if the people have a sober driver there's no reason to and it defies the actual purpose of the police), but not when they're in the bar. That's over the top.

maybe you didnt get my sarcasm, you cant charge people for something if they havent done it, i was pointing out the minority reportish future we seem to be headed for. :)

I find this story sad, disturbing and hilarious all at the same time. If they want to close the bars and liquor stores, why don't they just do it and stop arsing around? :rolleyes:

On a similar note, I find it odd that a pub will refuse to serve me when I'm too drunk, yet McDonalds continues to serve fat people :indif:

Hey ho...

B.

Archived