Home

Two Fetuses Removed From 2 Month Old...

Lady Jedi

Click

These fetus-in-fetu cases really facinate me. I think it's sad that the other fetus has died, but it's so incredible how the other child lives so healthily.

There was a case in England where the doctors found the one fetus being taken over by the other one and were able to separate the two, and the strong one developed perfectly. So intriguing.

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - Surgeons operated on a 2-month-old Pakistani girl Tuesday to remove two fetuses that had grown inside her while she was still in her mother's womb, a doctor said.

"It is extremely rare to have two fetuses being discovered inside another," Abbasi told The Associated Press, adding that he did not know what caused the medical abnormality. "Basically, it's a case of triplets, but two of the siblings grew in the other."

Saw a bit of a tv programme a few nights ago about a 75 year old woman who had to have an operation to have a 46 year old baby removed. Freaky.

Apparently she had had an ectopic pregnancy (where the baby grows outside the womb) 46 years ago and had never delivered the baby. It grew to full term by tapping into her internal organs for blood.

Fetuses are evil...

I think it's interesting, but in a sort of masochistic kind of way. I watched a video of something gross once (huge cyst thing), and it was interesting, but then I never wanted to think about it again... nasty. :(

I wonder if they will tell the kid when she grows up. "Yeah, you had your two dead siblings in you for two months when you were a baby. Ah, those were the days."

Her reaction: :eek:

Saw a bit of a tv programme a few nights ago about a 75 year old woman who had to have an operation to have a 46 year old baby removed. Freaky.

Apparently she had had an ectopic pregnancy (where the baby grows outside the womb) 46 years ago and had never delivered the baby. It grew to full term by tapping into her internal organs for blood.

Fetuses are evil...

Wow. On the Discovery Channel, they showed a man who was like 40 and he looked like he was pregnant. And they investigated and he had surgery and it turned out that it was a fetus.

Sorta creppy.....

Yeah, I saw that one a while ago. I can't imagine having a fetus inside me for so long and not do anything about it. :(

Here's another case. I saw the show on Discovery about that boy. It was pretty amazing.

Basically as the cells start to form layers to be implanted in the uterus, they enentually curl over which makes a cylinder, the center of which will be the abdomen. With the fetus-in-fetu cases, when the tissue of one fetus is curling over it wraps around the other, trapping it in the center, which is why the fetus is always in the abdominal area. Fascinating.

I think it's interesting, but in a sort of masochistic kind of way. I watched a video of something gross once (huge cyst thing), and it was interesting, but then I never wanted to think about it again... nasty. :(

Then you should quit thinking about it, silly! :p

Heh. On the Discovery show about the boy in that link they actually showed the other fetus; that was somewhat disturbing, I gotta say. :p

*Flashback of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"*

Remember when the main character's Mother was talking about how they found her undeveloped twin living in her neck? I thought it may have just been a joke added in but after seeing this... maybe it was true? The movie's based on a true story after all...

I'm assuming the "baby" died as a result of this, this begs the question did they have the right to remove it? it is like the abortion debate only they are killing a 46 year old. I admit it is unlikely but what if the baby was alive, and I'm not just talking in the medical sense here, what if the baby was self aware. were they really right to end its life?

Anyway, that is quite freaky just think anyone of you could have a featus inside you....

I'm assuming the "baby" died as a result of this, this begs the question did they have the right to remove it? it is like the abortion debate only they are killing a 46 year old. I admit it is unlikely but what if the baby was alive, and I'm not just talking in the medical sense here, what if the baby was self aware. were they really right to end its life?

As far as I know, the baby would have been dead at that point, and, in a sense, mummified (something similar happens with twin pregnancies in horses). If it had indeed grown to full term, which is extremely rare with ectopic pregnancies, and had been discovered while still alive, I believe it could be removed in a way similar to cesarian section.

As for the right to remove it if it was alive: With ectopic pregnancies, the fetus is typically in a place where it doesn't have room to develop without fatally harming the mother, therefore the fetus would die as well. Whether it's right or wrong is for you to decide, and I don't think it should be discussed in the Swamp. It would be rather interesting in the Senate Chambers however. ;)

Originally Posted byMr Wally

*Flashback of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"*

Remember when the main character's Mother was talking about how they found her undeveloped twin living in her neck? I thought it may have just been a joke added in but after seeing this... maybe it was true? The movie's based on a true story after all...

Heh. Yeah, rather than a fetus-in-fetu, that's really just a conjoined twin that didn't develop. It's way more common than you'd think, and they are typically removed at birth, since they have no chance of ever living. Crazy stuff, huh? :D

I'm getting the feeling that I'm the only one here not totally creeped out by this stuff. :p

As for the right to remove it if it was alive: With ectopic pregnancies, the fetus is typically in a place where it doesn't have room to develop without fatally harming the mother, therefore the fetus would die as well. Whether it's right or wrong is for you to decide, and I don't think it should be discussed in the Swamp. It would be rather interesting in the Senate Chambers however. ;)
It seems to me that you get into questions of wrong and right when you can actually do something about a situation, and not before. That would be fun to talk about...

I'm getting the feeling that I'm the only one here not totally creeped out by this stuff. :p
Ah, yep, probably true. Though 'creeped out' does not fit as good as 'disturbed,' which I prefer because it sounds pretentious. :)

"Mommy, where do babies come from?"

"Well you see, my little toms, theres..."

:p

My mom said she saw that show on the discovery channel about the guy, and said the fetus they took out of him that they showed disturbed her. Makes me glad I didn't watch :p

Archived