Dagobahn Eagle

Does Uplink appeal to you?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Does Uplink appeal to you?

• Love it! Bought the full game!
    • Loved the demo!
    • Fair enough.
    • Really, really stupid.
    • I'm an idiot (read: Never heard of it, don't want to try it)

This site gets you started, and then no data is safe!

But before you ban me for hacking-related posts, it might be an idea to check the link. We're talking about a computer game.

Uplink is the first game I've ever heard of - possibly the first ever, to revolve around hacking. As a member of a global E-Mafia (for lack of a better term), you are to hack into everything from academies to research facilities. Delete files, alter grades, change someone's criminal record - and then erase all traces that you ever were there. As you progress, you'll be given money, experience points, and more difficult missions.

The best part of the game's the intensity. You have this trace-tracking bar in the bottom corner of the screen, and a regular beeping that grows more and more frequent as the security team of your prey comes closer and closer to revealing your location. It's akin to being in a sub and hearing the "pinging" of the enemy's sonar on the surface above you.

Although the visuals aren't so great (as they don't need to be), I've always held that graphics are over-rated. I recommend this game to anyone who loves "puzzle-style" RPG/strategy games that make you think a little.

If no one's heard of this one either, I'm leaving the Swamp permanently in search for a more enlightened crowd:mad:.

So if we never heard of Introversion Software, we are idiots? Nice! Great way to win over a conversation....good luck with that one. :rolleyes:

Also, look at the poll. If we never heard of it nor do we want to try it, we're idiots.

Real mature :rolleyes:

Uplink is the first game I've ever heard of - possibly the first ever, to revolve around hacking.

Meh. They're been plenty, some even stretching back to DOS. I recall a line of excellent DOS games based on hacking, where you can hack major corporations and stuff. It was really very cool for it's time, something like Half-Life 2 released in 1999.

If no one's heard of this one either, I'm leaving the Swamp permanently in search for a more enlightened crowd:mad:.

Good Luck. You'll need it.

I'll go look into the game and see if it's anything.

You should actually try that, Silent Hunter 3 can get intense. [/utterly useless post]

Tried it, loved it, downloaded all patches as well as RuB and SH3 Commander. I'll get the GreyWolves SuperMod' as soon as possible, and I can't wait for SH4.

/OT;)

Meh. They're been plenty, some even stretching back to DOS. I recall a line of excellent DOS games based on hacking, where you can hack major corporations and stuff. It was really very cool for it's time, something like Half-Life 2 released in 1999.

OK, sorry. Do you remember what it was called?

Good Luck. You'll need it.

I fear as much:p.

OK, some more experience with the demo. I've gotten started with what I think is the main plot (a hacker warns the community of ARC and is then murdered), and I'm getting the hang of the game itself somehow.

It does certainly have its faults, most of them UI-related, but it's still big fun, I think. It gets slightly monotone at times, though.

My roommate raved about this game about four years ago. I watched him play it. Neat concept for a game, and quite original. I never did play it myself, but maybe I will one of these days. I have such a backlog of games I want to play and I just haven't had time yet...

Thanks for reminding me of this one, I just was thinking of it when I saw the title!

It got great reviews a few years back... i always meant to try and pick it up cheap somewhere but never got around to it.

Still, charging £19.99 for it is a bit if a rip when you consider it is a 4 year old game. £9.99 and i might buy it.

I definately want to try Darwinia (by the same people) and that Defcon game looks cool.

Still, charging £19.99 for it is a bit if a rip when you consider it is a 4 year old game. £9.99 and i might buy it.
That's the problem with small-time developers. They tend to (have to) over-charge games a lot.

Darwinia costs $20, for example, and it's such as simplistic game it should've cost about $10 or even $5. Good title, but way too short for a $20 price tag.

• 4 months later...

I'm having to bump this thread because I started playing Uplink again, and it is just awesome. I cracked this guy's password and transferred 900,000 bucks to my own bank account. It's a bit of irony since I was originally hired to track the guy's bank account activity, so I got his money AND still got paid.

I suggest people give the demo a try, and if you like it, support Introversion and buy it from their website (selling for $17.50).

Here's something I found interesting:

Hmm, interesting.

What could this be?

DIE!

I'm not interested in this particular game, sorry.

I own and have finished Darwinia

I pre-ordered and am waiting for Defcon to come out tomorrow afternoon.

Archived