Home

Do you think the world will end in 2012?

Fredi

Well people I have always have the dough the there will be a end ... I mean I know there will be a end but I don’t think it will be soon.

The Mayas thought that the world will end in 2012, some revelations of Nostradamus says that this are sings of the end of the world and other cultures believe too that the world will end in 2012 .... But a friend of mine said to me ... "I don’t think the world will end in 2012 but I think the Christianity will end to that time" ... weird but well....

Tell me what you think. (I will say what I think after a few posts)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard that the Mayan calendar 2012 doesn't actually refer to the world ending, but perhaps a new type of cycle beginning. Problem w/Nostradamus is that you can interpret him a zillion different ways, but ALWAYS w/some kind of 20/20 hindsight. The world will end when it does, civilization is another matter entirely.

Uhhh no it won't. Maybe if a modern scientist with proof when the world will end says so, then I might trust that. But Mayas? How the hell did they figure it out? Do they have expensive computer systems and research labs and **** like that?

With the Mayan bit it means of an age. This was done because what we call the Classic Maya had this nice thing called the long count. It goes by days and with it, archaeologists have actually been able to figure out which rulers were born when. The end of the age thing also comes from an ancient Mesoamerican concept called the calendar round. They had a 365 day solar calendar and a 280 day lunar/ceremonial calendar. The two are put together like cogs and say starts at 1 Reed on the day of the reed. A complete round is 52 years. The last few days of the 52 years are extremely touchy for if noting is done right then the world ends. It just illustrates the cyclical nature in life.

As to the acual end in the world, I maintain the Christian version where first Israel shall enjoy an uneasy peace and then she will be attacked from the north by the allies of Persia, Libya and Ethiopia also those from the land of Gog. Israel will not be harmed. Then of course Tribulation after the Rapture. The Antichrist will come and shall reign with the help of the Beast. He will be charismatic and persuade the people to follow him and one day he will sit upon his throne and declare himself a god. I could go into more but that would be spoiling the whole thing. Just read Revelation and Tribulation is all laid out.

Nostradamus is full of crap. Only his vaguest 'prophecies' have been correct. Hister? Bah.

As for the 2012 Mayan Calendar, well, what the hell did the Mayans know, anyway? I find it much more likely they just didn't care about something that far in the future.

Nostradamus was supposed to have said that the world would end in 2001. Newton predicted that the world would end in 2060 by mucking about with adding up all the letters in the New Testament and dividing by the number of Apostles and all that bull.

The world will end when it ends.

As for civilisation? That ended with the reign of Ramses IXth.

No, it won't end. There's been lots of people claiming it would end at X date for a long time now. No one has been right so far, and as far as I can tell the claims you mention aren't any different evidence-wise.

You heard it from me first:

The world will end in 5,000,000,2007 CE. The world will burn to a crisp as the Sun gets hungry and eats it up. :)

As for the 2012 Mayan Calendar, well, what the hell did the Mayans know, anyway? I find it much more likely they just didn't care about something that far in the future.

They knew plenty. Within the New World, they were the only group to have the comprehension of zero, the absence of value. I wouldn't gip these ancient peoples. A lot of the things that we have in this world because of them are lost techniques. My favorite are the huge basalt Olmec heads that were obtained 80 miles away down a river and through jungle.

How is "the world will end" to be defined?

As I said, the world will under go a great Tribulation, a series of judgments as a final attempt to bring the stragglers to God. It is a series of 21 Judgments, the Seal, the Trumpet and the Vial with the last being the worst. The first 14 are called the Wrath of the Lamb whereas the Vial Judgments are called the Wrath of God. It's all in Revelation after John is instructed to write a letter to each of the seven churches.

Sorry to not share your religious sense, although what JM12 mentioned sounds interesting, but I believe the world will end due to our actions, we are going to screw up so bad one day that the whole world will die because of it.

As for prophecies, I think the persons that say and write them do not know the future, but are trying to influece it by giving a person an idea, because it only takes ONE person to change the world.

Corinthian: Again it comes from the cyclical nature of things in their belief system. Part of it I believe is also related to the environment. The Basin of Mexico is ringed by volcanoes and when those babies erupt, you get the earthquakes and the fire from the sky. Aztecan belief is that this fifth Age, the Age of balance and harmony with end in which the earth will be consumed by earthquakes and volcanic eruptions and then there will be silence. The actual account is very similar to other stories in particular Revelation. Of course that was because I was doing mythological comparison.

Archived