Home

Peter Jackson to produce "The Hobbit"

Oh this is great news. I would never be satisfied with a Hobbit movie unless Peter Jackson was at the helm.

In the article it says they're making The Hobbit and a sequel to The Hobbit, so he didn't mean the Hobbit was a sequel to LotR, they're making 2 movies. Sounds great if you ask me!

They probly didn't want to end up with some massively long 4 hour movie. He probly also wants to keep the fans happier and include some of the various smaller things that might get cut out by shortening the Hobbit to one movie.

I wonder if they'll have the same actors for Bilbo, Gandalf and Elrond?

I've thought about that and personally I can't see the actor that played Bilbo in LotR starring in The Hobbit. I know they used him in the one flashback scene where he finds the ring in Gollum's cave but I just think they need someone different. So I'm kind of hoping they'll cast someone else for Bilbo. But I definitely want Ian McKellen and Hugo Weaving to return as their respective roles.

I thought that Jackson didn't want to produce the movie, as stated on the article and that it would damage the LOTR trilogy, frankly, I don't want to see a movie about "The Hobbit", it should stay just a book, but if Peter Jackson does it right, then I'll go watch 'em.

But wans't Peter Jackson doing some project with Bungie about the Halo Universe?? ( I hope it's already done and ready to come out next year)

I've never read "The Hobbit", and I didn't think it was that popular in comparison with the other three books. I'm a little surprised Jackson would produce this movie.

@JoeDoe 2.0: There's some uncertainty about the future of the movie. Some (like Blomkamp - the director) say it's canceled, others (like Jackson) say it's still being worked on.

Oh goody more Tolkien writings that PJ can screwup.

Well, I think PJ did an acceptable job in LotR. Granted it is not entirely following the book, but we KNOW that if everything is pushed to the screen there would be at least 6 f hours movies... with poems every 5 minutes... It would mind as well also be shown on discovery channel for History and Geography.

Plus, Nicely done elf chicks, and nice work on the quenya.

Maybe they should make real hotels out of hobbiton this time after the movies...

Personally I would rather see sotries like Lovew story of Baran and Luthien, or even some sixth ages stuff but I guess that would be pushing it a bit...

Well, I think PJ did an acceptable job in LotR. Granted it is not entirely following the book, but we KNOW that if everything is pushed to the screen there would be at least 6 f hours movies... with poems every 5 minutes... It would mind as well also be shown on discovery channel for History and Geography.

Plus, Nicely done elf chicks, and nice work on the Quenya.

Maybe they should make real hotels out of Hobbiton this time after the movies...

Personally I would rather see stories like love story of Beren and Luthien, or even some sixth ages stuff but I guess that would be pushing it a bit...

I had no problems with some of the cut content. My biggest complaint is with the way they changed some of the characters. Both in their lines (i.e. giving Faramir lines to to Eowyn) and what motivates them/how they are portrayed. The Return of the King had so many plot holes you could drive a lot of 18 wheelers through them.

There is no way Christopher Tolkien will give up any more film rights.

@JoeDoe 2.0: There's some uncertainty about the future of the movie. Some (like Blomkamp - the director) say it's canceled, others (like Jackson) say it's still being worked on.

Exactly of which movie are you talking about?? the HALO movie? that has been cancelled due to lack of funds, I was talking about a mystery project between Peter Jackson and Bungie, not the Halo movie.

I had no problems with some of the cut content. My biggest complaint is with the way they changed some of the characters. Both in their lines (i.e. giving Faramir lines to to Eowyn) and what motivates them/how they are portrayed. The Return of the King had so many plot holes you could drive a lot of 18 wheelers through them.
I love the books, and I would be happy if the Hobbit gets the same level of effort that the LOTR received...

I had no problems with some of the cut content. My biggest complaint is with the way they changed some of the characters. Both in their lines (i.e. giving Faramir lines to to Eowyn) and what motivates them/how they are portrayed. The Return of the King had so many plot holes you could drive a lot of 18 wheelers through them..

I agree on that part... The swapping of lines and the over use of Arwen kinda made me mad at first. But, apart from that, the movies were great - despite the lack of Tom Bombadil.

It could have been much worse.. I.e. Hollywood style LOTR - Imagine the horror...

Yeah, overall, much as I liked the books...Tolkein isn't the greatest writer out there, great story-teller to be sure though. PJ IMO smoothed out a great deal of the mindless "stuff" Tolkein put in his books. There's a lot of less of that in the Hobbit to be sure, so I'm expecting a much more direct translation with fewer liberties taken.

Archived