Home

The XWA One Year Thread III: Revenge of the Sh*t

Ikhnaton

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i guess it is the motherboard. so i have to order a few things now...

new case

new motherboard

new cpu

i think that's all? ah i prolly have to buy a windows xp home edtition service pack 2...anyone know where i can get it cheap ($200 no wonder bill gates is rich lol)

so many choices i don't know what one to pick. cpus are tricky too...should i just go for a combo motherboard/cpu or should i buy them separate?

i spliced my left index finger deep last night while pulling out the pci-e card. good thing i didnt need stitches. :)

Well, what are you looking for in a PC game, Keyan? Call of Duty 4 is an excellent game as it is, but the single player is good for only about 15 hours of playtime, so if you're only looking for an SP experience, then another game might be better. On the other hand if you want some crazy, fast and fun MP action, then CoD4 delivers that in bunches.

15, it sounds like you need a whole new computer. What are you bringing over from your old one and are you sure it's just the CPU and mobo you need replaced? Newegg is a good site to order parts from (they have an OEM edition of XP Home SP2 for cheap too), so tell us what your budget for this is so we can make better recommendations.

I switched through the channels yesterday and found some err *interesting* programme on the sports channel. If I remember it right my exact thoughts were: "WTF???"

Then, when I looked up the Electronic Programme Guide, everything began to make more less sense.

The EPG said: 21:00 - curling

°,O

I don't get it, what are they doing there, and why?

ok this is what i have that i plan to use from my old computer:

500 watt psu

160gb sata hd

2 512 ddr2 sticks ram

cdrw drive

dvd drive

radeon x300 128mb pci-e card

i was looking at some motherboard/cpu combos on tigerdirect and this one looked like a good deal: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3618458&sku=MBM-M2N560-3800

and this case: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1215768&sku=ULT31824

i'm only wanna spend up to $300 (on the hardware). (better video card can wait and they are fairly cheap anyway) I've already spent about $80 on the psu and the hard drive together. ($30 for psu and $50 for hd) The DDR2 ram, PSU, and HD did not come with the computer originally.

thanks for the link to Windows XP, niner

Well, what are you looking for in a PC game, Keyan? Call of Duty 4 is an excellent game as it is, but the single player is good for only about 15 hours of playtime, so if you're only looking for an SP experience, then another game might be better. On the other hand if you want some crazy, fast and fun MP action, then CoD4 delivers that in bunches.

15 hours sounds like a long time to me. I don't really play multiplayer games, since I hate other people.

Those parts look good, 15. The case is a might expensive, but eh, that's your personal choice.

And Keyan, those 15 hours go by waaaaaaaaaaay, waaaaaay fast. Trust me. Afterwards, there's just a marginal amount of playability and you'll have ended up spending $50 on something you only played for a day or two.

Well... I did a 16+ hour shift at work yesterday.

That felt like a REAAAAAAAALLLLLLLY long time.

I almost never play any particular game more than an hour a day. A game like that would last me weeks.

Actually... I already own that one, and it has already lasted me weeks. Maybe a couple of months.

But then,.. when you are working 16 hour days, it doesn't leave much time for gaming.

I have an easy one today: Only about 10 or 12 hours.

what genre are you aiming towards? Oblivion is pretty good if you like RPGs.

yeah i'm also still trying to beat cod4. i gave up trying on veteran so i put it on recruit to get me through the 'one shot one kill' mission. i've had cod4 since december. i would've already beaten it but i was stubborn and wanted to go through the whole game on the hardest difficulty level available. the multiplayer in that game is the best i've played on a first person shooter.

And Keyan, those 15 hours go by waaaaaaaaaaay, waaaaaay fast. Trust me. Afterwards, there's just a marginal amount of playability and you'll have ended up spending $50 on something you only played for a day or two.

Actually, I prefer shorter games. It makes it a lot less daunting to start them, because you don't have to wonder if you'll be able to finish it if real life gets in the way. I always replay games. Heck, I played the Jedi Outcast demo for about 100 hours. Anyway, I haven't even tried the demo of CoD4 yet, so I still don't know if I'm going to bother with this. Honestly, I haven't been too impressed with games, recently. I might hit up eBay for a classic that I missed out on instead.

mmm a friend from work has a friend that is selling his motherboard and cpu for $50....think i'll go with that. it has a pci-e slot and the cpu is decent (better than my old one) so i think i'll go for it. all i would need is the case, if his friend doesn't wanna include it, and windows xp.

well the new deal is:

cpu: amd dual core 2.2 ghz

ram: 2 gigs of ram (corsair and crucial balistix)

mobo: has 9 sata ports 2 ide plugs, u can run crossfire.

all that for $210 and the case is included. i'm thinking this is a nice deal too. hmm yep made up my mind, i'm gonna roll with it. tho i have to wait til april for when his friend gets in his new computer, but i can wait. :)

Shift ended earlier than I had expected yesterday. Got home and managed to catch up on some sleep... though I feel like I can still use a lot more.

Today should be pretty easy and straight ahead. I hope...

I know I've said that before, though...

Get Empire at War. :)

Don't like RTSs...or RPGs. All of my PC games are pretty much space combat sims or FPS. I was thinking of trying Battlefront 2, but there doesn't seem to be a demo. Anyway, I played some Battlefront game on X-Box once, and it was pretty boring. Maybe I need to go back a few years. Maybe I'll check out CoD2 or Far Cry.

get battlefront 2!!!! it's $10 at walmart, so is republic commando. i haven't tried either, well besides the demos. :) on the xbox. lol can't wait to get my pc set up.

hmm space combat sims.....i dunno. *cough*star wars galaxies jump to lightspeed*cough* ok i'm biased.....lol

I switched through the channels yesterday and found some err *interesting* programme on the sports channel. If I remember it right my exact thoughts were: "WTF???"

Then, when I looked up the Electronic Programme Guide, everything began to make more less sense.

The EPG said: 21:00 - curling

°,O

I don't get it, what are they doing there, and why?

I play curling, and the season just ended where I am. You might have had the Women's world championships. Sadly the US team didn't do to well (Two of the members are from my club). THis year my club as become one of the best. We had teams that won the Mens and womens junior nationals, club nationals, mens junior worlds, bronze medal for senior mens worlds, etc etc

Curling is best described as chess on ice, and I think is one of the true team sports where on each shot, all members of the team participate in perfecting the shot. The person throwing (shooting) tries to make the shot, the skip (captain) calls the shots and makes the sweep calls, and the sweepers make weight calls and sweep (as needed) to make the rock go farther, and straighter.

hmm i was messing with my sister's computer (the one i had been using at the apartment since november) and somehow managed to get the cd drive to work. installing swg, but i doubt it will run or even load at only 512mb of DDR ram. i'd throw parts to my computer in it, but the motherboard on hers has nowhere to hold them. them being the SATA hds, PCI-E Card, and DDR2 RAM. GRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr well, at least i'm learning how to tear apart and rebuild computers. i threw my new psu in hers for a minute to see if it did indeed work, and it works fine, i was a bit upset that i couldn't throw the sata hds in to verify that those were fine. o well! pretty damned sure it's the motherboard.

Get "The Orange Box" if you haven't done all the HL2 episodes, plus Portal... which was amazingly excellent, if unfortunately short.

Then Halo 2 is out for PC now, right? (Vista only, however, I think...)

I was thinking about trying Half-Life 2, but I actually didn't like Half-Life 1 all that much (I know, I know). Is it similar? And I have played Halo and Halo 2 - didn't like either of them.

I think the last FPS I REALLY enjoyed was Jedi Outcast. Jedi Academy was OK, and Doom 3 honestly wasn't horrible, but it went on WAY too long, and I got pretty bored with it. I did love TimeSplitters 2 and Serious Sam on the GameCube, though.

I don't know. Maybe I'll just forget about the whole thing and write some songs instead. Haven't done that for a long time.

I never played HL 1, so I have no real comparison.

The HL 2 games are cool for that FPS genre... but if you aren't a fan of FPSes, they may not do anything for you.

I'm not a huge fan myself... but I like these ones.

Try a demo if you can still find one.

I'd also recommend the KOTOR series, which I have just gotten into... but you say you don't like RPGs. They are really good though, so you may not mind these ones.

But perhaps you are best to wait for 'Force Unleashed' at this point.

yeah KotOR is awesome. have you tried Republic Commando? it seems you like the star wars fps' the most, maybe give it a try?

I just installed rc on my sis' computer but her video card sux so it ctd'd. -_- my dvd drive works at least, am installing swg right now, think that will have the same problem...it has 512mb ram, takes DDR1 so need to get 2 512s or 2 1gbs to fix the speed issues i think. and i could get a pci (not pci-e) card. not sure how much it would cost to get all that done. probably around $100.

Archived